Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick Flash Mobs

• 02-12-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is any group of people who would do Flash Mobs in Limerick City?

Cheers,
    Cillian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Surely having such a group would be contrary to what a flashmob actually is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

been done a few times around the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Hey Guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there is any group of people who would do Flash Mobs in Limerick City?

Cheers,
    Cillian

I asked on here about that before, no replies unfortunately
    concussion wrote: »
    Surely having such a group would be contrary to what a flashmob actually is?

Flash mobs need to be choreographed which is the essence of their charm, prior contact is needed to make that happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

see video above. personally I dont think its well executed, they need to be more subtle about it, but fair play for effort!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

zuroph wrote: »
    see video above. personally I dont think its well executed, they need to be more subtle about it, but fair play for effort!

A bit like this one,they obviously put in alot of effort

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

krudler wrote: »

been done a few times around the city

Too many chavs/scumbags hanging around...but thats Limerick for ya :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Too many chavs/scumbags hanging around...but thats Limerick for ya :(

Will ya go away with that rubbish. Why did you even quote that video when it proves what you said to be totally wrong?

OP, here's another example of one that was very well done. It was a college effort from the start of the year, but I think a few members of the public got involved along the way too:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

A bit like this one,they obviously put in alot of effort

This really made me smile! :D.Brilliant!

I'd love to accidently be in the right place at the right time to see something like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,317 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The flash mob dance from this year's Eurovison was pretty good and well co-ordinated:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I was looking at the Mary I ones earlier, which is what gave me the idea to ask - it would be an intersting project to partake in, which is why I want to get involved :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Flash mobs need to be choreographed which is the essence of their charm, prior contact is needed to make that happen!

No, dance troupes/smart mobs need to be choreographed, which is the essence of their charm. THEY need prior contact for their performance.

A flash mob is an unarranged, unchoreographed sudden gathering of people who don't know each other to perform a bizarre activity for a brief period of time. The only thing they know is an order! Like the world pillow fight day flash mobs, people were told to show up at a certain place with a pillow and beat the crap out of everyone with it for a certain period of time and then just walk away....that's a flash mob.

Sorry this whole labeling everything as a flash mob is a pet peeve of mine =\

magicianz wrote: »
    No, dance troupes/smart mobs need to be choreographed, which is the essence of their charm. THEY need prior contact for their performance.

A flash mob is an unarranged, unchoreographed sudden gathering of people who don't know each other to perform a bizarre activity for a brief period of time. The only thing they know is an order! Like the world pillow fight day flash mobs, people were told to show up at a certain place with a pillow and beat the crap out of everyone with it for a certain period of time and then just walk away....that's a flash mob.

Sorry this whole labeling everything as a flash mob is a pet peeve of mine =\

Jeeezus

Ok so choreographed was the wrong word, but they do need to have prior contact to know when and where to turn up no?

Yes, a small bit of prior contact is needed ofc that's obvious, but there's a difference between flash mobs and people showing up and performing an organised dance/activity :o

Flash mobs are about shock and surprise, not charm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

I must be well outta touch, I thought you were lookin for a load of perverts to drop their trousers on front of young girls or somethin:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm mainly looking for one that would be arranged before hand, but people don't know whats going on and would join in, but even for the other one, it would work too.

Yes, a small bit of prior contact is needed ofc that's obvious, but there's a difference between flash mobs and people showing up and performing an organised dance/activity :o

Ok, what am I missing here, there is prior contact where people are told when and where to turn up and what dance moves to perform and that isn't considered choreographed?

Flash mobs - told where - told when - given a general task e.g. Pillow fight.

dance troupe/smart mob - told where - told when - taught a set sequence of activities in advance of the event e.g. Dance routine.

See the diff now?

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mdrizzle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭shell10

flash mobs can be absolutly unreal if pulled off properly . to me i think it does need to be a bit coreagraphed as u don't want it to look lik dancers practicin on the street!!

best of luck wit it tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

OP, get in contact with the Dance Club in UL, they've done them in the past. Lots of dance groups around would probably do the same I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

there is plenty of shock and surprise on the streets of limerick tbh..

without flash mobs..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

There's an actual (but already been done) flash-mob happening in UL - turn up with a pillow. Can't remember the details but it's up on Facebook somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

CiaranMT wrote: »
    OP, get in contact with the Dance Club in UL, they've done them in the past. Lots of dance groups around would probably do the same I reckon.

Yeah, there was some pretty epic stuff done during election week last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

bazz26 wrote: »
    The flash mob dance from this year's Eurovison was pretty good and well co-ordinated:

I think the people from Mary I were involved in the Dublin scene from Eurovision.

Advertisement