Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone identify this insect?

Options
  • 02-12-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've searched the net for an answer to this to no conclusion.

Would anyone know what insect I keep finding in my bathroom? It's a small (1cm max) brown/grey little slivery thing that looks like a tiny eel. (it has a tapered tail end) No head features visible or antennae.
    I only ever see it at night, crawling on the tiles, it actually looks like it's swimming cause you cant see any legs. they're quite fast for the size of them. and then they disappear under the skirting board.

anyone know???
    Thanks xx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I'd say Silverfish. They do have antennae but perhaps are hard to see and or be laid back along body.

Yeah I'd also say silverfish. I spot some now and again in my bathroom cupboard, or along the skirting board. I'd kill on sight if I were you, I was always told by my father that they nibble on stuff like fabric, paper and other not-a-big-deal things, but long term can cause real damage if not checked. Don't worry about it or anything, just don't let them squirm away when you do catch one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ruana

I agree, silverfish. Does it look like this?

images%3Fq%3Dsilverfish%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D553%26tbs%3Disch:10%2C396&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=932&vpy=181&dur=107&hovh=184&hovw=273&tx=162&ty=88&ei=oQj4TIeWFYyr8QPwmYz5Cg&oei=Ogj4TIDtEdOahQf-25TGDw&esq=10&page=2&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:12&biw=1366&bih=553

EDIT: Ok I can't see the pic I added but the website is http://www.extension.umn.edu/gardeninfo/insectgallery/indoor/beetles/medium/silverfish.html

EDIT 2: The pic makes it look huge (magnification?!?) but the ones I've seen sound suspiciously like the ones you have seen!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

they're quite the fan of books, the bane of any library

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Looks like silverfish - i think they like damp conditions

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I waged a war against these things in my last apartment. Never really finished them off though. They could even work their way up onto table tops if there were crumbs up there.
    I found if you left the light off for about 5 minutes they'd come back out and you could squash a few of them. Then rinse and repeat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I like silverfish.

Used to see them late at night in the downstairs toilet in the parents house.

In the grand scheme of things they generally don't carry disease and tend to keep to themselves so to me they are like black beetles live and let live. Cockroaches on the other hand get me buying chemicals that I would rather not buy.

Having said that I am rather fond of my books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

In the grand scheme of things they generally don't carry disease and tend to keep to themselves so to me they are like black beetles live and let live. Cockroaches on the other hand get me buying chemicals that I would rather not buy.
    Well silverfish are no different from cockroaches in that they only carry crappy diseases that you have lying around your house anyway in the bin and in that pizza box under your couch...
    Not that I've ever seen a cockroach "in the wild" here in Ireland. Lucky us...

Advertisement