Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest OS?

Options
  • 02-12-2010 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

So I'm getting p*ssed off at how long it takes my comps to boot into a simple browser.

I installed xpud which was extremely fast (and simple to install as a dual boot)but lacked in some areas.
    1) Mic wouldn't work (but yet the sound and video did)
    2) Didn't really work well with skype - remembering the password

On the other hand it used firefox and worked pretty well with all web pages.

So I'm looking to get something like xpud that is fast to boot into skype / browser but has better support.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

if you have an SSD in your machine you might consider google's chromium OS... I think they have 4 sec boot but their goal is 1 sec to browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Isn't that only in Alpha?
    I was looking at Jolicloud there - its pretty interesting. I think I'll uninstall xpud and install that along side windows and see how it works.

Min requirements I want are:
    fast boot
    browser
    skype app (with video and audio working)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 infoTurtle

well, it might not be OS, it could be the speed of you ram/motherboard. There only so fast your PC will run at the end of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

If its just a browser you want try browserlinux

http://www.browserlinux.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Its a browser and skype really. The machine(laptop) is fairly fast - Sony dual core, 4 gb ram, 250gb hd, etc...

I installed Jolicloud over lunch time there. It looks well cool - but typically it doesn't work. Skype won't seem to run on it, even thought it says it should. I'll have a look at the logs later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Sniipe wrote: »
    Isn't that only in Alpha?
    Well I read it's pretty close now ... and I have been using "beta" gmail for more years than I care to remember. So there is a good chance it's reasonably stable! But I see you have a HDD so I don't think it would work anyway .. I think an SSD is a minimum requirement.

Hexxeh looks interesting. I must have a look at that! Is that, do you know, a chromium OS in the same way that the chromium browser is chrome without all the google "spyware" (for want of a better word!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'm not sure tbh, I thought it was some build of ChromeOS when I gave it a try it on my laptop, (it didn't run too well from LiveCD, a bit sluggish, might be better installing to the HD)

OP if you have a HP Pavillion or Mini laptop you might be able to get Splashtop, supposedly "Instant On" for it.
    http://os.splashtop.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Yes it is. Chromium os is to chrome os what chromium browser is to Chrome. I've been using it on a netbook for a long time.
    Your hardware may not be suitable,
    but if it is, it'll fly.
    I'd suggest the last actual hexxeh build, flow I think,
    as it has better hardware support than the latest ones.
    The current Vanilla is generated nightly from Google's tree, so is pretty up to date.

Advertisement