Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well done taxi drivers

• 02-12-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Well done to all the taxi drivers (in dublin) who continued to work through the bad snow and terrible driving conditions yesterday and today .The "public funded" transport stopped working at various times yesterday and stopped altogether at 8pm last nite.Yet taxi drivers put not only their lives at risk but their livilihoods .
    Well done to all ,for getting many stranded and abandoned people home

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

Don't be so naive mate - they kept working so they could make a killing fleecing people while the public transport system was in tatters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Oasis44 wrote: »
    Don't be so naive mate - they kept working so they could make a killing fleecing people while the public transport system was in tatters.

true but they key point is they kept working

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

true but they key point is they kept working

True and to be fair I would rather have been fleeced than walk home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

True but they key point is they kept working

I suspect Oisin is flying a kite along the lines of Dublin bus drivers not wanting to work etc etc etc....

Speaking for myself,I worked for as long as possible yesterday,before getting stuck in the chaos which engulfed Parnell Square and the City Centre generally.

However just to fly Oisin`s kite a bit higher,of course there were Taxi drivers working,with c 17,000 Taxi`s in the Dublin Taximeter area it`s obvious that some will always be working.

However,as the later queue`s at empty City Taxi Ranks also illustrated it was far from "Business-as-Usual" with Taxidrivers either.

Whilst Oisin may well believe that his "Public Funded" Transport suddenly decided to do a bunk just for the fun of it,the reality was far more prosaic,in that the City`s Administrative infrastructure once again collapsed (:eek: ) making it hugely hazardous to attempt "Business-as-Usual" on the Buses.

Comparing a car or van based Taxi,which is a point-to-point operation,with a stage-carriage bus service is an Apples vs Sweet Potato comparison and really does not support a good oul Bus Service rant at all....However I`m sure there`ll be another one along in a minute ...:) :):)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

oisindoyle wrote: »
    The "public funded" transport stopped working at various times yesterday and stopped altogether at 8pm last nite.home

Eh, the trains didn't? As far as I was aware (it's not near me) the Luas didn't either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Eh, the trains didn't? As far as I was aware (it's not near me) the Luas didn't either?

LUAS and trains kept running. There were delays but that's unavoidable in weather like this.

Why is public funded in quotes in the original post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

The bus drivers wouldn't be thanked if the bus crashes, prob lose their job.

The managers probably made the decision to stop.

Taxi drivers prob an individual decision for each driver and out of 17,000 there are prob some who would drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Well done to the taxi driver who stopped for my 70 year old dad this afternoon. He asked where he was going, said no way and sped off.

Salt of the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I say fair play to those taxi drivers (both inside and outside Dublin) who continued working and doing their best to get people safely home. It's not easy driving in those conditions and I'm sure a lot were tempted to throw the towel in many times over the course of the evening.

There's a similar thread about the public transport drivers/mechanics/controllers which is equally deserved.

I'm sure the fact that the OP used his post to also take a swipe at the "public funded" transport providers has distracted from the point which is a pity.

I think we should take these threads in the spirit in which their meant and recognise the difficult jobs some people are required to do in these conditions.

-Chris- wrote: »
    I think we should take these threads in the spirit in which their meant and recognise the difficult jobs some people are required to do in these conditions.

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Obviously driving a 40 foot long bus is just as easy in snow as a car. Even better if it's bendy or double deck.

Cop on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Obviously driving a 40 foot long bus is just as easy in snow as a car. Even better if it's bendy or double deck.

True indeed Dowlingm,however it`s not th acual driving that presents the problems.

Most of the DB fleet is fully ABS`d,ASR`d with more ECU`s than your average Common Market...the really hair raising moments surround the stopping and starting bits....which being Busdrivers we just can`t avoid doing.

It has always been an issue with me that Bus Stops and Bus Bays rarely get a sniff of Grit or Salt whilst the crown of the road is totally clear.

A prime example of this was/is the St Stephens Green Bus Lane which up to 1100 this morning was in a very dangerous condition with compacted and rutted ice whilst the carriageway itself was clear.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I was walking home yesterday and passed a taxi sitting in traffic with 2 really really old OAP's sitting in it. The meter was at 149euros. I had to look twice to make sure i wasnt seeing 14.90, but it was definetly 149 euros. The traffic was at a total standstill so they would of been in that taxi on that road at least another hour before moving on.

I really hope he didnt charge them that much, felt so bad for them. If i could i would of went and got my car and brought them home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

And they deserve it and danger money for risking their cabs and insurance policies while the majority of their customers have their cars safely parked in their driveways.

If you have something to complain about.......... Shanks mare. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

I was walking home yesterday and passed a taxi sitting in traffic with 2 really really old OAP's sitting in it. The meter was at 149euros. I had to look twice to make sure i wasnt seeing 14.90, but it was definetly 149 euros. The traffic was at a total standstill so they would of been in that taxi on that road at least another hour before moving on.

I really hope he didnt charge them that much, felt so bad for them. If i could i would of went and got my car and brought them home.

Why would have brought them home ?it was none of anyones business.The implication of your comments was that the passengers were being somehow fleeced .But the reality of the situation if you did not know the facts. For all you know the passengers may have come up to Dublin from the Country and were fully aware of relative price

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

All taxi drivers should have show chains. I don't really understand why they all just don;t go out and buy a pair for less than €100 - they'll make their money back many times in a few days and help out a lot of people in need.

All taxi drivers should have those snow socks in their boot imho.

Zascar wrote: »
    All taxi drivers should have show chains. I don't really understand why they all just don;t go out and buy a pair for less than €100 - they'll make their money back many times in a few days and help out a lot of people in need.

"They'll make their money back many times in a few days",I had a good laugh at that ,thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Ah lads leave the bus drivers alone and remember the auld days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDv1ubaFA0E

I think we've gone a little soft as a nation.

Well done men. The old man just got home - 4 hours walk thanks to our hero taxi drivers who just couldn't be arsed.

I'm sure you must feel very proud of yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

stimpson wrote: »
    Well done to the taxi driver who stopped for my 70 year old dad this afternoon. He asked where he was going, said no way and sped off.

Salt of the earth.

now that is a 100% gold standard <snip>

i hope he ploughs it into a fcuking wall.

they'll be making plenty more money tonite, DB just pulled all service from town at 9.

snow socks on the car and they'll be fine nearly everywhere.

"They'll make their money back many times in a few days",I had a good laugh at that ,thanks

I don't understand that.

Surely between the choice of paying €100 for chains or snow socks or working curtailed hours, moving at slower speeds, not being able to access certain areas, increased likelihood of accident due to lack of grip etc. etc. spending €100 is a no-brainer.

DaDumTish wrote: »
    now that is a 100% gold standard <snip>

i hope he ploughs it into a fcuking wall.

i would have thought the use of language like that on a public forum breaks rules and is unacceptable as is the "wish"

i would have thought the use of language like that on a public forum breaks rules and is unacceptable as is the "wish"

I presume that's why you reported it.

I've snipped the objectionable word from the post in question.
    Now I'll snip it from the quote in your post...

I presume that's why you reported it.

I've snipped the objectionable word from the post in question.
    Now I'll snip it from the quote in your post...

Ta,I was suprised that the mods missed it and let it go .Also is it acceptable to wish someone "ploughs into a wall "....somehow I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ta,I was suprised that the mods missed it and let it go ..

It was posted less then an hour ago, give them some credit. Nobody reads every single thread

Dealt with now anyway

It was posted less then an hour ago, give them some credit. Nobody reads every single thread

Dealt with now anyway

I did and thank you for your input

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

All taxi drivers should have those snow socks in their boot imho.

Saw a good few cars with these, didn't know what the fúck they were! At speed it looks like a round plank of wood attached to the wheel!

• Advertisement

Ta,I was suprised that the mods missed it and let it go .Also is it acceptable to wish someone "ploughs into a wall "....somehow I don't.

We don't catch everything unfortunately, that's why reported posts are so helpful (thanks).

I do think that venting along the lines of "I hope he ploughs off a cliff" would be an acceptable response in the situation outlined by stimpson, but stimpson's post can't be independently verified and dadumtish has no ability to cause any harm to this anonymous driver through his venting on the internet, so I let it slide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

I was going in to work this morning, and i was starting at 7. I called a cab at about 6.20.
    "-Sure. 20-25 minutes!" Knowing the irish roadskills during this "calamity" i had my worries.
    7:20 i called just to check the status. "-Just around the corner, sir.."
    It arrived 25 minutes later leaving me an hour and 15 minutes late for work.

The irony of it all is that while i was waiting, the buses started to work.
    But yeah. beats walking. Having a relative in the business i know they are carving gold during these times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

dMaN24 wrote: »
    I was going in to work this morning, and i was starting at 7. I called a cab at about 6.20.
    "-Sure. 20-25 minutes!" Knowing the irish roadskills during this "calamity" i had my worries.
    7:20 i called just to check the status. "-Just around the corner, sir.."
    It arrived 25 minutes later leaving me an hour and 15 minutes late for work.

The irony of it all is that while i was waiting, the buses started to work.
    But yeah. beats walking. Having a relative in the business i know they are carving gold during these times.
    You called a taxi 40 minutes before you were due to start work? In weather like this?

facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Zascar wrote: »

Snow chains destroy road surfaces, seriously reduce your fuel efficiency, limit you to driving at less than 30mph & have a tendency to come loose a lot.

Snow/ winter tyres are much better. They're not cheap, but you can fit them during a cold spell like this, then take them off when it finishes. That way you get a few years out of them.

You would think that someone who drives for a living - such as a taxi driver - would have them.

I wouldn't drive without them in winter spells like this & I don't even drive for a living.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

how can they fleece people? Its all regulated

We don't catch everything unfortunately, that's why reported posts are so helpful (thanks).

I do think that venting along the lines of "I hope he ploughs off a cliff" would be an acceptable response in the situation outlined by stimpson, but stimpson's post can't be independently verified and dadumtish has no ability to cause any harm to this anonymous driver through his venting on the internet, so I let it slide.

Ah thats kool Chris i appreciate that you cant catch everything ,,,,however i am surprised that you allowed the "ploughs into a wall (not a cliff as you typed)...lol,,,,,
    I'd just looked at the boards.ie rules and it says ,,,,post Material that contains violence, or offensive subject matter "...i would have thought wishing somone to plough into a wall was offensive and violent in nature ,,maybe its just me

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    how can they fleece people? Its all regulated

going longer routes "cos of the ice", spinning up the wheels constantly to increase distance, just two ways...

spinning up the wheels constantly to increase distance

Would certainly explain 149 euro fares.

going longer routes "cos of the ice", spinning up the wheels constantly to increase distance, just two ways...

Going longer routes to avoid potential dangerous road conditions is responsible and acceptable to most paying customers i would .Trying to tarnish taxi drivers who are out in dangerous road conditions when all public transport is off the road,is bad form .
    and you comment spinning up the wheels to increase distance ,believeing that it increases the fare is just the most nonsencial thing i have ever read on any forum .Congratulations

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i hate when taxi drivers divert for my safety. Mind you i can tell him which route I would prefer to take. Or i could get out.

Damn taxi men

stimpson wrote: »
    Would certainly explain 149 euro fares.
    It explains nothing .because its nonsense

• Advertisement

Going longer routes to avoid potential dangerous road conditions is responsible and acceptable to most paying customers i would .Trying to tarnish taxi drivers who are out in dangerous road conditions when all public transport is off the road,is bad form .
    and you comment spinning up the wheels to increase distance ,believeing that it increases the fare is just the most nonsencial thing i have ever read on any forum .Congratulations

I just gave potential issues some drivers may be doing, it was asked how they can fleece customers... I'm not suggesting the majority do anything like that.

the first part would simply be lying to customers about conditions.

Why is the wheel spinning thing rubbish? The distance on the meter is read off the wheel, just like the speedo and odo is it not? You can easily have you driving wheels doing 60 while the car is doing 20...

I just gave potential issues some drivers may be doing, it was asked how they can fleece customers... I'm not suggesting the majority do anything like that.

the first part would simply be lying to customers about conditions.

Why is the wheel spinning thing rubbish? The distance on the meter is read off the wheel, just like the speedo and odo is it not? You can easily have you driving wheels doing 60 while the car is doing 20...

well i cannot see how anyone be they breadman postman housewife doctor accountant ,taximan LIE about the conditions we are experiencing at the moment .
    It's quite evident that you are trying to stir things up with daft comments ,
    As for you spinning wheels comment ,again I would suggest you are just trying to stir things up because your comment is nonsenscial and false .
    End of..

It explains nothing .because its nonsense

Then please explain how the meters calculate distance.

well i cannot see how anyone be they breadman postman housewife doctor accountant ,taximan LIE about the conditions we are experiencing at the moment .

well you're a bit naive then aren't you
    As for you spinning wheels comment ,again I would suggest you are just trying to stir things up because your comment is nonsensical and false .
    End of.

explain how it works then rather than dismissing it out of hand then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Yeah no taxi driver has ever told a lie to make a few extra euro... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

I can't quite put my finger on what it is... but does anyone else find oisindoyle's posts slightly enraging??
    Maybe is cabin fever I don't know but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

godtabh wrote: »
    i hate when taxi drivers divert for my safety. Mind you i can tell him which route I would prefer to take. Or i could get out.

Damn taxi men

Im sure the taxi driver will be happy enough not to ask for the initial sit in fee so you can get a taxi the rest of the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

well you're a bit naive then aren't you

explain how it works then rather than dismissing it out of hand then.

It works on a sequence of electrical pulses that detect motion from the driving wheels on the car. When the taxi goes beyond a set amount of pulses the meter will work on distance traveled while it reverts to timed increments if a specified speed is not hit.

For a taxi to rack up the fares skidding wheels, you'd need to find a slippery patch and for the taxi to rev up on it for while risking his cars wellbeing for the sake of a quid or two. It's a bit far fetched to think that it could and would happen if you ask me.

Can we dial the taxi-bashing down a bit? I don't really see the taxi drivers being able to drive any significant distance at 20kmph while their wheels are doing 60kmph.

There are many ways that many professions cheat their customers, but let's stick with specific issues experienced by specific people rather than worst case scenario, and let's try and stay relatively on-topic rather than getting caught up in negative what ifs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Well at least the trains are running in this weather keep up the excellent work Irish Rail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement