Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a battery charger

• 02-12-2010 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I have to recharge a YB14L-A2 battery which has gone down to 11.84v. I got a lend of a battery charger which specifies a minimum of 20ah plus the output is 4 a dc( 6a rms). However the specs on the battery recommend a charge current of 1.4 amp since it is a 14 ah battery. Is it safe to use this battery charger ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This charger would technically charge your battery in approx 3 hours.

The output of the charger is higher than the battery manufacturer specifies, and therefore it is not recommended that you use the charger you have borrowed.

In the worst case, it could charge your battery too quickly and cause it to explode.

If the battery is not sealed - that is you can unscrew the caps for each cell - you should be alright IF you charge the battery for an hour at at time. Then check the charge.

I would be sure to do it outside, and I would only plug in the charger once the caps have been removed and the clamps of the charger connected to the battery posts.

After an hour I would then unplug the charger from the wall before removing the clamps and replacing the caps.

If the battery is sealed, I wouldn't charge it with the charger you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

The charger you borrowed is too strong for your bike battery. It is more suited for a car.
    Dedicated bike battery chargers generally output 1 amp or lower, which won't cook your battery like that 4 amp will.
    If you have to use that charger, check the state of charge in the battery every 1/2 hour.
    If this works for you to get you out of an immediate hole, keep in mind that it might shorten the life of your battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

Pkiernan wrote: »
    This charger would technically charge your battery in approx 3 hours.

The output of the charger is higher than the battery manufacturer specifies, and therefore it is not recommended that you use the charger you have borrowed.

In the worst case, it could charge your battery too quickly and cause it to explode.

If the battery is not sealed - that is you can unscrew the caps for each cell - you should be alright IF you charge the battery for an hour at at time. Then check the charge.

I would be sure to do it outside, and I would only plug in the charger once the caps have been removed and the clamps of the charger connected to the battery posts.

After an hour I would then unplug the charger from the wall before removing the clamps and replacing the caps.

If the battery is sealed, I wouldn't charge it with the charger you have.
    Chippy01 wrote: »
    The charger you borrowed is too strong for your bike battery. It is more suited for a car.
    Dedicated bike battery chargers generally output 1 amp or lower, which won't cook your battery like that 4 amp will.
    If you have to use that charger, check the state of charge in the battery every 1/2 hour.
    If this works for you to get you out of an immediate hole, keep in mind that it might shorten the life of your battery.

I can get a 2 amp charger or should i go out and buy a 0.5amp trickle charger ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Darith wrote: »
    I can get a 2 amp charger or should i go out and buy a 0.5amp trickle charger ?

With a 0.5 amp charger, you will be there literally all day trying to charge your battery.

A 2 amp charger should do you fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Why not invest in a motorcycle (trickle) charger and wire the harness on to the bike so you can plug in when the bike is not in use. (permitting that you ahve a mains outlet near the bike).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Darith

Just bought a trickle 1.25 amp charger from Halfords which is working fine.

Advertisement