Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QATAR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

They'll have great stadiums to stone women to death in after the soccer's over:eek:

Will we be able to see all those sexy latinas in their bikinis at games, if not FIFA are a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

zerks wrote: »
    Corruption wins again,England had a great bid but Russia? Just check out youtube for videos of hooliganism over there.The last time Ireland played there innocent people with kids and women were attacked in the streets.Tickets stolen by 'officials' at the stadium,crazy country.As for Qatar-50 celsius in summer and strict islamic laws.Blatter is a clown.The World Cup is meant to be for the fans-not rich fat cats staying in 5 star hotels and being ferried to the games by limo.But as we've seen by the revelations all FIFA bigwigs are interested in is money.
    FIFA is corrupted to the bone. I wonder how much Roman Abramovich and Qatar's oil oligarchs have paid to FIFA officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 arid

You can argue for Russia. There are a lot of issues but you can take them winning it.

Qatar however is an absolute joke. Smaller than Northern Ireland (population-wise and area). 6 stadiums in 1 city, the only real city there (remember the Scotland-Ireland euro bid failed in 2008 because of 2 games in Glasgow on the same day :rolleyes:). One of the stadiums is in a "city" of 10,000. This is before we even mention the 50 degree heat. Maybe you can air-condition a stadium but not a whole country. Not to mention the Sharia law, no alcohol etc (though they'll probably relax it in fan zones or something).

The whole thing is a farce and Russia and Qatar together shows FIFA for the corrupt bastards they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The black players can enjoy a whole summer of racism in Russia and the fans can all take the pledge before heading to Qatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

FIFA is corrupted to the bone. I wonder how much Roman Abramovich and Qatar's oil oligarchs have paid to FIFA officials.

Don't you just wish we had the money to bribe FIFA:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

FearDark wrote: »
    Infastructure? One word FIFA seem to have misplaced. South Africa, case in point. Farce.
    It'n not going to spread out all over Russia its very condensed to the west. They also have eights years.

Corruption should be the main concern, a Fifa ref being interviewed by c4 news said that more than 50% of Russian football matches were fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Russia
    Alcohol: Cheap, readily accessible.
    Women: Stunning, up for fun

Qatar
    Alcohol: Expensive, Hard to get(you need to obtain a permit to buy it). Also you can go to jail for being drunk in public.
    Women: Stunning, but not much chance of getting any action. Pre-marital sex is a no-no, and if you have sex with a woman who is married you could go to jail for adultery. Catch-22.

I know which World Cup I wont be going to.

The black players can enjoy a whole summer of racism in Russia and the fans can all take the pledge before heading to Qatar.

We are no better in this country when it comes to racism. England has its problems for years. That is no argument for not giving it to the Russia. Qatar is a strange choice as its not the biggest middle-eastern country but they obviously have the money and will be well supported by the surrounding nations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

Fifa is rotten to the core ... Russia winning is fair enough but come on how many serious soccer fans are in Qatar? they obviously just bribed their way to the cup. The Thierry henry thing showed one thing Fifa's moto should be "cheaters win"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Fifa is rotten to the core ... Russia winning is fair enough but come on how many serious soccer fans are in Qatar? they obviously just bribed their way to the cup. The Thierry henry thing showed one thing Fifa's moto should be "cheaters win"
    nah

its in the arabian region for the FIRST time so thats a plus

they also are building their stadiums in kit form and dismantling them and sending them to all corners of the third world for permanent errection after the tournament! They won brownie points on legacy and development there.

south africa was a technical risk and it didnt do too bad so FIFA was happy enough to gamble on the next 2 world cup awards also on risky bids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm sure there'll be quite a few more because of the fact that it's to be held there. Isn't that what FIFA is all about (apart from corruption).. promotion of the game?

I would have liked to see England win with their bid for 2018, but I'm sure Qatar will put on a decent show when their turn comes round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

The Qatari delegate (from a tiny country with cash and no football history, natch) was expected to inherit the FIFA throne from Septic Bladder.

Oddly enough, he recently pulled out of the running, leading the way clear for the Septic Swiss to run again.

I'm up for Russia holding the WC. Better infrastructure than SA, and more footballing history too. It's a decent country, for all its faults. If SA could hold a world cup, you can bet Russia can too.

Qatar? Total joke. Corruption 1 - Fans 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Qatar will put on a decent show because they will throw enough money at it. Stadia, hotels, infrastgructure, they can build whatever's necessary.

And for those complaining about alcohol, I'll guarentee it will be available, because there is too much money to be made from sponsors. What will happen will be large "Fan Villages" surrounding the stadia where the sponsors can gouge supporters.

It's a perfect location for FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I'm pretty sure the USA had proper transportation for the fans. Everything in the Russain bid is pie in the sky, stadiums, fast trains, hotels. Actually they were the worst candidates for the job. Just goes to show you that the power of the brown envelope is still going strong.

russia already has high speed rail, you can go from moscow to st petersburg in 3hr 30mins by train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

A summertime competition in the feckin' desert!!!!!!!!!

How are you meant to eat a choc ice without making a complete mess of yourself?:confused:

I have to say if it were Qatar who had beaten England there would have been some serious questions. Who else was in there with Qatar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Qatar have never qualified for the World Cup. A complete farce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 arid

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I have to say if it were Qatar who had beaten England there would have been some serious questions. Who else was in there with Qatar?

USA, Australia, Japan, South Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I think they pick far away awkward places for people so that they pay high airfares and the airlines give a chunk to FIFA for it.
    I think you should stop thinking.

Obaraten wrote: »
    So there is no racism in France,England etc?

They take it to a whole new level in Russia,sectarianism is also a huge problem,it'd put Celtic/Rangers in the ha'penny place.How long will it be before we see a panorama special on how Qatar and Russia bribed their way to winning bids? Can't imagine the Green Army partying hard in Qatar-we'd melt in the heat first.
    Davy Kehoe says OH NO!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Vitaly Mutko has compared winning the right to host the 2018 World Cup to the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Mutko said: "Twenty one years ago the Berlin Wall was broken. Today we can break another symbolic wall and open a new era in football together.

Oh, piss off. It's just an over-hyped game where 22 millionaires faff about on a pitch and act like pantomime dames when they fall over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Yep thats right, Roman Abramovich is the only wealthy man in Russia. :rolleyes:

We won't be seeing any of this in Qatar:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Qatar: Where alcohol is illegal. Homosexuals are not allowed. Do not recognise Israel because it's Jewish. Females are treated like second class citizens.

Ireland should leave FIFA.

I'm pretty sure the USA had proper transportation for the fans. Everything in the Russain bid is pie in the sky, stadiums, fast trains, hotels. Actually they were the worst candidates for the job. Just goes to show you that the power of the brown envelope is still going strong.
    Russian officials are corrupts but they had no need to bribe FIFA. Holding it in Russia opens FIFA up to a new market with a lot of potential growth. Football in England can't get any bigger so FIFA doesn't have as much to gain from an English World Cup.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What kind of questions?

Qatar is a new market that has potential for growth, England doesn't.

So there is no racism in France,England etc?
    Russia has way more serious race problems than those countries and you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Qatar: Where alcohol is illegal.
    Not accurate
    Homosexuals are not allowed.
    Not entirely accurate. Homosexuality is not legal. meaning that you cannot be openly homosexual, but they do not jail homosexuals who practice acts privately in Qatar
    Do not recognise Israel because it's Jewish.
    Not actually true at all. Qatar recognised Israel until January 2009. They ended diplomatic relations because of the Israel/Gaza conflict in 2008. They still accept Israeli passports and currency.

Females are treated like second class citizens.
    Women can work, vote, drive and receive an education.

Qatar is one of the most liberal middle eastern countries. In fact the WTA women's tennis was there a few years ago and it went very well...

Seems to be a lot of misinformation and racial stereotyping in this thread.

Really?go on any links?

Here you go- http://english.ruvr.ru/2010/11/12/33642640.html Are you suggesting all those skinhead neo nazis are fine upstandin citizens? Russia has a lot going for it but is riddled with corruption and crime.If these issues can be tackled in the next 8 years fair play to them.But it seems FIFA is based on corruption so I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

syklops wrote: »
    Russia
    Alcohol: Cheap, readily accessible.
    Women: Stunning, up for fun Cheap, readily accessible.

snip

Fixed that for ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Well Lads I don't care who gets drawn in the Sochi Group in Russia 2018 but I am defo going to be heading to the Russian Riveria home of the bikini world record and which hosts an annual bikini show. Its all part of seening the local culture!

http://www.b-d-1.com/viewdata.php?pagekey=1281

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Qatar: Homosexuals are not allowed.

Not a problem. Ashley Cole will probably have retired by 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

Hassan Abdulla al Thawadi, chief executive of the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid, said the Muslim state would also permit alcohol consumption during the world’s most watched sporting event. Specific fan-zones will be set up during the event, they will provide alcohol for sale.

From the wikipedia.
    So thats one problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Russian officials are corrupts but they had no need to bribe FIFA. Holding it in Russia opens FIFA up to a new market with a lot of potential growth. Football in England can't get any bigger so FIFA doesn't have as much to gain from an English World Cup.
    I've just read on a russian site, that 2 stadiums in Russia will be built by a company controlled by Blatter. :eek:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

OisinT wrote: »

Qatar is one of the most liberal middle eastern countries. In fact the WTA women's tennis was there a few years ago and it went very well...

Seems to be a lot of misinformation and racial stereotyping in this thread.

Racial stereotyping? Only a quarter of the population are actual Qatari citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Hassan Abdulla al Thawadi, chief executive of the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid, said the Muslim state would also permit alcohol consumption during the world’s most watched sporting event. Specific fan-zones will be set up during the event, they will provide alcohol for sale.

From the wikipedia.
    So thats one problem solved

Yay, overpriced sponsored alcohol tents! Who needs pubs?

A lot of Eastern European fans model themselves on English fans in the 80's and can't wait 'til 2012 to prove themselves against other 'fans'. The problem is that Russia will see exactly the same situation.As for Qatar,it'l be the quietest World Cup ever due to the restrictive laws,will they have women only sections at the games?

Hold on,does Germany,Poland not have similar problems with skinheads,oh and Britain too?
    and what has the orthodox church and cults got to do with racism and skinheads in Russia?wheres the actual links i requested where you said "The black players can enjoy a whole summer of racism in Russia"

I don't want to get into an argument about racism/sectarianism but here's some links. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_post-Soviet_Russia
    http://btx3.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/the-racism-in-russia-ultra-nationalist-white-supremacists-gangs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

Qatar FIFA playing at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ironic that FIFA has two Fs in it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Obama: it was wrong to award Quatar the 2022 World cup

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Liverpool belong in After Hours.:D

All things Retro even?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Just to straighten out some misconceptions on this thread.

Qatar is not under Sharia Law. They don't behead people / stone people to death.

OK there is only one off licence but you can get alcohol in the hotel bars quite easily. Most hotels have 2 / 3 bars. Irish one is always jammers as you'd expect. They have already said they will relax the laws further in relation to alcohol.

They'll have air conditioned stadiums and air conditioned fan zones around same service by an air conditioned metro so in theory you won't have to experience the heat if you don't want to.

They've already proved they can maintain the target temperature in the stadium in a trial run that FIFA attended.

If it's hookers your looking for Qatar is rife with them. Every bar is full of them.

They've held the WTA women tennis tournament twice in the last few years, this year being the most recent.

They held a golf tournament this year attended by some of the worlds best golfers earlier this year.

They held the Asian games here a couple of years ago and are holding the Asian football championships here in January.

It still has major issues in relation to human rights and the treatment of workers etc. but these have to be addressed due to this decision and supposedly the changes to labour laws etc have been drawn up already and will now be implemented within the next year.

They'll do a good job of it as they have the money and there is one thing the Arabs love doing more than anything else and that's bettering what the west has already done.

Plus 50 degree heat is only really tough for the first month or so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hold on,does Germany,Poland not have similar problems with skinheads,oh and Britain too?
    and what has the orthodox church and cults got to do with racism and skinheads in Russia?wheres the actual links i requested where you said "The black players can enjoy a whole summer of racism in Russia"

Neo-nazis in Ost-Germany like Neo-Nazis in Poland and Russia are stupid political f---ers. Skinheads in UK were hardly political.

Anyways stunned with the results, hard luck England losing out to suspicious lame FIFA reasons. Quatar FFS!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement