Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

QATAR

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Absolutely no excuse for England not to get it. Russia and Qatar were by far the least suitable candidates out of all 5 bids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Aldito wrote: »
    Absolutely no excuse for England not to get it. Russia and Qatar were by far the least suitable candidates out of all 5 bids.

Arrogant bid in 2006 didnt work, so they try accusing FIFA officials of corruption.

Everyone knows that FIFA is corrupt, you dont go after executive committee jobs and reputations when you want something like a multimillion pound event from them. England acted like idiots, again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

How many reading this thread have been to Russia and /or Qatar? They may be wonderful countries (doubt it) but if we haven't been there must be reasons. Take your pick from (1) politics (2) climate (3) economies (4) distance.

Bad for fans imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

RobitTV wrote: »
    Obama: it was wrong to award Quatar the 2022 World cup

You tell him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

I'm all for Russia but Qatar....:confused:

I was rooting for the USA or Austraia! It's no secret that these two countries need a complete rejuvention in football terms, especially since Ozzland have been getting shafted by football for years when there is clearly huge growth potential - same in the States, nevermind the infrastructure already in place in these nations.

For those wondering about Russia...well, if anyone can get ready for a World Cup, its Russia. Their money will have stadiums shooting out from the ground, literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Crosáidí wrote: »
    QATARI JAGUAR

Oi!

One of my mates was born in Qatar. He bought a PS3 about a year ago and he was asking me what he could use as an ID.

Zing! It took me about 10 seconds for me to come up with Qatari Jaguar. I was so proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Qatar is not under Sharia Law.
    Their constitution says different.
    Article 1
    Qatar is an independent sovereign Arab State. Its religion is Islam and Shari'a law shall be a main source of its legislations. Its political system is democratic. The Arabic Language shall be its official language. The people of Qatar are a part of the Arab nation.

http://english.mofa.gov.qa/details.cfm?id=80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Soccer is for fags* and pretty boys who whine every time they are tackled.
    Top level players do not deserve the money they get. The fans do not deserve the punishment of having to pay for over-priced tickets to see a really boring game.

Real men play Hurling.

*Not meant as a slur on homosexuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I want to feel included in this thread. I know nothing about football, Russia, or Qatar, so I should fit right in.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Obaraten wrote: »
    So there is no racism in France,England etc?

Not when they've kicked out all the foreigners, and all the ones who even through a squint look like they might be foreign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

kincsem wrote: »
    How many reading this thread have been to Russia and /or Qatar? They may be wonderful countries (doubt it) but if we haven't been there must be reasons. Take your pick from (1) politics (2) climate (3) economies (4) distance.

Bad for fans imo.

I haven't been to USA, South Africa, Mexico, Italy, Germany, South Korea or Japan, all sites of recent world cups. Maybe they should only hold the WC in Spain, England or France?

It may come as a surprise to some, but there are soccer fans the world over. Why shouldn't the WC be spread around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Just to straighten out some misconceptions on this thread. <Snip for space reasons!>

This is a sensible, logical reply. It doesn't seem to fit in with most of what is being said here!
    Terry wrote: »
    Top level players do not deserve the money they get. The fans do not deserve the punishment of having to pay for over-priced tickets to see a really boring game.

Real men play Hurling.

What a load of tripe. Nice to see the stereotypical nonsense about footballers again. For such soft touches, it is funny how whenever somebody starts a fight on one in a nightclub, the footballer is very rarely on the receiving end of a beating. Football is a tough, physical game. Anybody that can play the way top footballers do and with such pressure on them, deserves my respect.

If I were a footballer playing a stadium of 70,000 people who paid to see me, I would make sure I was getting some of the money. Better the footballers get it than guys in suits.

And I say that as a hurler, a proud one at that. I feel no need to denigrate the most popular game in the world just because I play a different game.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Their constitution says different.

http://english.mofa.gov.qa/details.cfm?id=80

CIA World Factbook says this:
    based on Islamic and civil law codes; discretionary system of law controlled by the Amir, although civil codes are being implemented; Islamic law dominates family and personal matters; has not accepted compulsory ICJ jurisdiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

While England may be the only country that, as Sepp Blatter said, could run a world cup tomorrow, I'm glad for Russia. It will be a huge boost to their economy and outside the very western parts the country really isn't very advanced. Gives other cities a nice excuse to have their infrastructure massively improved.

Would have loved it to be in the UK as it'd be nice to try and go to a game or two, but when you think about it England have already had a World Cup (albeit in 1966), won one, had Euro 1996 and London 2012. Sharing is caring and all that.

The way in which they were voted against, however, was wrong. Technically, theyw should have got it without a shadow of a doubt. FIFA are a farce, and voted against them pureply I'd say because of the whole scandal thing. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Arsenal players will be shattered after traveling to Qatar for the World Cup :(

Bad for Ireland that England did not get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Arsenal players will be shattered after traveling to Qatar for the World Cup :(

I can imagine Ireland playing in QUATARI JAGUAR...

Paul Fu|xin McShane will still be there probably.....

and kevin kilbane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Crosáidí wrote: »
    I can imagine it being a horrible WC for fans with the heat, lack of pubs and brazzers etc.
    #

The brazzers will be flown in.

ebbsy wrote: »
    #

The brazzers will be flown in.

Every four years the best talent from all four corners of the world flies into the host country.

Football teams also head over there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

No problem spreading it around a little bit but this has become ridiculous. FIFA seems to be so busy with this PC nonsense of giving the tournament to these countries who simply haven't the ability to run the thing properly. It's like England and Australia are being punished for being well run, decent places!

Russia is a terrible choice. A corrupt and war-mongering administration they have vast resources but never have I seen them do ANYTHING for any other nation then themselves. Really the Government and the people who put them in power do not deserve this tournament.

Don't think the US, Korea, Portugal, Japan, Holland and Belgium can have any complaints as they have all hosted tournaments recently.

England though must be wondering what they have to do to get the tournament. They deserve the World Cup for so many different reasons. Historically, culturally and financially it is the greatest footballing nation in the world. 100+ full-time professional teams, the best facilities everything in place and ready to go.
    Have to wait till 2030 now at least, 34 years after a very successfull Euro '96 and 64 years after the only World Cup they hosted!

As for 2022... what a joke. Australia is an amazing sporting country. They really are mad about sport over there and would put on a helluva show.
    Fair play to Qatar and the Gulf states in general, they really do punch above there weight but the World Cup shouldn't be awarded to such a small country. It's just illogical.

But then again this is FIFA and this is football. A sport so popular that it can afford to have the worst sports administrators in the world and still continue to thrive. If these guys were in charge of the IRB Rugby probably wouldn't exist in a few years!

• Advertisement

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Historically, culturally and financially it is the greatest footballing nation in the world. 100+ full-time professional teams...

Ahahaha. I think I'm going to die laughing. Its top teams are owned by foreigners. There are only 4 or 5, not 100+. Roman Abramovitch, who owns a team based in London, seemed to be particularly delighted that the cup is going to Russia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Real men play Hurling.

Pathetic.

If it's not meant a slur, why did you choose that word. Pathetic.

When I hear a man talking about "real men" I automatically assume that they're insecure about their own masculinity.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Ahahaha. I think I'm going to die laughing. Its top teams are owned by foreigners. There are only 4 or 5, not 100+. Roman Abramovitch, who owns a team based in London, seemed to be particularly delighted that the cup is going to Russia.

What are you on about lad?!
    There are only 4/5 full time professional teams in England!

Football existed in England before the Premiership you know.

And what does team ownership have to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No problem spreading it around a little bit but this has become ridiculous. FIFA seems to be so busy with this PC nonsense of giving the tournament to these countries who simply haven't the ability to run the thing properly. It's like England and Australia are being punished for being well run, decent places!

Russia is a terrible choice. A corrupt and war-mongering administration they have vast resources but never have I seen them do ANYTHING for any other nation then themselves. Really the Government and the people who put them in power do not deserve this tournament.

Don't think the US, Korea, Portugal, Japan, Holland and Belgium can have any complaints as they have all hosted tournaments recently.

England though must be wondering what they have to do to get the tournament. They deserve the World Cup for so many different reasons. Historically, culturally and financially it is the greatest footballing nation in the world. 100+ full-time professional teams, the best facilities everything in place and ready to go.
    Have to wait till 2030 now at least, 34 years after a very successfull Euro '96 and 64 years after the only World Cup they hosted!

As for 2022... what a joke. Australia is an amazing sporting country. They really are mad about sport over there and would put on a helluva show.
    Fair play to Qatar and the Gulf states in general, they really do punch above there weight but the World Cup shouldn't be awarded to such a small country. It's just illogical.

But then again this is FIFA and this is football. A sport so popular that it can afford to have the worst sports administrators in the world and still continue to thrive. If these guys were in charge of the IRB Rugby probably wouldn't exist in a few years!

Ahem. And England is... ;)

Qatar being a small nation doesn't preclude them (they're loaded), in fact the awarding of the hosting to Qatar is likely an awarding to the entire Arab region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The rate of sweaty arse will go through the roof in Qatar

• Advertisement

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And what does team ownership have to do with it?

He mentioned that England is the greatest footballing nation financially. Their top teams are foreign-owned. Obviously, they can't afford to own their own top teams and they can't afford to buy the WC.

/shrugs

He mentioned that England is the greatest footballing nation financially. Their top teams are foreign-owned. Obviously, they can't afford to own their own top teams and they can't afford to buy the WC.

/shrugs

They are still English clubs, ownership really does not come into it imo.

Anyway International football is pony, club football is where it is at.

gambiaman wrote: »
    Ahem. And England is... ;)

Qatar being a small nation doesn't preclude them (they're loaded), in fact the awarding of the hosting to Qatar is likely an awarding to the entire Arab region.

England is probably one of the least corrupt places on earth. A very decent and fair society. As for the war mongering taking down Saddam Hussein's regime and trying to bring stability to Afghanistan is certainly more justified then invading Georgia and trying to bully Ukraine into not joining the EU.

As for Qatar, 6 stadiums proposed for 1 city!
    Just too small, doesn't matter how much money they have.

/shrugs

The locals will be able to afford to go to the matches and actually fill the stadiums, unlike this summers farce in South Africa.
    England is well capable of affording the World Cup. Wouldn't think there would be any white elephants in terms of stadia, transport or accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

It would be great for Ireland if England had got the world cup, nice and easy to travel to, whether we qualified or not. Maybe with the Olympics coming soon it was felt they had enough. Spain/Portugal should have been a strong bid also.

This decision shows FIFA are thinking ahead though. Russia and the middle east are where the money and power is from now on while the western economies are in decline and drowning in debt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Real Madrid men play Hurling.

They sure do.

What a load of tripe. Nice to see the stereotypical nonsense about footballers again. For such soft touches, it is funny how whenever somebody starts a fight on one in a nightclub, the footballer is very rarely on the receiving end of a beating. Football is a tough, physical game. Anybody that can play the way top footballers do and with such pressure on them, deserves my respect.

If I were a footballer playing a stadium of 70,000 people who paid to see me, I would make sure I was getting some of the money. Better the footballers get it than guys in suits.

And I say that as a hurler, a proud one at that. I feel no need to denigrate the most popular game in the world just because I play a different game.
    I say this as a regular AH user; Soccer is a game for pussies.
    Whiny little bitches who cry every time someone tackles them.

Pathetic.

If it's not meant a slur, why did you choose that word. Pathetic.

When I hear a man talking about "real men" I automatically assume that they're insecure about their own masculinity.

I say this as someone who may or may not be gay; Soccer is for pussies.

I'm glad you questioned my sexuality. It has opened my eyes to something I have been denying for most of my life.

For the next hour I will search google images for pictures of David Beckham and his wife, Jamie Redknapp and his wife, that really tall dude and his girlfriend and so forth.

I'll jack off to the women first, and then the men. If I can't get off to the women, then I'll come out of the closet.

Should I turn out to be gay, I'd just like to say this beforehand: Soccer is for whiny little bitches who whine every time someone tackles them. The players are little bitcheswho don't deserve 1/1,000th of the money they are paid for prancing around a couple of times a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

OisinT wrote: »
    Not accurate

Not entirely accurate. Homosexuality is not legal. meaning that you cannot be openly homosexual, but they do not jail homosexuals who practice acts privately in Qatar

Not actually true at all. Qatar recognised Israel until January 2009. They ended diplomatic relations because of the Israel/Gaza conflict in 2008. They still accept Israeli passports and currency.

Women can work, vote, drive and receive an education.

Qatar is one of the most liberal middle eastern countries. In fact the WTA women's tennis was there a few years ago and it went very well...

Seems to be a lot of misinformation and racial stereotyping in this thread.

So if I'm a Jewish Lesbian, can I walk down Main Street in Doha tomorrow in a bikini, drinking my bottle of buckfast while holding my girlfriend's hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 daytimetv

Well if corruption is the name of the game, why don't we start a petition to have Ireland bid for the 2026 finals? Our country is as corrupt as they come!

All we have to do is keep electing Fianna Fail to run the country as they will surely have no problem pouring vast amounts of our IMF money into the pockets of their developer buddies to build us some stadiums. Terminal 2 might actually come in useful, we'd fill thousands of empty hotels and after a 'dry' world cup in Qatar, the world's football fans would be delighted to come to Ireland and drink til their livers exploded.

Jesus...I think I've just solved Ireland's financial crisis :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OisinT wrote: »
    liberal middle eastern countries. ...

misinformation .........

Yeah AGREE more fairy tales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭BCC4LYFE

ill be 29 in 2018 that is ****in ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Cheers. As a Liverpool supporter I'd like access.

As a liverpool supporter you have no business in the soccer forum:p:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I say this as a regular AH user; Soccer is a game for pussies.
    Whiny little bitches who cry every time someone tackles them.

I say this as someone who may or may not be gay; Soccer is for pussies.

I'm glad you questioned my sexuality. It has opened my eyes to something I have been denying for most of my life.

For the next hour I will search google images for pictures of David Beckham and his wife, Jamie Redknapp and his wife, that really tall dude and his girlfriend and so forth.

I'll jack off to the women first, and then the men. If I can't get off to the women, then I'll come out of the closet.

Should I turn out to be gay, I'd just like to say this beforehand: Soccer is for whiny little bitches who whine every time someone tackles them. The players are little bitcheswho don't deserve 1/1,000th of the money they are paid for prancing around a couple of times a week.

Reread my post, I said you're probably insecure about your masculinity, not your sexuality. They're different. But your above post leaves me in no doubt that you're uncomfortable with your manhood and feel the need to slag off gay people to compensate. It's pretty pathetic for an intelligent person.

And you prefer hurling because the players play for nothing and you hate soccer because the players get millions. Were you not good at soccer or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭BCC4LYFE

lads doesnt matter hurling is ****in terrible soccer is ****...rugby is the real sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Keep you bitching out of the this thread you two. Take it to PM.
    This about discussion on the future FIFA World Cup hosting countries.

Terry, stop trying to get a rise out of people.
    hotmail.com, don't feed him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

BCC4LYFE wrote: »
    lads doesnt matter hurling is ****in terrible soccer is ****...rugby is the real sport

What? A bunch of lads running around trying to fist each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

There are only 4 or 5, not 100+

Umm....notsureifsrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

FatherTed wrote: »
    So if I'm a Jewish Lesbian, can I walk down Main Street in Doha tomorrow in a bikini, drinking my bottle of buckfast while holding my girlfriend's hand?

To be fair, you can't (may not) do that in Ireland either.

I'm still baffled how a country with 1.7 million people who has shown no prominence in world football could have been given this would cup. Its rather like Northern Ireland getting it or something.

enda1 wrote: »
    I'm still baffled...

Money?

How are people still baffled by these two decisions?

enda1 wrote: »
    To be fair, you can't (may not) do that in Ireland either.

I'm still baffled how a country with 1.7 million people who has shown no prominence in world football could have been given this would cup. Its rather like Northern Ireland getting it or something.

Think Arab World with a population of 360million which is football mad.

England is probably one of the least corrupt places on earth. A very decent and fair society. As for the war mongering taking down Saddam Hussein's regime and trying to bring stability to Afghanistan is certainly more justified then invading Georgia and trying to bully Ukraine into not joining the EU.

As for Qatar, 6 stadiums proposed for 1 city!
    Just too small, doesn't matter how much money they have.

Ah look, the same could be said for England getting it in 1966 - supporting and facilitating a jackboot, sectarian statelet 100 miles from Dublin!
    The Iraq/Afghanistan warmongering is still subject to debate and some would see it as along the lines of Russia's recent adventures.

I'd rather have England host it for one reason only - proximity to us.

And does it matter that there are 6 stadiums in one city in Qatar - if you go, more games to watch in a day!

I agree about FIFA being a cesspit of corruption though - so there is always the possibility the above winners could have got the nod aided by other than presentations (like all past recent hosts)

It's done now so onwards to Brasil '14, Rossiya '18 and Qatar '22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

The cops in Qatar will be busy.
    All the fans of the world in one city.
    Madness.

Rabies wrote: »
    Keep you bitching out of the this thread you two. Take it to PM.
    This about discussion on the future FIFA World Cup hosting countries.

Terry, stop trying to get a rise out of people.
    hotmail.com, don't feed him
    Had to do a double take there.

Duly noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

FatherTed wrote: »

No but if your a guy you can't walk around with your top off, drinking buckfast while holding your girlfriends hand so that's not an issue just targted to women.

Look Qatar is not liberal compared to Ireland. You won't have people falling around drunk in town at the sight of a bit of sun (which is nice) but they are progressing and are a hell of a lot more liberal than other countries such as Saudi.

The Emir is making the changes since he took power. He is the one that has allowed women to work, drive etc. and when the world cup comes around they'll be fully aware the eyes of the world will be on them and they'll make the necessary changes to accommodate the people coming to the world cup.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the lager louts though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

From the Qatar wiki page
    Alcohol is legal with a permit but it is not permitted to drink it in public

Women can legally drive in Qatar nice to know

WC doesn't occur during Ramadan does it? I think that's in October/November

And according the the human rights section of the page they do have sex workers.

oh and this too...Qatar has among the highest rates in the world for obesity, diabetes and genetic disorders...so it'll be like a really really hot america :-P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement