Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google adds to the algorithm

Options
  • 02-12-2010 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭

A very interesting lid lifting of ‘Pandora’s Box’.

A website run by, a seemingly fairly odious character called Tony Russo called DecorMyEyes.com had a fairly shocking standard of ‘customer service, so much so that the site and the plight of one of his clients Clarabelle Rodriguez managed to hit the headlines in no less than the N.T.Y.

On the back of this, and again on a white charger, Google came to rescue this fair maid, not with a lance and sword – but with an algorithm!
    They amended their magic formula to detect that site “along with hundreds of other merchants that, in our opinion, provide a extremely poor user experience.". Once hunted down. It’s called “abuse rank” according to Google and detects site who “provide an extremely poor user experience” – and obviously drop a bomb on them stating “that being bad is, and hopefully will always be, bad for business in Google’s search results”.

Interesting: it intimates that G is now looking at the sentiment of comments left on social networks and online forums, like here and using it to determine/penalise some web rankings.

It is, as their official blog states, difficult to filter all the negativity.
    [Ryanair, I think would have a high level of negative comments out there in the interweb – in comparison with other airlines. This is due to the massive volumes and the no frills. There was even had a website dedicated to negative comments about the airline which the carrier had shut down of late. However, it’s one of the most profitable airlines in the business and does it by volume and ‘no frills’ – G simply couldn’t take into account all of the negative sentiment against Ryanair considering it does exactly what it states it will]

Surely (and don’t call me ……) that leaves this open to wholesale abuse. Does it filter real comments as opposed to those left by competitors?!

Only time will tell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Read about this case also but wonder is it more "do no evil" bull from Google. However when you read the full story the guy in question was a total nut job. He did however manage to exploit a "loophole" in Google and in fact wrote the worst reviews on his business himself to assist in ranking him higher! Go figure?

Personally I'd think this is just a freak case as no way could Google start penalising sites with negative reviews. The Ryanair model you mentioned being a perfect example although there are literally loads more like
    RatemySolicitor etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

DecorMyEyes.com Owner Arrested on Fraud Charges

Can't see this helping is rankings. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭byrne0f56789

I'm sure Google have a way to filter comments on social networks and forums. I can understand why the buzz about a business on social networks is being included in the search algorithm

Human activity seems to be more important. However, I think sticking to good content is the best long term SEO strategy.

That will then create buzz on the social networks. I don't think you can force this.

Advertisement