Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People are driving too SLOW slopes/hills/on ramps/off ramps, etc...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

i dont drive slow i drive carfully if i see a bad patch i take it handy but not to bad! but this morning really annoyed me! coming down a side road and it was so bad behind me not leaving 10cm of space was a B**ch in her 4X4 right behind me my car was sliding bad enough and she just wouldnt give up i was tryin to pull in so she could go ahead but if i had stoped she would of gone into me and looking at all the other people on the road had 2/3 car distance ????? i should of just stoped but i didnt want to cause an unnecessary accendent! i put on my hazzards any thing to get her to back off i turned a corner in the end! but how do you stop these people from driving so close she had a car full of kids and just was being so stupid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

paddyland wrote: »
    Only bad drivers have to stop in emergency. Good drivers read the road well ahead, and I mean WELL ahead, and have their options covered. If you regularly have to make emergency stops, it draws a question over your road observation.
    The picture I'm getting from you is getting worse... So if a child ran out in front of you, you wouldn't have to stop cause you're a good driver? Just plough through the child, ya? I see.
    I never have had to stop in an emergency yet, but that doesn't make me complacent to the point where I think that I'll never have to. I read the road well ahead also, and anything to each side. But the phrase "expect the unexpected" is what I go by. You can't expect that just because you've read the road ahead of you that it can't change in the mean time.
    Having a days work to do won't make me drive any quicker if conditions dictate its unsafe to do so.
    Also, usually the people who tell me they're a good driver are the ones I'm instantly more cautious of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Only bad drivers have to stop in emergency. Good drivers read the road well ahead, and I mean WELL ahead, and have their options covered. If you regularly have to make emergency stops, it draws a question over your road observation.
    :confused:

Idiotic logic. There are many things which can happen that you have no control over and you have no way of knowing will happen beforehand. Things like a child running out on the road, or an animal, another driver losing control and veering across your path etc.

Overconfident drivers on the road can be just as dangerous as those who lack it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Crackle wrote: »
    Overconfident drivers on the road can be just as dangerous as those who lack it.
    QFT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,966 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    The picture I'm getting from you is getting worse... So if a child ran out in front of you,....
    ...and the picture I'm getting from you is worst of all.

If "a child ran out"... You are driving on a road. There is clear visibility. Where did the child spring from? Behind a car you say? Then there wasn't clear visibility. :rolleyes:

Zulu wrote: »
    ...and the picture I'm getting from you is worst of all.

If "a child ran out"... You are driving on a road. There is clear visibility. Where did the child spring from? Behind a car you say? Then there wasn't clear visibility. :rolleyes:
    Sigh... no wonder good posters like E92 left this place. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

The picture I'm getting from you is getting worse... So if a child ran out in front of you, you wouldn't have to stop cause you're a good driver? Just plough through the child, ya? I see.
    I never have had to stop in an emergency yet, but that doesn't make me complacent to the point where I think that I'll never have to. I read the road well ahead also, and anything to each side. But the phrase "expect the unexpected" is what I go by. You can't expect that just because you've read the road ahead of you that it can't change in the mean time.
    Having a days work to do won't make me drive any quicker if conditions dictate its unsafe to do so.
    Also, usually the people who tell me they're a good driver are the ones I'm instantly more cautious of.
    Any slow driver who not practically aware of the road hazardous or conditions cannot avoid a child running onto a road from behind any obstruction, and those who do brake on ice will sliding faster into the child. There is no good scenario's for ice/snow conditions for a child running infront of you. Unfortunately there never is.

Not everybody is like you reading the road ahead.
    You use the "expect the unexpected" but too many slow drivers do not "expect the unexpected" and are obvious of their poor driving skills, hitting pedestrians on both rural (around bends My cousin was hit last year she had her full reflective walking gear on during the twilight with her flash light on) and urban roads and on town/village and city streets and there are also slow drivers hitting pedestrians at pedestrians crossing, pulling in front of other drivers, ignore warning signs, failing to read and abide by road markings and signs and slowly drive over the continuous white lines, Failing to indicate, full headlights on in dense fog reflecting the bright lights back on themselves obscuring any oncoming vehicle lights or any obstacle in front of them, Failure to stop correctly at road markings at yield and stop signs, driving down wrong way streets/roads (I witness personally on Saturday evening at Crescent shopping centre, one very slow driver driving around the crescent shopping centre here in Limerick driving the wrong way oblivious to all the one way road signs and road markings. I check the road markings and they are there and not frosted over and clearly seen at 7pm in the evening, I know there was heavy fog but it was not that dense to obscure the signs and road markings and if it was that dense to obscure the signs when nobody could drive safely at 10kph as this driver did). I should get my camera out to film these people and put up on youtube to shame them. Also One very important thing when driving in the dark, Failure to put on their car lights. I see on average four very slow cars every evening during the winter without their dims on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So despite the fact that you had no grip to the point where your wheels were slipping while moving forward, you still deemed it safe to overtake other people? Yet it was the slow driver that was at fault here?
    Based on that information, I disagree with your assesment of the situation. What if you had to stop in an emergency?

That sounds a bit like a nerve was touched there, I take it you drive a Yaris at 10 kp/h?

Sigh... no wonder good posters like E92 left this place. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Six rolleyes! Six!! SIX!!!

Well, I never...

• Advertisement

limklad wrote: »
    Any slow driver who not practically aware of the road hazardous or conditions cannot avoid a child running onto a road from behind any obstruction, and those who do brake on ice will sliding faster into the child. There is no good scenario's for ice/snow conditions for a child running infront of you. Unfortunately there never is.

Not everybody is like you reading the road ahead.
    You use the "expect the unexpected" but too many slow drivers do not "expect the unexpected" and are obvious of their poor driving skills, hitting pedestrians on both rural (around bends My cousin was hit last year she had her full reflective walking gear on during the twilight with her flash light on) and urban roads and on town/village and city streets and there are also slow drivers hitting pedestrians at pedestrians crossing, pulling in front of other drivers, ignore warning signs, failing to read and abide by road markings and signs and slowly drive over the continuous white lines, Failing to indicate, full headlights on in dense fog reflecting the bright lights back on themselves obscuring any oncoming vehicle lights or any obstacle in front of them, Failure to stop correctly at road markings at yield and stop signs, driving down wrong way streets/roads (I witness personally on Saturday evening at Crescent shopping centre, one very slow driver driving around the crescent shopping centre here in Limerick driving the wrong way oblivious to all the one way road signs and road markings. I check the road markings and they are there and not frosted over and clearly seen at 7pm in the evening, I know there was heavy fog but it was not that dense to obscure the signs and road markings and if it was that dense to obscure the signs when nobody could drive safely at 10kph as this driver did). I should get my camera out to film these people and put up on youtube to shame them. Also One very important thing when driving in the dark, Failure to put on their car lights. I see on average four very slow cars every evening during the winter without their dims on.
    Actually I agree with pretty much everything here, but if you're in snow or ice and are travelling at around 20kph, if someone does run out in front of you then you'll do less damage than if travelling at 40kph. Granted, your neighbour half-clutching might have being taking the buscuit with incompetence, but usually if there's a slow idiot in front of me I often just resign to the fact that they're there, there's not much I can do, just hang back, give them space and accept that you're held up. If I get an opportunity, I'll overtake, but to be honest it would really want to be an exceptional situation for me to overtake with snow on the ground.
    Built up areas though, if it's really icy (and they usually are due to gritters not going into estates, I'm usually crawling at idle speed, as any pedestrian who might look safe could slip and fall in your direction, or kids playing in the ice might be around and are usually unpredictable.

That sounds a bit like a nerve was touched there, I take it you drive a Yaris at 10 kp/h?
    I love my Yaris. Some day I hope to exceed 10kph, but I don't have the bottle yet! Good old Yaris. Must go get my blue rinse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Actually I agree with pretty much everything here, but if you're in snow or ice and are travelling at around 20kph, if someone does run out in front of you then you'll do less damage than if travelling at 40kph. Granted, your neighbour half-clutching might have being taking the buscuit with incompetence, but usually if there's a slow idiot in front of me I often just resign to the fact that they're there, there's not much I can do, just hang back, give them space and accept that you're held up. If I get an opportunity, I'll overtake, but to be honest it would really want to be an exceptional situation for me to overtake with snow on the ground.
    Built up areas though, if it's really icy (and they usually are due to gritters not going into estates, I'm usually crawling at idle speed, as any pedestrian who might look safe could slip and fall in your direction, or kids playing in the ice might be around and are usually unpredictable.
    I drive in the same manner, and driven with many different vehicles in many weather conditions in several countries. Snow while it is inconvenience, it is not the major issue when overtaking as long you are not going too fast, it is ice, more precisely smooth black ice with the combination of the slow incompetence driver ego (Thinking they are better than you and try to accelerate to punish the overtaking driver which is illegal to accelerate when been overtaking and is classified as dangerous driving without taking due care for other road users).
    If they have no confident with reading the roads while driving, they should pull in and hang back behind someone else with the appropriate distance who is more confident rather than hogging the road, but with ego's been ego they will always want to be in front causing havoc foolishly believing they are right... They should be punished for poor driving skills and causing traffic chaos and force to repeat their driving Test. In many other countries they are punished by Law Enforcement. In this country the RSA and Garda are slow in punish these poor drivers. Right Now they are concreting in punishing fast crazy drivers when they should be punishing everybody poor driving skills across the spectrum.

The less vehicles in any road in dangerous weather the safer the road for other road users such as the gardai and emergencies services but when incompetence slow drivers hold others people up they create a dangerous situations for other road users and clog up traffic in roads and streets which lead to accidents forcing emergencies services to divide their services onto more roads when they are already stretch during bad weather with other emergency situations.

I am an advocate of everybody repeating their driving test at each renewal and have a grading driving licence for been able to handle different weather conditions. Have a dash mounted cameras like this one, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69092676&postcount=82 that record the driver actions to for x number of hours and x amount of road conditions required can be reviewed by the driving test instructor at the comfort of the driving centre.
    If you do not have bad weather or advance driving option in your licence for driving in storms and icy conditions etc, should not be driving and be punished for it for endangering others.

Actually I agree with pretty much everything here, but if you're in snow or ice and are travelling at around 20kph, if someone does run out in front of you then you'll do less damage than if travelling at 40kph.

Well, the argument here is that we all should be driving at 20 km/h at all times and not just in snow and ice.
    I once proposed in order to cut road deaths to zero, why not limit every single road-going vehicle to 30 km/h, but true, someone could stand out in front of you and decide to wait till you hit him (which will be some time).
    So why not reduce speed of all vehicles to 20 km/h!
    All problems solved, everyone happy, easy peasy, hey why didn't we do this 20 years ago!
    This is not only for mechanically propelled vehicles, bicycles can go faster, but this will be sorted too!
    In fact I will from now on be a tireless campaigner to have all vehicles fitted with a speed limiter, twice annual inspections, a E100000 fine and 5 years prison for tampering with the device, complete 24hr surveillance of ALL roads in the country by Gardai (all those lives saved will be worth the piffling few billions this will cost), speed cameras every 100 meters, twice weekly lectures on the evils of speed and, of course, a ban of all foreign vehicles coming into the country that contravene these rules.
    But why stop there?
    Alcohol and cigarettes banned, state prescribed health diet enforced, all non compliant fats banned, sugar and salt rationed to RDA per person, state enforced exercise regime, TV's will only be on half an hour a day (to broadcast state propaganda for healthy living) and one day the monitoring of thoughts will be possible, so deviants can be reprogrammed.
    Silly, I know. But just an extension of the "drive everywhere at very slow speed" argument.
    I don't want to die in a crash anymore than anyone else, but I also don't want to die of boredom, life is too short and if someone is doing 20 km/h in snow or ice in front of me, I'm going past, beep beep, get out of the way!

Silly, I know. But just an extension of the "drive everywhere at very slow speed" argument.
    Only on ice and in snow!

Only on ice and in snow!

Fair enough.
    But have to say, was driving into Limerick this morning and, granted it was cold, but the road was salted to death (salt only stops working at -20 or colder) and some people where driving at 40 km/h on the dual carriageway, whilst going 20 km/h in the city.
    If I see someone driving like that I will get past. It's not even about the time, cause you won't save any, but it's physically painful to watch this level of incompetence.
    I feel like stopping, getting out and running past them to demonstrate how slow they're going. While pelting them with snowballs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Depends on the context. If theres pedestrians around or their isn't. Sometimes you need some momentum to be able to steer properly on snow, and get you over speed ramps and the such. With experience though people will judge it better. People who don't try it won't learn.

Also, even if the road is clear no ice and snow. The temp might be low so that your tyres simply do not work at those temps and you will have no grip. That was something new for me. I've not driven in temps this low before.

Even wheres theres no snow or ice, winter tyres, and I assume some all season tyres will work at lower temps than summer tyres. Something I'd not considered before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I wonder if the seemingly well opinionated posters above have ever actually encountered black ice. You don't see it, don't know where it is and you are truly fecked if you take it at speed.

Back in January, not long after the great thaw of 2010, I hit black ice at around 60kph, the van swerved left, right and had I not regained grip I would have been head on into a ditch. Not a pleasant experience but sobering nonetheless.

Believe it or not, driving on snow is not anywhere near as bad. Perhaps a little bit of patience is required, we are not out of the woods yet with the weather, so chillax eh?

Indeed, I came across this "black ice" you talk of just last night. It has taught me many lessons.

As a result of what I've learned, I've decided to drive along straight, clear, open roads at 20Kmph regardless of the fact that I've perfect visibility & there are no hazards in front of, or to either side of me.
    I determine that at this speed, I'll cause minimum damage in the event that a sky-diver gets lost & lands in front of me, or in the event a hot-air balloon accidental crash lands in my path.

I've decided that, while traveling at this speed, might encourage other users into a more risky situation (namely overtaking me), the risk of me spinning out at 50Kmph on black ice on a straight open road, traveling in a straight line, is simply too great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Savman wrote: »
    I wonder if the seemingly well opinionated posters above have ever actually encountered black ice. You don't see it, don't know where it is and you are truly fecked if you take it at speed.

Back in January, not long after the great thaw of 2010, I hit black ice at around 60kph, the van swerved left, right and had I not regained grip I would have been head on into a ditch. Not a pleasant experience but sobering nonetheless.

Believe it or not, driving on snow is not anywhere near as bad. Perhaps a little bit of patience is required, we are not out of the woods yet with the weather, so chillax eh?

If you hadn't been drinking you wouldn't have been swerving all over the place int he first place :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Do you think that you would be able to detect black ice on the road ahead, WELL ahead?

• Advertisement
Advertisement