Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to neuteur a small male dog?

• 02-12-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭

He's a now ten week old Jack Russell pup. Not planning to neuteur him until he's five to six months.

Just wanted to get an idea of cost.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

All vets charge different prices so no one can say for def, but you are probably looking between 100-200.

Thought you were looking to get a Bichon, how come you went with a Jack Russell? They shed an awful lot and thought you wanted to get a Bichon because they dont shed too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I got my in-laws large collie done this time last year and it was 110 euro, this was out the country tho, if you're in the city you might be paying those 'city prices' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

65 euro in west wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We paid *I think* €110 (ish) in Mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

In my vets it's 90 for a male and 130 for a female (ridiculous prices :rolleyes:) I know some people who have managed to get it for 28 euro on either social welfare or disability allowance.

Oh and the youngest a dog can be neutered is 6 months :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

My black lab is 12 months old now. Just the last few days some of the hair on his balls fell off and its just skin now and he keeps licking them.

He doesnt seem to be in any pain tho running about as normal, any ideas whats up with him, was thinking of gettign him neutered and this has just made my mind up as I was reading that it can lead to less problems down the line

any ideas

thanks paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

should be around the hundred mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I was quoted €190-€220 depending on the size of the dog (for anaesthetic administration) for my great dane in a clinic in dublin city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

My black lab is 12 months old now. Just the last few days some of the hair on his balls fell off and its just skin now and he keeps licking them.

He doesnt seem to be in any pain tho running about as normal, any ideas whats up with him, was thinking of gettign him neutered and this has just made my mind up as I was reading that it can lead to less problems down the line

any ideas

thanks paddy

He may be suffering from frost bite on his feet and as a result of the irritation he's licking. He may also be suffering with salt irritation (from salted roads/drives etc.), and is licking to ease it. If he keeps at them he'll need to see a vet to make sure the skin isn't infected. Try soaking them in warm, salty water and then rinsing them in warm clear water. This will help east them and also will give you a chance to have a good look at them.

OP - on the neutering front, it should cost around the €100 mark (maybe more, maybe less). If you ring around local vets they will be able to give you a quote. Make sure that the base cost includes everything and that you don't need to pay extra for things like buster collar, after care painkillers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I had out Papillon neutered last year and he'd be in or around the size of a small JR it cost €70.00 at a vets in Co Laoise.
    It's worth shopping around just phone a few vets in your area, obviously go with a reliable caring vet, but prices vary hugely so like with anything it's worth shopping around. I would of been charged a lot more if I went to a vet that's 5-10 minutes nearer but it was worth the short drive I saved if I remember rightly at least €30 by using another vet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

andreac wrote: »
    Thought you were looking to get a Bichon, how come you went with a Jack Russell? They shed an awful lot and thought you wanted to get a Bichon because they dont shed too much.

Do you ever stop?

My local vet in Cavan has told me €80 and that includes an antibiotic for three days. Have to wait until the little fella is 6 months old.

Seems like a decent enough price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Lemlin wrote: »
    Do you ever stop?My local vet in Cavan has told me €80 and that includes an antibiotic for three days. Have to wait until the little fella is 6 months old.

Seems like a decent enough price though.

Huh?:confused:
    I was only wondering why you went for a jack russell as i know you were looking for a Bichon recently as they dont shed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

If your on social welfare payments you may qualify for a voucher towards costs.

My vet has a book of vouchers for people who have to meet certain criteria and for example neuter cost is approx. €140 and the voucher covers approximately €120 of the €140.

I think the vouchers are funded by some animal welfare organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yes, they are sponsored by Dogs Trust. Not every vet participates in the scheme but you can ring around. Also, there are only a certain number of vouchers available annually per vet, so again, ask around. If you qualify for the scheme then it is 20 Euros regardless of whether it is a spay or a neuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

EGAR wrote: »
    Yes, they are sponsored by Dogs Trust. Not every vet participates in the scheme but you can ring around. Also, there are only a certain number of vouchers available annually per vet, so again, ask around. If you qualify for the scheme then it is 20 Euros regardless of whether it is a spay or a neuter.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the difference between a spay and a neuteur?

And I'm not on welfare so would be paying myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

No difference. Female dogs are spayed, dogs are neutered. Spays are biggers ops though and therefore more expensive.

Advertisement