Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonding solution after skimming (before painting)?

Options
  • 02-12-2010 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

We just bought a house that's around 25 years old and are refurbishing it a little bit. The first thing we have done is to strip the wallpaper that the previous owners had all over the house. Then we put Thistle Bond-it to the walls and skimmed over.

Now the plan is to do some repairs, sand and paint. With the skim coat dry our builder painted first with a Crown Pure Brilliant White Emulsion and then he plans to give two coats of the paint we chose for the walls.

Do we have to apply another bonding solution before painting? That's the advice we got in B&Q this morning... but the walls (plasterboard) have already the Thistle Bont-it over it. Is that Crown White Emulsion going to work properly as an undercoat or should we put something else before painting?

Any help appreaciated!

Thanks very much!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

All painters have there own theory on this but if you speak to the manufacturer of skim etc they will tel you never put a sealer like Polly bond or pva on new skim you just seal in the damp that will stay there really for a few weeks more so in this weather and if you ever seen it paint peels off in damp spots, also never sand finished skim unless its really bad as the skim should have a polished surfaces ready to paint.
    You should google this the best thing to do is a watered down solution of emulsion first coat then work away with your finished coat hope this helps as I said Google this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Manuito

Thank you, that's what the builder intends to do, then. He is only going to sand small spots where he has had to repair the wall after skimming for some reason.

I did google this, but I know there are some real experts around here and just wanted to confirm this again, as I found different methods (including applying the bonding solution) and not every answer I found could be applied to Ireland.

Thanks again!

Advertisement