Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atari 2600 from States

• 02-12-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I might be able to aquire a 2600 woody from the states in the coming days. I know some PAL games might have colours swapped but:

1) Do I need a step down transformer, I persume they werent dual back then:D?
    2) Any problems working on a PAL TV?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't know anything about NTSC Atari 2600s...but in general all consoles from the states will require a step down as they run on 110v rather than our 220v.

Also, as it's an old console, it's not going to be outputting RGB, just a normal NTSC signal. Therefore you'll have to make sure your tv is NTSC compatible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yup, a step down, unless you like the smell of burning Atari's, which is possible I guess...

Most tvs can handle an NTSC signal, shouldn't be too much of an issue these days...

There should be enough 2600 woodys floating about these parts though, why import?

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Most tvs can handle an NTSC signal, shouldn't be too much of an issue these days...

If you're using a CRT they more than likely won't support NTSC (Unless you use RGB) And with a 2600 you'd be crazy to use anything but a CRT!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have to disagree, I have used import consoles for years and years and never had an issue with watching an RF based NTSC signal.
    Of course, I may have been spoiled by my lovely Sony CRT....

Master of the Universe

As you said, it's because you have a fancy Trinitron. That's not a standard CRT television. The vast majority of standard PAL CRT tvs do not support NTSC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Why is everyone here step-down mad? Just buy a PAL psu/plug for it, none of the power components are in the console and are all in the plug. 9v I think...

Master of the Universe

Duh! Stupid me, of course. The Atari 2600 PSU is external, so you won't need a step down if you can just replace it with a 220v PSU.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Duh! Stupid me, of course. The Atari 2600 PSU is external, so you won't need a step down if you can just replace it with a 220v PSU.

Now we're talkin' :cool: That head cold must have you really whacked out man :pac:

Master of the Universe

Tell me about it! I thought that as I had the day off I'd use it to play some games.

A word of warning - vector graphics and a woozy head do not make for an enjoyable experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

I was thinking that alright, regarding the power, I just wanted to be sure. Hope I can get my hands on one now before Chrimbo.

Hope you enoyed your day of o1s1n:pac:

Have to get back to my web design project, I am doing it on the greatest of all machines, the mighty C64!!!!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

djsim101 wrote: »

I woke up to a phone call notifying me of a job promotion. Played about 2 hours of Fallout NV, watched some trash daytime tv, played 2 more hours of Fallout NV, played Super Mario World (Changed the battery and started it again, so much fun), played about 5 minutes of Vectrex before feeling ill, back to Fallout NV for a few more hours...then out to play in the snow with my missus. If it wasn't for me feeling sick it would have been a perfect day :)
    Have to get back to my web design project, I am doing it on the greatest of all machines, the mighty C64!!!!

Oooh cool! Will you be putting that up for all to see or is it for your eyes only? I'd love to get a look.

Job promotion, oh..... no recession here:) I am out of work so I have a lot of time to spend here... Fair play on the promotion though.

I will of course be putting it up, some of ye might find it boring cos its about the history of the Commodore company and different C64 models etc. It is my first site so ye better go easy;) Everyone else in the course is doing something business like, not me:cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I was thinking that alright, regarding the power, I just wanted to be sure. Hope I can get my hands on one now before Chrimbo.

if you get one , let us know where , as I need one too!

if you get one , let us know where , as I need one too!

Same here :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I will of course be putting it up, some of ye might find it boring cos its about the history of the Commodore company and different C64 models etc.

Boring? No chance. Have a special place in my heart for the C64 and all things Commodore. Look forward to seeing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I think a maplin variable adaptor should do the trick , you need a :
    9V DC 500Ma Positive Tip adaptor as far as I know , but you'd want to get it right unless you like seeing smoke come out of your console. ;)

Of course, I have a couple of those adaptors, they were really popular back in the days of electronic toys of the 70's and 80's, when there were half a dozen different connectors, voltages etc.
    I use them on the Jaguar, 2600, Grundig Pong clone amongst others.

ebay is our friend lads, only place I can see me getting one. There are times where people would be selling more than one, one guy was selling 4 X Atari 2600s. Maybe we could go in halfs:)

Advertisement