Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK crackdown on firms that con shoppers with bogus bargains

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Hurrah!

About time and hopefully we'll follow suit.

p.s. Sale ends sunday. All items 70% off :D
    (70% off is 70% off what we would absolutely love to charge. It bears no resemblance to any previous price or any price anywhere in the world, but as we make up the reccomended prices, this is our price.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

91011 wrote: »
    Hurrah!

About time and hopefully we'll follow suit.

p.s. Sale ends sunday. All items 70% off :D
    (70% off is 70% off what we would absolutely love to charge. It bears no resemblance to any previous price or any price anywhere in the world, but as we make up the reccomended prices, this is our price.)

Motion Picture in Dunlaoghaire were renowned for this. About two years ago they had a "closing down" sale notice on their shop front window and at the counter there was another notice looking for recruits. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

When are they closing all the HN stores and anything to do with DSG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Isn't there a permanent 50% sale on at Carpet Right? What is it 50% of? The carpet has been 'on sale' since the shop opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Every gym I've ever attempted to sign up for have a huge joining fee, up to three hundred sometimes

But I'm a lucky chap.
    As I'm offered a once in a lifetime, never to be repeated, greatest saving ever if I sign up that day

Has anyone in Ireland ever paid full joining fee? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I've only seen an example of this today.

A few months back I was looking for a set of car seat covers. Found some on a well known irish car accessories website for €50, but I couldn't justify them at the time as I was unemployed.

I'm on their mailing list as I've ordered from them before, and I got an email today saying 20% off all car seat covers. Great methinks, now I have a job and they'll only be €40, I'll get them. No, they're still €50, but now there is an RRP of €62.50 stuck in below the selling price.

At no point when I was looking at them a few months back was anything said on the page about an RRP of €62.50. Nor was anything on the updated page saying that they had previously been on sale at €50. Basically all they've done is add a fictitous RRP and claimed that there is now 20% off the covers to boost sales. Sneaky beggars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Motion Picture in Dunlaoghaire were renowned for this. About two years ago they had a "closing down" sale notice on their shop front window and at the counter there was another notice looking for recruits. :confused:

that's nothing, Blue Grass on Liffey Street had a 10 year closing down sale

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

There's a shop we go to only a couple of times a year...but for the last 4 years, at least, they've had massive "Closing Down Sale" signs all over the windows & throughout the store. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I despise the "Up to 80% Off" claim when realistically, that's ONE item that's HUGELY overpriced, and they only had a handful of them in stock.

Everything else in store is 10% - 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

basquille wrote: »
    I despise the "Up to 80% Off" claim when realistically, that's ONE item that's HUGELY overpriced, and they only had a handful of them in stock.

Everything else in store is 10% - 20% off.

Exactly, all they have to do is put a discount on 'selected items' and they can legally advertise a discount sale. Rotating which items they discount means they can have all year sales. Perfectly legal.

Also, psychology comes into play too; people have become accustomed to associating the word "Sale" with getting a discount. Many shops advertise "Sale on now" and the likes, but people automatically assume that means discounts despite none of the signs claim any discounts are offered. All the shop is saying is they're open for sales, which afterall is the function of a shop. Also perfectly legal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement