Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Novels

Options
  • 02-12-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Just wondering whom among you all buy and read Star Trek novels?

I have a huge collection that I started buying back in the early 90's. Mainly from the TOS and TNG genres but I had a fair few DS9 books and a few Voyager books. I also used to buy the non numbered hardback special editions such as movie novelisations and the book written by Jeri Taylor based on Janeway's earlier life.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Used to read the TNG novels about 15 years ago.

I can remember: Vendetta, Rogue Saucer, Strike Zone, A Rock and a Hard Palce, Doomsday World, The Romulan Prize, Balance of Power, The Last Stand, Intellivore.

Many of them were surprisingly good. I can recall bits of them as if they were half-remembered tv episodes. I remember how fast you could get through them - the language was simplistic enough and you could visualise everything effortlessly. You could read one of them in a couple of nights no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭AndrewS

Yes, I have all of them. Most of the ones you mentioned were pretty good as I remember. My favourite in the TNG era was Imzadi by Peter David. Really really good book. L.A. Graf was another favourite author, or should I say pair of authors. They mainly wrote for the TOS era though.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

The Q Trilogy novels are still some of my all time favorite sci-fi literature, absolutely brilliant, goes way back to Q's origins and all the crap he's seen, loads of abandoned civilizations and the remains of their massive engineering works left out in space and stuff like that that you'd never see in in the tv series, I would seriously recommend tracking it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

I've been buying them since 1999 and have somewhere over 150 now. Loved 'Once Burned' by Peter David and many many others.

Finished 'Zero Sum Game' by David Mack and the reprint of 'Nightshade' recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

I've only gotten back into them recently. Read alot of the ones mentioned above. Peter David generally was guarenteed to be a good read. Recently the destiny series and the Titan series have been quite good

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I wouldn't mind getting into them, I have read some good science fiction before but not in absolutely ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Try the Titan series. It starts after the last Next Gen movie. It also leads into other novels too.Destiny brings the Borgback to what they should be. Endgame is good. Wraps Voyager up well:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I must say that I did like the Destiny tale, although it did drag a bit in places.

Especially around the
    stranded city ship birthing the Borg
    , I was mentally screaming "announce it already"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just finished the ENT book, The Good that Men do.

Terrible, frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Just finished the first Titan book, also terrible, might skip straight to the Borg one, or I might just never read another Star trek novel ever again.

• Advertisement

This might be against the rules but I am emigrating next month and would like to get rid of my collection. I have well over 200 but I dont have a list. They were bought from the early 90's through to the early 2000's and encompass TOS, TNG and some DS9 and VOY books. I also have movie novelisations and special edition hardbacks. Also, any of the books I had from Diane Duane and her husband Peter Morwood are signed by the authors.

I have Imzadi 1 and 2 both in hardback and also the scripts from all three seasons of TOS in book form. I even have the Klingon dictionary and the Ferengi Rules of Aquisition! I dont want to split them up so it would be nice to sell them all to one buyer. Some of these books were so good that I read them in a couple of hours!

AndrewS wrote: »
    This might be against the rules but I am emigrating next month and would like to get rid of my collection. I have well over 200 but I dont have a list. They were bought from the early 90's through to the early 2000's and encompass TOS, TNG and some DS9 and VOY books. I also have movie novelisations and special edition hardbacks. Also, any of the books I had from Diane Duane and her husband Peter Morwood are signed by the authors.

I have Imzadi 1 and 2 both in hardback and also the scripts from all three seasons of TOS in book form. I even have the Klingon dictionary and the Ferengi Rules of Aquisition! I dont want to split them up so it would be nice to sell them all to one buyer. Some of these books were so good that I read them in a couple of hours!

Throw it up on adverts.ie (link is in the menu bar). Sister site to here, so a lot of the same users.

Thanks Norrie, I will. I just want to try and get a quick sale so thought I would mention it here. Replied to your PM by the way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Just finished 'A Time to be Born.' First time I read a Star Trek Novel in years. Used to have about 20 of them when I was back in secondary school. Getting back into them now. Didn't know where to start so picked one that was first in a series (A time to... series). Have it on the smart-phone. Handy when I have a few minutes to spare.

Got the 'Terok Nor' trilogy too when Dukat was in charge. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Got the 'Terok Nor' trilogy too when Dukat was in charge. Looking forward to it.

A good read..kinda dragged a bit towards the end though. I've finally got my hands on a copy of "A Stitch in Time" and am working my way through it (picked it up cheap on amazon.com for approx $10 including postage, it's over £100 to buy on amazon.co.uk).

Endaaaagh wrote: »
    A good read..kinda dragged a bit towards the end though. I've finally got my hands on a copy of "A Stitch in Time" and am working my way through it (picked it up cheap on amazon.com for approx $10 including postage, it's over £100 to buy on amazon.co.uk).

Been trying to get my hands on that one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I'll sell you mine when I'm finished...how does 50 euro sound????;)

Just kidding..you should be able to get a good second hand copy cheap on amazon.com. Mine was second hand but it's like new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Just started a TNG novel called 'Blaze of Glory'. Pretty good so far. Has a bit of a cold war feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

+1 for "A Stitch In Time". It's a great read. Garak is such an excellent character.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Fidelis wrote: »
    +1 for "A Stitch In Time". It's a great read. Garak is such an excellent character.

Haven't read it but love the Garak character so will check this out. I have that book on a text file. Actually, I have dozens of Star Trek novels. Downloaded them a couple of years ago but pretty clueless at to where I should start!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If you have an ebook thing you can "acquire" every star trek book, thats what I did.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    If you have an ebook thing you can "acquire" every star trek book, thats what I did.

I prefer to support the franchise that I love, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I prefer to support the franchise that I love, thanks

m'eh

none of it is sanctioned canon material anyway

m'eh

none of it is sanctioned canon material anyway

Someone still has to write it, a company has to take a gamble and publish it and Paramount/CBS (whoever) own the rights

Profit is all that they care about. The franchises will die completely, if there are no profits coming in

Just my own opinion:pac:

Advertisement