Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile driving me mad

Options
  • 02-12-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭

Discovering that I couldn't send picture messages on this network, I went through the motions of getting the settings sent to my Razr V3 phone from here:

http://tmi.phonesettings.com/tmi/ota

This didn't work, and left me with an "invalid setup" error on the picture message. After contacting Tesco, they sent me details of the settings to be input manually:
    1. Go to Start > Settings > Connections and then click on the 'Connections' icon
    2. Click the 'Advanced' tab at the bottom of the screen and then the 'Select Networks' button.
    3. Click the 'New' button immediately below 'My ISP' (don't try to edit an existing entry)
    4. Enter 'TMI GPRS' as the name for the settings and then click on the 'Modem' tab.
    5. Tap the 'New' button and enter 'TMI GPRS' as the name for the connection and 'Cellular Line (GPRS)' as the modem.
    6. Tap on the 'Next' button and set up the access point name as 'tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com'.
    7. Tap on the 'Next' button, leave the username, password and domain fields blank and click the 'Advanced' tab.
    8. Ensure both the 'TCP/IP' and 'Servers' tabs are set to 'Use server assigned IP address' and then click on 'Ok'
    9. Tap the 'Finish' button and a TMI GPRS connection should be visible.
    10. Click the 'Proxy Settings' tab and ensure the 'This network connects to the internet' and 'This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet' boxes are both ticked.
    11. Click the 'Advanced' button and in the WAP field enter the Server address as: 10.1.11.19 and the Port as: 8080.
    12. Tap 'Ok' then 'Ok' again and the TMI GPRS connection should be shown in the field at the top of the screen.
    13. Tap 'Ok' once more then select the 'Tasks' tab at the bottom of the screen. The TMI GPRS connection should be shown.
    14. Tap on 'Ok' and your GPRS connection is now set up.

The terminology in these instructions bears no relation to the "Web Sessions" on my phone, because my incomplete "template" is like this:

Name:
    TMI MMS

Homepage:BLANK

Service Type 1:HTTP (Choices: WAP, WAP Connectionless, WAP Secure, WAP Secure Connectionless, HTTP, HTTP Secure.)
    Proxy 1: 10.1.11.19
    Port 1: 8080
    Domain 1:BLANK
    Service Type2: BLANK (Choices: WAP, WAP Connectionless, WAP Secure, WAP Secure Connectionless, HTTP, HTTP Secure.)
    Proxy 2: BLANK
    Port 2:0
    Domain 2:BLANK
    DNS 1:000.000.000.000
    DNS 2:000.000.000.000
    Timeout:15 minutes
    CSD No 1:BLANK
    User Name 1:BLANK
    Password 1:BLANK
    Speed (Bps) 1: BLANK (Choices 2400, 4800, 9600, 14400)
    Line Type 1: BLANK (Choices: Modem or ISDN)
    CSD No 2:BLANK
    User Name 2:BLANK
    Password 2:BLANK
    Speed (Bps) 2:BLANK (Choices 2400, 4800, 9600, 14400)
    Line Type 2: BLANK (Choices: Modem or ISDN)
    GPRS APN tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    User Name:BLANK
    Password:BLANK

After Googling around, it seemed plain to me that something was missing from these settings, so I asked Tesco to let me have FULL details, and also hints as to how to translate the Tesco terminology into the Motorola template.

Tesco then came up with this, but gave me no translation as to how it fits into the Motorola list above:
    Our current Tesco mobile settings are,
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMSCL [URL="wlmailhtml:{2FB8E17F-97FE-4E6C-8257-4B35EFDD40C8}mid://00000256/!x-usc:http://mmc1/servlets/mms"]http://mmc1/servlets/mms[/URL]
    MMC2: 272
    MC1: 11
    WAP Homepage: [URL="wlmailhtml:{2FB8E17F-97FE-4E6C-8257-4B35EFDD40C8}mid://00000256/!x-usc:http://www.tescomobile.ie/wap"]http://www.tescomobile.ie/wap [/URL]
    These settings can be entered manually in conjunction with your mobile user guide.

My "mobile user guide" tells me diddly squat about this setup.

I could have printed out the picture, crawled backwards on my hands and knees to Dublin with it in my teeth, and be back home again by now.

My phone was originally on O2, and I imagine that an original Tesco one wouldn't have this problem. Has anyone got any ideas?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

The only data settings required for Tesco Mobile are below

Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11

For MMS the server location with the same apn and proxy details is all thats required
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms

All data is through HTTP so if asked choose that.

We will be releasing a new OTA settings app on the website in the next week which will have the RAZR3 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

For MMS the server location with the same apn and proxy details is all thats required

We will be releasing a new OTA settings app on the website in the next week which will have the RAZR3 on it.

Thanks for the reply.

My phone is a Razr V3ROHS, whereas the RAZR3 is a much newer model.

I'm assuming that the MMSC is the homepage, but how do the rest of the settings fit into this bit quoted below, and what else is missing?:confused: Even with the homepage entered, the picture messaging doesn't work, and I still get "incomplete setup".

Surely if someone at Tesco Mobile has a working Motorola Web Session for messaging, they can make the details available, as I'm fairly certain that I can't be the only one messing around with this? :(
    Name: TMI MMS

Homepage:BLANK http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    Service Type 1:HTTP (Choices: WAP, WAP Connectionless, WAP Secure, WAP Secure Connectionless, HTTP, HTTP Secure.)
    Proxy 1: 10.1.11.19
    Port 1: 8080
    Domain 1:BLANK
    Service Type2: BLANK (Choices: WAP, WAP Connectionless, WAP Secure, WAP Secure Connectionless, HTTP, HTTP Secure.)
    Proxy 2: BLANK
    Port 2:0
    Domain 2:BLANK
    DNS 1:000.000.000.000
    DNS 2:000.000.000.000
    Timeout:15 minutes
    CSD No 1:BLANK
    User Name 1:BLANK
    Password 1:BLANK
    Speed (Bps) 1: BLANK (Choices 2400, 4800, 9600, 14400)
    Line Type 1: BLANK (Choices: Modem or ISDN)
    CSD No 2:BLANK
    User Name 2:BLANK
    Password 2:BLANK
    Speed (Bps) 2:BLANK (Choices 2400, 4800, 9600, 14400)
    Line Type 2: BLANK (Choices: Modem or ISDN)
    GPRS APN tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    User Name:BLANK
    Password:BLANK

With the Motorolas you need two profiles. One is the Web Session as you mentioned. Been about 5 years since I worked on a Moto so can't really remember the procedure but the second one is in Messages, there's a place there where you set the MMSC and the Web Session used to connect to it.

EDIT: Dug out my old V535 to give you a hand. :) It's under Message Setup > MMS Message Setup > Server Info.

Karsini wrote: »
    With the Motorolas you need two profiles. One is the Web Session as you mentioned. Been about 5 years since I worked on a Moto so can't really remember the procedure but the second one is in Messages, there's a place there where you set the MMSC and the Web Session used to connect to it.

EDIT: Dug out my old V535 to give you a hand. :) It's under Message Setup > MMS Message Setup > Server Info.

I'd already poked around in the message setup, and discovered that the Web Session had set this up ok, but thanks for your efforts.:)

I still think that there's something missing from the Tesco Web Session settings, and it's hard to communicate this with the Tesco Mobile email help people, who now appear to have given up.:(

I'll have to carry on experimenting, and if I don't succeed, I'll be dropping Tesco Mobile like a hot brick.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'd already poked around in the message setup, and discovered that the Web Session had set this up ok, but thanks for your efforts.:)

I still think that there's something missing from the Tesco Web Session settings, and it's hard to communicate this with the Tesco Mobile email help people, who now appear to have given up.:(

I'll have to carry on experimenting, and if I don't succeed, I'll be dropping Tesco Mobile like a hot brick.

I will have access to our new OTA service today or tomorrow and should be able to help you out. Will get back to you.

• Advertisement

I will have access to our new OTA service today or tomorrow and should be able to help you out. Will get back to you.

I understand that there are sometimes problems with unlocked phones that were once with another network, in my case O2. If this is the case, have you any idea what the technical problem is?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I understand that there are sometimes problems with unlocked phones that were once with another network, in my case O2. If this is the case, have you any idea what the technical problem is?

Problem might be settings lingering over from the previous network settings. Sometimes variants of software for particular networks also have differences built in but in the case of MMS/Data it would be unlikely that anthing would ahve an effect.

Make sure that all other web session info is wiped except the tesco mobile settings.

Problem might be settings lingering over from the previous network settings. Sometimes variants of software for particular networks also have differences built in but in the case of MMS/Data it would be unlikely that anthing would ahve an effect.

Make sure that all other web session info is wiped except the tesco mobile settings.

I deleted all of the O2 Web Sessions a few days ago.

I've no problem accessing the internet on the phone after getting those OTA settings, so something went right.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jcn50

Hey, I cannot receive any "email to MMS" message anymore, since 2 weeks!
    When I send an email to 35389XXXXXXX@mms.quartet.liffeytelecom.com (XXXXXXX) being my phone number, I get NOTHING! TescoMobile Customer Service takes a while pushing info to their technical staffs.... It's depressing!

jcn50 wrote: »
    Hey, I cannot receive any "email to MMS" message anymore, since 2 weeks!
    When I send an email to 35389XXXXXXX@mms.quartet.liffeytelecom.com (XXXXXXX) being my phone number, I get NOTHING! TescoMobile Customer Service takes a while pushing info to their technical staffs.... It's depressing!

Hi jcn50,

please PM me your details and I will follow up for you today.

regards
    Paul

• Advertisement

PM sent! Thank you Paul...

After some hours, Paul (tescomobile) fixed the problem! It's great that qualified persons are easily reachable!!
    Keep up the good work~ & Merry Xmas//

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thisnthat2

please please someone help me..... i have all the settings for it but when entering them i do not have the option to entre some settings like homepage and MMC2: 272 MC1: 11 ---- by the way what are these?????
    i am using a HTC HD T8282

thisnthat2 wrote: »
    please please someone help me..... i have all the settings for it but when entering them i do not have the option to entre some settings like homepage and MMC2: 272 MC1: 11 ---- by the way what are these?????
    i am using a HTC HD T8282

Our new OTA phone settings tool will do this automatically for you. Just enter your details and follow the instructions

Choose HTC Touch HD from the device menu.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

Hope this helps

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thisnthat2

thank you paul but this site will not work for the wap settings as when i press submit the web site comes back saying Error setting up settings!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

wondering if i have a pre-pay tesco mobile phone - is it locked? or can i put my o2 work sim card in it and it would work?:confused:

petronius wrote: »
    wondering if i have a pre-pay tesco mobile phone - is it locked? or can i put my o2 work sim card in it and it would work?:confused:

Yes, Tesco Mobile phones are locked to the Tesco Mobile network in the same way as O2/Vodafone/Meteor/3 phones are locked to their network. To get unlocked please contact customer care. If you have spent 150eur on topup with TMI the care agent will provide you with the unlock details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Hi Paul,

switched over to tesco mobile yesterday with my unlocked HTC wildfire.
    Can I use these settings above to set up my internet & MMS ?

Thx.

alibabba wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

switched over to tesco mobile yesterday with my unlocked HTC wildfire.
    Can I use these settings above to set up my internet & MMS ?

Thx.

Hi there

For internet you just need the APN

Type; Default,supl

For MMS you need
    MMSC: http://10.1.11.68/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Proxy Port: 8080