Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonisphere Festival UK 2011

Options
  • 02-12-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

On Monday evening, usually around 6pm GMT, Sonisphere 2011 will have it's first announcement. I went to the 2010 incarnation and was generally pleased with the running, organisation and general mood of the festival. Held in Knebworth also helps add to the atmospheric vibe.

France and Italy will also be getting a Sonisphere this year.

However, UK have announced their dates as July 8th and 10th, moving it just too close (for my personal liking) to Download - I think a lot of people who attended Download also attended Sonisphere and in this economic climate having to make a direct choice between both festivals will see both festivals suffer as a result.

Considering the Foo Fighters are also rumoured for Download, and are intending on performing as T In The Park headliners (as well as their own MK Bowl performances) I would imagine it's highly unlikely they will turn up. Blink 182 have a gap in their European tour the weekend of Sonisphere and it is possible they could perform. Metallica are anyone's guess.

Rumoured Performers: Blink 182, Foo Fighters and Metallica

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Fingers crossed for the Big 4.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Slipknot confirmed

The first of the headliners can already be revealed. Iowa’s favourite sons, Slipknot will perform this summer at Sonisphere, including an exclusive UK performance at Knebworth.

One of the biggest bands in the world, UK headbangers have embraced their fiercely heavy yet enchantingly melodic sound from the off, with 1999’s “Slipknot” album achieving platinum status here. What followed was a meteoric rise to superstardom the likes of which the metal scene had never known; Top 40 singles, sold out arena tours and a media frenzy that left no one in any doubt that Slipknot’s impact in the world of music would be a permanent one. Since then, the Maggots – or Slipknot fans to the uninitiated – have ensured subsequent albums have all reached top 5 chart positions, and that there is always a warm welcome when they occupy the arenas or festival fields of the UK.

Now Slipknot returns, bringing their famously chaotic live show to Knebworth for the first time. The summer dates mark their first without founding member, Paul Gray who tragically passed away earlier this year.

Say Slipknot: “We’re looking forward to spending our summer in Europe. This tour is about us and our fans. It’s about celebrating the life of our brother, Paul and his legacy. The door is neither open nor closed. This tour is about burning down that door. See you this summer.”

UK festival goers are in for a devastating delight, when the green grass of Knebworth shakes with the vibrations of tens of thousands of Maggots moshing in unison.

Look out for Monday’s announcement with more line up and full ticketing and on-sale info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Not a big fan of Slipknot so it still looks like Download for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

If think Download has another announcement on Monday to go with System of a Down and Avenged Sevenfold \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

If think Download has another announcement on Monday to go with System of a Down and Avenged Sevenfold \m/

Sonisphere also has another big announcement on Monday

Whoever announces the original Van Halen with David Lee Roth first gets my vote

• Advertisement

Sonisphere also has another big announcement on Monday

Whoever announces the original Van Halen with David Lee Roth first gets my vote

And mine...but I read an interview with Eddie's wife where she said they wouldn't be gigging 2011, but would be in the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

And mine...but I read an interview with Eddie's wife where she said they wouldn't be gigging 2011, but would be in the studio.

There was some thing with Live Nation where it said tours by 'X, Y, and Van Halen' would prop up next years profits.

FYI, High Voltage has an anouncement on Tuesday!!!

It looks as if the various promoters are announcing early for the christmas prezzie sale, there will be a lot of punters who will limit themselves to one festival in 2011 due to finances. I think Sonisphere moving so close to Download too won't help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Biffy Clyro ?Headliners? they were on at 4 o clock oxegen this year! Loving the abuse on the sonisphere facebook.

They're not even the small friday night headliner like Alice Cooper, they're the full blown staurday night headliner. Good Attempts at being the younger, 'cool3r' festival, and although it will be an exclusive festival performance (Foo fighters shows) Biffy aren't exactly rare performers in england. A poor headliner.

Will admit Biffy are a weird selection but didnt Lostprophets and MCR headline download? . Plus Biffy are one of the best live bands around

• Advertisement

This will just make my decision easier to go to Download over this.

Though Sonisphere have an bloody good initiative where they will give you a free weekend ticket to Nova Rock in Austria or tickets to two Sonisphere events in Czech Republic and Poland if you buy your ticket early.

This will just make my decision easier to go to Download over this.

Though Sonisphere have an bloody good initiative where they will give you a free weekend ticket to Nova Rock in Austria or tickets to two Sonisphere events in Czech Republic and Poland if you buy your ticket early.

That's great isn't it? Apparently you have to be very quick though. And whichever festival they gave it away too last year, was actually only one day anyway. I think it was big 4 day though.... But still! Not 2 whole festivals.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Biffy as a headliner is a bit of a weird choice, surley that must be the 2nd stage?

Nope. Main stage saturday.

Will admit Biffy are a weird selection but didnt Lostprophets and MCR headline download? . Plus Biffy are one of the best live bands around

:eek: Woah there Lesley! Biffy Clyro are a good live band, a great live band.

But are they festival headliners? No, no.

:eek: Woah there Lesley! Biffy Clyro are a good live band, a great live band.

But are they festival headliners? No, no.

Fair enough there not headliners yet , but were MCR or Lostprophets?

MCR where huge when Black Parade hit the UK, so at the time it was kinda justified. Lostprophets being Welsh always get put up high on the bill at UK festivals.

granted neither are great headliners but i can see why they where chosen. I'm sure biffy will be great, but its a bit of a cop out.

I didn't think MCR looked out of place whatever year they headlined, but imo Feeder in 2005 and Lostprophets in 2008 were absolute jokes to have headlining Download. Both these bands played the Academy the last time they were in Dublin.

Same goes for Biffy Clyro... I would have thought Sonisphere would secure bigger names.

MCR where huge when Black Parade hit the UK, so at the time it was kinda justified. Lostprophets being Welsh always get put up high on the bill at UK festivals.

granted neither are great headliners but i can see why they where chosen. I'm sure biffy will be great, but its a bit of a cop out.

Agreed about MCR and the Black Parade but Only Revolutions has been massive for Biffy aswell since they just did a very succesful Arena Tour . I can understand my people are a bit pee'd off but i think Sonisphere will be the chance to show if they can or cant pull off being headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

The only way i can see why they've chosen Biffy is to try and turn Sonisphere into a Reading/Leeds type fest, 1 day metal, 1 day Indie.

I honestly can't think of any other reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

I find all this fuss quiet funny! Biffy have been absolutley huge this year, with a sellout arena tour to cap things off!
    This on the back of their most mainstream album yes, I would imagine(and hope) that such a setlist for a headline performance like this will be dominated by the first 3 albums. That would be something special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, and Biffy are Scottish, but they aren't being pushed up that much.
    HBK wrote: »
    I find all this fuss quiet funny! Biffy have been absolutley huge this year, with a sellout arena tour to cap things off!
    This on the back of their most mainstream album yes, I would imagine(and hope) that such a setlist for a headline performance like this will be dominated by the first 3 albums. That would be something special :)

+1 on this. Whilst I am very shocked they are headlining, I could not be happier for them. Cracking band live, and if they play enough from their first three albums, and certain ones from the latest 2, they will go down very well at it.

Besides, download only announced Linkin Park...serious win for Sonisphere there, and I'm deciding between the two. So far its day ticket Download, maybe Soni, and day ticket/full weekend High Voltage.

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    Yeah, and Biffy are Scottish, but they aren't being pushed up that much.

+1 on this. Whilst I am very shocked they are headlining, I could not be happier for them. Cracking band live, and if they play enough from their first three albums, and certain ones from the latest 2, they will go down very well at it.

Besides, download only announced Linkin Park...serious win for Sonisphere there, and I'm deciding between the two. So far its day ticket Download, maybe Soni, and day ticket/full weekend High Voltage.

Yea the fact Biffy are playing Soni means you will prob get more from the earlier albums since they were more heavier which is great news even though i do like a few tracks off Only Rev and Puzzle .

Also the fact Biffy sound great live and are energetic is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Another announcement tonight :D

Another announcement tonight :D

Unless this is truly special I can't see myself attending this festival, I'm pretty much not going as it is

Unless this is truly special I can't see myself attending this festival, I'm pretty much not going as it is
    Only if its big 4 will I go, thats all that can convince me

The BIG 4 will play Soni on the Friday

FCUK YEAHHHHHHHHHH

Guys, can you get day tickets? no way I can afford the whole weekend

I'm there

Yes, I said it, it would have to be big

**** BIFFY

BIG FOUR, AND ON THE FRIDAY!

I think that means a Dublin gig people?

Sweet jesus I hope your right mate

I'm there

Yes, I said it, it would have to be big

**** BIFFY

BIG FOUR, AND ON THE FRIDAY!

That would save me so much travellin, i fcukin hate goin back to the UK

• Advertisement

Last time I did a Metallica show in the UK it cost a bomb for 2 of us (Wembley) and that was just before the recession really hit =/ praying for a Dublin date

Advertisement