Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Cola Cake

Options
  • 02-12-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of making chocolate cola cake and was just wondering has anyone ever tried it and did it turn out nice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

It is amazing... I make it and it's always gone in a few min!!! Kinda toffeey and chocolatey :D:D:D I want some now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I have made it in the past and it definately has a wow factor.

Its really, really good, moist and fudgy nearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yep, I've had it before. Didn't make it myself though. It's very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Any chance someone who has made it before could post a recipe for it? I'm tempted to try it now, but want to know it's a nice recipe I'm using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Google coca cola cake. The recipe that comes up from the coca cola company is the one I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭elaine.rodger

Well I made it and it turned out nice, think i lefted it in too long tho. Will know for next time.
    The recipe I use is from the odlums site.

Chocolate Cola Cake

Ingredients:
    350g/12oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
    300g/11oz Caster Sugar
    3 heaped tablespoons Cocoa (sieved)
    Good pinch of Bread Soda
    225g/8oz Butter
    225ml/8fluid oz Cola
    125ml/4fluid oz Milk
    2 Eggs (beaten)
    1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence

Topping:

125g/4oz Butter
    2 tablespoons Cola
    1 1/2 heaped tablespoons Cocoa (sieved)
    200g/9oz Icing Sugar

Method:
    1. Sieve flour, sugar, cocoa and bread soda into a bowl.
    2. Slowly melt butter in saucepan with the cola.
    3. In a jug, lightly beat together milk, eggs and vanilla.
    4. Add the cola and milk mixtures to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly but gently.
    5. Pour into a greased 24cm/9-10 inch loose base cake tin.
    6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 1 hour approx.
    7. Place tin on a wire tray to cool for about 20 minutes.
    Topping
    1. Put butter, cola and sieved cocoa into a saucepan and slowly melt the butter.
    2. Bring to the boil, then add in sieved icing sugar.
    3. Beat until smooth, then pour over cake while still warm.
    4. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
    5. When icing is cold, gently remove from tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Howdy... Just wanted to say a big Thank You for the recipe. Made the cake yesterday and it was a massive hit. I'll definitely be making it again soon...

306883448.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1306426971&Signature=ZQhPa4xfD6Mo6x9VSsCqrg1gn28%3D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 aisog

Wow! this looks amazing! Must try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sounds yum, I treated myself to a bottle of cherry coke (hard to find where we are) would cherry coke be ok to use instead? As in flavour wise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 aisog

Well i tried it! Mustve done something wrong cos wasn't all that impressed!

Might try it this weekend, does anyone have a photo of a cola cake they made?

Off to make this now, had to pop on here because I took the recipe down wrong I nearly left out the butter and the milk duuuuh

Got impatient and it was a tad undercooked, half it's gone already. I'll give it another 10 minutes next time, I only cooked it for 45 mins because my cookers generally fast but I think even the full hour might of been ok. I've never made icing that way before, I don't think anyway, and it's great it's self levelling but of course I had to poke around with it and mess it up. Will deffo be using that icing again for cupcakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

I made cupcakes with dr pepper a while back and they turned out delish, a must try if you like dr pepper!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

I want to make this for my little brother's 18th at the weekend! Do you think I could use baking soda instead of bread soda? Maybe they are the same thing? I don't make cakes very regularly so I'm not sure :o

@Shoe lover you could, it's a nice enough cake just doesn't taste of coke but it's another way to make a choccy cake.

Well I made this on Friday and iced it on Saturday. And it was lovely biggrin.gif Everyone liked it, even my mam who is not a cake lover, especially not chocolate cake. Only three of us had slices of it on Saturday night and when I called in yesterday evening, it was gonso! biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Sounds delish! think ill give it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

In James Martin's cook book desserts he has a recipe for this and he has a chocolate and marshmallow sauce to go over it.

Have made the cake loads of times, always really moist, have also put the mixture into cupcakes and cook for 20 mins.

Might have to make it again the weekend ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

Sorry for bumping up a slightly old topic, but this only just caught my eye today. My little girl's birthday is this week and I'm going to bake her a cake, as I usually do. Would two of these cakes sandwiched together be nice or would it be too much? Have to bake this in someone else's kitchen, as we'll be away for the birthday so I want to do something easy but still yummy. I usually do a 'sandwich' type cake and then decorate with icing. I think as we're travelling over the birthday weekend I need to keep things as simple as possible.
    I was thinking that maybe this cake would be a good substitute, but need it to be a bit more birthday-ish.
    So, two cakes sandwiched together with a filling? Would a chocolate buttercream be too much, would regular butter cream or even fresh cream be nice?

KazDub wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping up a slightly old topic, but this only just caught my eye today. My little girl's birthday is this week and I'm going to bake her a cake, as I usually do. Would two of these cakes sandwiched together be nice or would it be too much? Have to bake this in someone else's kitchen, as we'll be away for the birthday so I want to do something easy but still yummy. I usually do a 'sandwich' type cake and then decorate with icing. I think as we're travelling over the birthday weekend I need to keep things as simple as possible.
    I was thinking that maybe this cake would be a good substitute, but need it to be a bit more birthday-ish.
    So, two cakes sandwiched together with a filling? Would a chocolate buttercream be too much, would regular butter cream or even fresh cream be nice?

I'd say it'd be grand as is. I made it for my little brother's birthday a few weeks ago and just decorated it as per the instructions but then I made up some white buttercream and piped it around the edge, then wrote "Happy 18th" in the middle. There's a picture further up the page - not the best, it was my first time icing. But the cake was lovely and it was all gone by the time I went back into mam's the following day!

Have since made this cake for my colleagues and they devoured it too! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Just made this last night, very tasty and not too heavy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    The cola could be boiled to reduce it down. Or you could use soda stream concentrates.

Advertisement