Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes: Fast Acting Insulin

Options
  • 02-12-2010 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Question for the diabetics...

I use NovaRapid and I've heard the blurb that it's supposed to start working after five minutes and be gone out of your system after three hours - is that accurate for you guys?

I've had varying results. Yesterday 2 units of n/r brought my bloods down by 4 units after 3 hours, but today, after three hours, 2 units had no effect. Also, yesterday after 3 hours my b/gs stopped falling, today it seems like the n/r only really started working after 3 hours.
    I'm as sure as I can be that the lantus isn't at play here, and I don't *think* injection sites are an issue. I've also pretty much ruled out dodgy pen, used fresh needles etc - this is something I've suspected for a while but never quantified.

so essentially, do you use novarapid, and if you do, does it start working quickly and stop working predictibly? I've been doing some reading and the opinion seems to be that you can get "used" to a type of insulin after a bit, so maybe I need a change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I use it - I would imagine that there were other fators at play as to why the insulin appeared to be less effective/worked differently. I know that if I inject in certain spots the insulin appears to go into my bloodstream at a different rate. I have found that stress, previous severe low's, time of the month (not applicable for you (or me at the moment :))), the GI of foods, health (eg if I have a cold) and exercise all greatly change how insulin works with me - it just means that I have to test regularly.

Edit: I know that you said about your injection spots being OK but different spots act differently, well at least for me (can only inject at the side now as do not like the idea of doing it near my unborn child).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

make sure you AIR JAB and hold the pen in for a few seconds after pressing the plunger.

Are you just taking the novo to decrease BG separate from meals? or are you eating at these times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It seems to be just when I'm using it for corrections. Fast acting ratio is 1:1 (ie 1 unit for 10 grams of cho ), and that seems to do the trick. It's not just the odd time either, it's pretty consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

That happens to me all the time, even now im on apidra on the pump.

For me it depends how many hours ago I had my last meal, the time of the day as I am more resistant in the morning and if I have done any exercise.

Oh and then don't forget stress, colds, hormones and extreme temperatures!

So basically how I try to sort it out, in the morning I take a roughly 1.5:1 ratio and in the afternoon I take a 1:1 unless im have a really high starchy carb dinner like a chipper in which case I go back to 1.5:1

I also take more background insulin between 4.30am and 10am when Im at my most resistant to insulin.

As far as the timing of Nova rapid it used to be in and out of me in 2 hours flat. I have a very fast metabolism and when ever I have had 24hour blood glucose monitors in you can literally see how quickly it gets to work on me.

Oh and I would agree about the different sights having different affects I definitely used to notice an even faster absorption if I used a brand new sight like the back of my hip!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have certainly had weird results from the fast acting before that I couldn't put a reason to. I've never paid much attention to what site I had used each time though, so for me it could well be down to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fredo

Hello,
    I'm a T2 and I am on Lantus (18u) and Apidra (3x10u). The nurse told me that the BS would drop within 15/20 minutes but I have to wait 2/3 hours before I see the BS dropping in the morning, in the evening I don't see any drop in the BS at all, despite 10 u of Apidra and 18 u of lantus. I don't eat carbs in the morning and the evening just a small amount at lunch time and when I go cycling more than 30kms. I eat veg for brekfast and for dinner. I dropped 3.5 kg in the last 2 months and I don't any results in my fasting blood sugars (9 to 12) . My HBA1C is 8.1. I conclude than I must be very insuline resistant and I'm reluctant to use more insuline I don't want to put on weight. The snow has made the excercice quite impossible.
    Is there any excercice, tips, tricks to increase/recover insuline sensitivity?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fredo wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm a T2 and I am on Lantus (18u) and Apidra (3x10u). The nurse told me that the BS would drop within 15/20 minutes but I have to wait 2/3 hours before I see the BS dropping in the morning, in the evening I don't see any drop in the BS at all, despite 10 u of Apidra and 18 u of lantus. I don't eat carbs in the morning and the evening just a small amount at lunch time and when I go cycling more than 30kms. I eat veg for brekfast and for dinner. I dropped 3.5 kg in the last 2 months and I don't any results in my fasting blood sugars (9 to 12) . My HBA1C is 8.1. I conclude than I must be very insuline resistant and I'm reluctant to use more insuline I don't want to put on weight. The snow has made the excercice quite impossible.
    Is there any excercice, tips, tricks to increase/recover insuline sensitivity?

hey Fredo, are you checking for ketones, as the low carb diet and the drop in weight may be a sign of ketoacidosis. Not sure how it affects type 2 diabetics but it might be worth investigating as the consequences due to continued ketoacidosis are very serious.

It would make sense with your exercise as the body is trying to provide energy that you aren't through fat metabolism etc.

Personally, I would say it's your diet but a good idea might be to book an appointment with your dietician for a more through discussion.

Advertisement