Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Folks doing the shopping down south this time of year!

• 02-12-2010 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Personally from myself if you do shop down in the republic this Christmas, your keeping myself and alot of people in a job.

As for anyone thinking of going up North, please spare a though for a local business and the folks on the ground trying to get a bit of pay.

So Thanks ! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

there'll be nobody goin up the north, the euro is worth fuk all now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Shop local :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Adam wrote: »

There are still a hell of alot of people who think that it's still worth as much as gold up there.

msg11 wrote: »
    There are still a hell of alot of people who think that it's still worth as much as gold up there.
    their loss so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Euro exchange rate good:
    I'll be damned if I'll shop in the south, much better deals up North, Rip Off Republic

Euro exchange rate bad:
    I'm going to shop down south to keep jobs down here.

I did a few beer runs up North last year but with the deals the supermarkets are doing down here it's not worth my while travelling for 4 hours to buy booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

TheZohan wrote: »
    Euro exchange rate good:

Euro exchange rate bad:

I did a few beer runs up North last year but with the deals the supermarkets are doing down here it's not worth my while travelling for 4 hours to buy booze.

4 hours from new york to northern ireland for a few cans..............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Internet shopping FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I think I'll just shop south-east this year and buy all my stuff online. Enjoy the trampling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

mfceiling wrote: »
    4 hours from new york to northern ireland for a few cans..............

A typing ceiling....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

As for anyone thinking of going up North, please spare a though for a local business and the folks on the ground trying to get a bit of pay.

How about sparing a thought for local shoppers with your pricing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Adam wrote: »
    :confused:

1.00 EUR=0.844252 GBP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I was up in Belfast last weekend and besides drink and electronics, the price difference isn't that great tbh. Once you factor in the travel and hotel, you're actually better off staying down south and/or shopping online.

did mine online tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

if you shop around you can save money north and south of the border.

Dont do all your shopping in the one place and pay attention to all the newspaper adds.
    Plenty of places to save if you play it smart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I;ll be buying my stuff down south. most places have good deals going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

We're down to one wage here so have to save the pennies where possible.

Went to Asda in Belfast last week for groceries. Spent 250 quid and 20 euro in diesel. Saved myself a fortune.

Santa's pressies will be sourced from Amazon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 imwatchingyou

i would understand why people went north last year to do their shopping,because there was a big difference in prices,but why do it this year,there is alot of good deals here,and they could be spending more money in the north.
    people should shop here now,there is alot of good deals around + it helps our economy in these bad times,so please people do the right thing and do your shoping in the republic this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I was in enniskillen(fermanagh) at the weekend and there were more southern reg cars than I could count so people are still spending up there.

I got loads of shopping and spent half what I would spend in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Going up last year made sense because prices down here were ridiculous, but the price drops and special offers (and the snow) has made the North really not worth the hassle. Unless you're going to get a telly or something maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm looking forward to shopping wherever I don't get ripped off. Or at least the place that least rips me off. If that means crossing a border, so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

After the budget, there won't be any shopping, North or South. We'll be scrooged sideways and inside-out.:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

i would understand why people went north last year to do their shopping,because there was a big difference in prices,but why do it this year,there is alot of good deals here,and they could be spending more money in the north.
    people should shop here now,there is alot of good deals around + it helps our economy in these bad times,so please people do the right thing and do your shoping in the republic this year.
    I don't mind paying a little extra down here, apart from heavy stuff almost everything down here costs a lot more, especially noticeable for store that operate on both sides of the boarder.

some prices here are just extortionate, best price for CFL's here is €1 each, in the UK it's 10p each

I bought some pipe insulation recently, builders providers were less than half the price of the DIY stores (no suprise there) but unless you are prepared to spend a fiver a meter almost all the insulation here is thinner than the BS regs require it to be. So it's not just price we are getting ripped off on.

I'm sorry I didn't stockup more on food & drink because I know the prices will creep up this month. Yes there are bargins down here but you really have to look, certainly check all of the local supermarkets before heading north.

OisinT wrote: »
    :confused:

1.00 EUR=0.844252 GBP
    OisinT wrote: »
    I was up in Belfast last weekend and besides drink and electronics, the price difference isn't that great tbh. Once you factor in the travel and hotel, you're actually better off staying down south and/or shopping online.

yes, you point out the exchange in reference to my point and then go on to say it's not worth it...:confused:

i know it's not the worst exchange in the world, but compared to a year ago even it's a lot worse, i'd regularly travel to enniskillen and even get pound for euro in many stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I couldn't give a sh1te about shops down here if they're gonna charge twice the price for stuff

Internet shopping is way ahead of both options anyway and half the stress so I'll be doing that again this year. All booze will be got across the border cos it's still way cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

stovelid wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to shopping wherever I don't get ripped off. Or at least the place that least rips me off. If that means crossing a border, so be it.

Amen to that! There's still a lot of sleeveens around shafting the public with pricing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Not worth my while travelling to the North as I live in the South-East.

I got some toys for my nieces in Tesco - Barbie Dolls and stuff they were reasonably priced.

We are one-waged too so must watch the wallet. A lot of us used to spend too much money on Christmas during the boom, people are cutting back now and its no harm - except to the retailers.

One shop close to where I live (garden centre/lifestyle/posh-shop) jacked up their prices two weeks ago, then reduced them with a "25% off Sale" :mad: people arent stupid - consumers ACTUALLY NOTICE THIS SORT OF THING!!! Retailers need to wake up. Aldi, Lidl, Heatons and Penneys do Christmas stuff for very little money - they will make a profit this year - the Rip-off merchants won't - simple as that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well it was just a thanks if you shop down here.

But be careful of price shifting and do shop around. If something is over 50€ or even 30€ do spend time researching if you can get it somewhere else for a different price. Most retailers have prices online so do look around or ring it's usually just a quick search on a computer to shop to check up the price. Write down the name of the shop and price. Do that over and over you will save alot. Remember the golden rule really is don't spend all your money in the one shop.

Also, remember around this time of month would be good time to buy things on offer with long dates, as it more than likly the offer won't be on offer come next week and you will end up paying full wack.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Also, remember around this time of month would be good time to buy things on offer with long dates, as it more than likly the offer won't be on offer come next week and you will end up paying full wack.
    qft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Personally from myself if you do shop down in the republic this Christmas, your keeping myself and alot of people in a job.

So Thanks ! :)

For a lot of people living in the south, the north is local.

Many southerners work in the north & vice versa.

Many northeners spend money here too.

And for many people, it's basically the same country divided by an imaginary border & only differentiated by a currency.

Just saying, is all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement