Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in the WEST?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Athlone want snow too, we have bout 12cm since tue but want more please snow:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭mista_2k10

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop
    Does this mean it could snow in Mayo????:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Can someone from the south east join this thread if they are sick of reading about the different intensities of snow in the different postcodes of dublin . . .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Weather warning for NI of heavy snow on Friday, issued by the met office, heres hoping it might overlap into Sligo. If you are out, drive carefully.
    Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow Fri 3 Dec
    A band of sleet and snow will cross from the northwest during the day, with snow accumulations of 3 to 6 cm in places. Widespread icy stretches are likely to form on untreated surfaces afterwards into the evening period under clearing skies.
    Issued at: 1240 Thu 2 Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Isnt it strange for Ireland to have such totally different weather on each sides of the country. I am in Galway and today was an absolutely beautiful day today; I turn on the news and its all snow, snow, snow. almost like a different country. Feels weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

hello all the "westies" great to see us have our own thread ! some good looking clouds approching from the west before dark so its our turn to get out our tape measures :D, -3.1 only here , my sister at 82 m asl has been recording way lower temps than up here , suppose cold air flows down the mountain into the valley! got about 1 1/2 ins snow here , nothing since last sat night, roads have been pretty bad up here all week . am on carran hill btw.

have got supplies in and am expecting the worst/best depending on your point of view! enjoy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Isnt it strange for Ireland to have such totally different weather on each sides of the country. I am in Galway and today was an absolutely beautiful day today; I turn on the news and its all snow, snow, snow. almost like a different country. Feels weird!

Feel left out more like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

yes thats because it was in Dublin, If it snowed in the west like it was in Dublin, it wouldnt get a mention on the news.

Strange that front is now in NW mayo and no percip is registering on the radar.

A positive is the M4 bouy, still a dew point of -2c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I turn on the news and its all snow, snow, snow. almost like a different country. Feels weird!

I turned on TG4 weather just there and it looks like a band of sleet will cross the coast nw of Galway heading quickly across the city around 7am, if that falls on what will be frozen ground by then the roads could be like an ICE RINK tomorrow along with the footpaths.

But Mairéad promised the Midlands and Leinster that it will fall as snow. Frankly I prefer snow to a bloody Ice storm. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You can view the latest HIRLAM preciptation rain/snow run yourself:

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,418

The dark blue represents snow! Only a model though so guess we will just have to wait and see.

based on that model it doesn't look great for any precipitation to be in the form of snow over the weekend after the front passes. also it would seem the front decays overland according to bbc graphics. still beggars can't be choosers, as they say. some snow is better than none!

in any case it not long now till the great blizzard of winter 2010, which will deposit 2-3 foot of snow in the west, southwest and northwest, and lead to six feet drifts in places.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ah jaysus now lads.. howz it going now? Have we all got the wellies on the ready? been snooping round charts and sites .. you know.. clutching at straws. I am 1 mile from the coast here and at 124ft asl and from what i can figure I am going to get rain.

Should kick in between 2 and 3 am, So I guess I will be waking up to a green skating rink in the morning. Would love it to be the white stuff but just cant see it this near the coast.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus now lads.. howz it going now? Have we all got the wellies on the ready? been snooping round charts and sites .. you know.. clutching at straws. I am 1 mile from the coast here and at 124ft asl and from what i can figure I am going to get rain.

Should kick in between 2 and 3 am, So I guess I will be waking up to a green skating rink in the morning. Would love it to be the white stuff but just cant see it this near the coast.:(

How do find out how far asl you are ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

yes thats because it was in Dublin, If it snowed in the west like it was in Dublin, it wouldnt get a mention on the news.

It would be mentioned, only not as quickly or in as much detail. With the flooding last year, it took them a little while to start reporting properly on it. But hey, theres more people in Dublin so what happens there is generally of more interest to more people...

well, if Pat Clarke's five to six radio forecast is to be believed you're in with a good shout of seeing snow, at least during the nightime, over the weekend. I suspect most showers will be more of a wintry mix during the day on lower ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,932 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What are the roads like between Oranmore and Tuam?

Much snow there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

jessie37 wrote: »

http://www.earthtools.org/

http://www.earthtools.org/

Thanks so much...just found out I'm 367.5ft above sea level...can someone explain what effect this has on whether I get snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

mars bar wrote: »
    What are the roads like between Oranmore and Tuam?

Much snow there?

Main road N17 is fine. No snow on the main roads. Not too sure what its like between Claregalway and Oranmore but I'm sure it has been gritted. The by-roads are very very dicey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It would be mentioned, only not as quickly or in as much detail. With the flooding last year, it took them a little while to start reporting properly on it. But hey, theres more people in Dublin so what happens there is generally of more interest to more people...

There's actually more people outside Dublin than in it.

The media is very Dublincentric.

Anyone remember last year? It was snowing for nearly a week in the West & it barely got a mention on the national news... then one day of snow in Dublin and the headlines were "Country Comes To A Standstill".

Meanwhile, they were still bouncing planes off the runway in Knock.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Metres
    111m
    Feet
    364.2ft
    There's actually more people outside Dublin than in it.

The media is very Dublincentric.

Anyone remember last year? It was snowing for nearly a week in the West & it barely got a mention on the national news... then one day of snow in Dublin and the headlines were "Country Comes To A Standstill".

Meanwhile, they were still bouncing planes off the runway in Knock.

:D

yep

missed my dads 90 th birthday cos the flights kept getting cancelled out of knock and belfast

Thanks so much...just found out I'm 367.5ft above sea level...can someone explain what effect this has on whether I get snow ?

The higher the colder the air so the better chance of snow (basic answer ). Will also depend of what direction you are facing if on a slope or hillside. Obviously a west facing slope would be good tonight. East facing would be in what's known as 'the rain shadow'.

Cheers thanks

Metres
    111m
    Feet
    364.2ft

Jaysus Ed you must be up behind me in the hills. I'm in lowly drumrooske middle.

Basically higher elevations = cooler temperatures

Jaysus Ed you must be up behind me in the hills. I'm in lowly drumrooske middle.

Surely you can't be serious, irish1967.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Tells me i'm at 45m asl, but sdoesn't seem to be all that accurate as it says the river near me is at 18m asl, but 7 miles downstream its at 30m asl . . .when actually its at 0 or close as its tidal there.

Ah jaysus now lads.. howz it going now? Have we all got the wellies on the ready? been snooping round charts and sites .. you :(

LOVE your country accent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The tinyest of tinyest of flakes are falling in Sligo Town and settling, its starting people
    Surely you can't be serious, irish1967.

He is, and dont call him Shirley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Any chance of getting snow in Claregalway? Approx. 20m asl.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement