Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCAM: Spanish Lottery

• 02-12-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭

My partner just received a letter telling them they had won money in a Spanish lottery (which they never entered), will have a scan of the letter in a little while but for now just getting the word out.

Its a phishing expedition as they look for lots of personal details. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How is this any different then a 419?, if somebody is dumb enough to fall for these types of things they almost deserve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Its been going on for years - I had received every penny of every lottery I've been told I've won, and gave it to Mr Lenihan, then there'd be no need for the IMF and I'd have change left over:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Will Hannifan on the Ray D'Arcy show got one of these a couple of weeks back, and they rang the number on air. A representative of the Ministro De Hacienda spoke to them in a suspiciously Nigerian accent, while claiming to be Spanish. When asked if the Ministro De Hacienda was actually the minister for houses, the guy replied that no, it was obviously the Minister for Finance. When asked who the Spanish Minister for Finance was, the guy had no idea what they were talking about.

What they look for is for you to fax your name and address to them (why fax, I don't know, seems quite odd), then they issue you with the cheque. All they ask is that you send them some fees afterwards, which I think is several thousand euro or something like that.

Would be worth doing, just to get the fake cheque. My alter-ego, Póg Mahony, has several pretty good looking fake bank drafts to his name at this time. Might frame them some day, see if I can get up to the Million Euro mark. I wonder would the IMF accept them as a down payment on our loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

419 scams will have you sending money to Nigeria/Ghana primarily they'll involve investment and inheritance scams ie invest in an oil well or assist in getting my rich dead uncles money out of the country.

Lotto scams usually involve Spain and then to a somewhat lesser extent in the last couple of years Canada.

New ones out and about are loan scams which oddly enough involve fake loan companies offering small sums but in turn small upfront 'fees' are required. Almost always go to India.

errr.... Buying a dog scam where the pedigree dog is supposedly in another county but the money needs to be sent to Cameroon. Always Cameroon, never quite figured why they cornered this particular one...

Source: I work for a money transfer business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Western Onion

• Advertisement
Advertisement