Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get away with this?

Options
  • 02-12-2010 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

So basically I have a 3,000 word research essay due tomorrow and have jsut realised that the topic I picked is not going to work. There just isn't enough info on it.

So I have a new topic. I have an essay that I wrote for a different module that is quite relevant to my new topic. Does it count as plagerism if I copy and paste a few bits (not all of it) into my new essay??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

So basically I have a 3,000 word research essay due tomorrow and have jsut realised that the topic I picked is not going to work. There just isn't enough info on it.

So I have a new topic. I have an essay that I wrote for a different module that is quite relevant to my new topic. Does it count as plagerism if I copy and paste a few bits (not all of it) into my new essay??

Not at all - go for it!!

Better do that than not submit any essay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

You'd be fine I imagine to just rejig the essay to make relevent to the new quesiton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Thanks guys, I'm gonna go for it. Can't get into the library obviously, so this will have to do! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

It is plagiarism afaik. I guess quote the sources you used the last time and don't copy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It is definitely plagiarism unless you re-write it. Using the same topic and ideas is fine, but the same essay is plagiarism. Plus something that is "quite relevant" is not the same as being written with a particular module in mind. You should write another essay and use elements of your other essay. For good measure, I'll quote myself from that other thread.
    Anything you have previously submitted is now the intellectual property of UCD, so you are not allowed use it again. You would be much wiser to re-write something similar if you are keen on using similar ideas.

Basically you are breaking the rules and in some cases, people have been punished for doing so. Also, Convert made some excellent points beneath my quote in the thread that is referred to above.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Yep, it's plagiarism. Normally called 'recycling'.

Plus if you've submitted the previous essay into Blackboard your new essay will light up like a Christmas tree when you submit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I'm only using the introductory paragraph from the old essay, the rest of the essay is new work and not from the old essay.

So I think I'll be ok? Hopefully?

I'd still re-write it. It would not take much effort to re-work the sentences so that they are a little bit different. Better to put in a few minutes effort to save yourself a headache down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Plus if you have a new essay, your introductory paragraph wont make any sense. Your intro is supposed to be where you outline what you are going to address in the main body of your esay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

My first advice would have been for you not to publicly announce your intention to resubmit parts of an essay for another module. UCD lecturers do peruse this forum from time to time.

Plus if you have a new essay, your introductory paragraph wont make any sense. Your intro is supposed to be where you outline what you are going to address in the main body of your esay

That is very good advice. Common sense dictates that the introduction should introduce the essay that follows!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Yes, it is still plagiarism unless you rewrite the parts of the essay you're planning on using. Moreover, as has been already mentioned above, you'll need to completely change your introduction as it's meant to introduce the essay topic you're dealing it and outline what your essay is going to do. If you just stick on an introduction from another essay it won't address the topic and you'll lose marks.

Advertisement