Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Explosion on O'Connell Street?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

danniemcq wrote: »
    Thats gas
    that's gas :D

That's gas repeating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just for the record there are at least five o'connell streets in the country.

<leaves quietly>

Glad no one was hurt though.

What country?? Seriously are we supposed to guess?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Ignorance is never an excuse.

Only if one wished to perpetuate a semblance of blissfulness, or at least procure an image thereof, would they deliberately reside in a realm of ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

danniemcq wrote: »
    Thats gas
    that's gas
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    That's gas repeating.

OR

Great minds think alike...

...but fools seldom differ.

wait...

dammit

Only if one wished to perpetuate a semblance of blissfulness, or at least procure an image thereof, would they deliberately reside in a realm of ignorance.

World news shocker: People are ignorant.

*shakes hand* Hi! How are ya? Welcome to the Human Race!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Never liked Kylemore anyway

dyl10 wrote: »

After electric picnic their fry and a HUGE hot chocolate cannot be beat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

World news shocker: People are ignorant.

*shakes hand* Hi! How are ya? Welcome to the Human Race!
    :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 bandia

bonerm wrote: »
    Nope, looks fine to me.

(how did they clear all the snow?)

the heat melted it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Explosion on O' Connell Street?

Sinn Féin have arrived in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

02/12/2010 - 13:12:06
    One of Dublin’s best known streets was shut today after a suspected gas explosion at a cafe.

O‘Connell Street was closed to traffic and pedestrians at lunchtime after the incident at the Kylemore at about 12.45pm.

There were no reports of injuries so far, a Garda spokesman said.

Both the north and south bound sides of the street were initially shut but the northern side later reopened.

A Bord Gáis inspector was on the scene, a spokesman for the company said.

It is not clear whether the explosion, which occurred in the basement of the cafe, was caused by gas.

Aren't the toilets in the basement?

FlutterinBantam, where were you between the hours of 12 and 1pm today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

s_carnage wrote: »

Dublin, Texas, in the United States. Bloody obvious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin,_Texas

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So is this thread about Ennis now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Biggins wrote: »
    I respect this is AH but if there has been an explosion, I think we should leave all joking aside until we heard that no one is hurt!

And the insatiable appetite to say the right thing on the internet is won by....kaboom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Thats not live:rolleyes:

SRSLY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just for the record there are at least five o'connell streets in the country.

<leaves quietly>

Glad no one was hurt though.

Dubliner - "Yeah but theres only one that matters"

Ennis - "Yeah but theres only two that matter"

Next one - "Yeah but theres only three that matter"

etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

An incident in a restaurant on O'Connell Street in Dublin forced gardaí to close off a section of the city this afternoon.

None of the customers or staff inside Kylemore Café at the time were injured but the building had to be evacuated.

A perimeter was established around the area, blocking traffic for over an hour.

It was initially suspected that there had been an explosion in the café caused by a gas leak. However, Bord Gáis said its safety staff had inspected the premises and that this was not the case.

"It now appears that there was no explosion and the incident was in fact the collapse of a basement wall," Bord Gáis said in a statement.

Employees of a suit shop across the street said they heard a small bang from inside the café at 12.30pm after which roughly 50 people were forced to exit.

Gardaí and Fire Brigade services arrived on the scene within five minutes and cordoned off the area as a precaution for the safety of the public.

Ten members of the Garda, two fire trucks, a Bord Gáis van and another fire services car were visible outside the café as an inquiry got under way into the precise nature of the incident.

Just before 2pm, gardaí reduced the restricted perimeter around the area and allowed traffic to resume normal flow on both O'Connell Street and North Earl Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

dyl10 wrote: »

Me neither, but my bomb was actually meant for a different over-priced, pretentious twat hangout.
    Stupid cheap couriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I can confirm there is no Kylemore Cafe on O'Connell Street or for that matter any other street in Ennis :D

You could have been saying that about O'Connell Street dubin if that expolsion had been bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

There no explosion? Brilliant. A basement wall collapsing? No so good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Thank god it wasn't Pana anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Very necessary. Not everyone in Ireland knows Dublin. Nor should they be compelled to, called names or belittled for not knowing Dublin.

Everybody in the country should actually, at least, know the name of the main street of the capital city. If I'm not mistaken, most primary school history books make reference to it as the location of the Easter rising, GPO etc....

PS:I know it was called Sackville Street at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

s_carnage wrote: »

Since it's "boards.ie", that would be a fair assumption; making the assumption that O'Connell St = the Dublin one is not; people from different parts of this country could legitimately read it and not know whether it meant Ennis, Limerick, Sligo, Waterford or Dublin.

It's all about registering where the article is and who it's aimed at; if it was a local Dublin newspaper or news site, then "O'Connell St" would be obvious enough to everyone reading, for example if the Limerick Leader didn't specify a specific O'Connell St it would be safe to assume that it meant Limerick.

So saying "O'Connell St" on an Irish discussion board is ambiguous.

It's not about "not knowing" the capital city (again, since this is an Irish website, that automatically means Ireland, and not Washington or Paris) it's about someone not making it clear as to which of the 5 is being talked about; although to be fair to the OP they did edit it to correct that fault with the post.

jahalpin wrote: »
    Everybody in the country should actually, at least, know the name of the main street of the capital city.

Like I said before, I heard:

*leather glove slap* LEARN ZE NAME OF ZE MAIN STREET OF ZE FAZZA CITY! ICH BEEN EIN MASTAH! YOU ZALL SUBMIT TO ITS URBAN SUPERIORITY OR BE SENT TO ZE GULAGS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol 6 pages of this ****e! nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

*leather glove slap* LEARN ZE NAME OF ZE MAIN STREET OF ZE FAZZA CITY! ICH BEEN EIN MASTAH! YOU ZALL SUBMIT TO ITS URBAN SUPERIORITY OR BE SENT TO ZE GULAGS!

Eh.... Gulags were russian... o.O

Jeez this debate keeps Dublin in size...

so so sorry

• Advertisement

Slugs wrote: »
    Eh.... Gulags were russian... o.O

*shrug* the city cherry-picks the best authoritarian practices from around the world. It is an equal oppertunities oppressor. :)

Now shut up or it's the firing squad for you.

kidding of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

oh my god there was an explosion on O'Connell street? :eek:

how did i not hear about that??? :confused:

oh yeah i'm in cork it doesn't effect me and nobody was hurt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It was a basement wall that collapsed, not an explosion at all.
    Now it's not national news any more.
    I'm sure there a thread in Dublin regional forum too, continue there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement