Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Volunteering abroad in healthcare?

• 02-12-2010 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I just finished a four year degree in nutritional science and am interested in volunteering abroad on a project in which I can use the skills I developed during my degree. I studied relevant areas like third world development, parasites + microbiology etc.. I am wondering is my degree alone enough to qualify me to get involved in health care projects? I am totally new to all of this and have no idea where to start researching as I've heard about so many dodgy 'charities' where things can go very wrong for people. Can anyone give me any tips on how to start my search? Are there any organizations that I could talk to about getting involved in this area specifically?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

They may look for relevant experience alright but you have to start somewhere anyway, maybe they would have something at least semi-relevant. To get started and more information on what you are thinking you could try contacting: Irish Aid volunteering and information centre
    Médecins Sans Frontières
    For a general look at what volunteering abroad might entail and possible positions abroad Volunteering options has a good set of information available.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You have one or two days left to apply for SUAS. You may not get to use your skills directly but it's a nice way to get into volunteering.

Also check out VSO and VSI. Both would help you get a placement overseas. You may have to fundraise around €1000 for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Thanks for the feedback guys! :)

Advertisement