Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swans on the Canal in the Snow

Options
  • 02-12-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone seen the swans on the canal near Harold's Cross bridge being fed very often over the past few days?

On the way to work this morning I brought bread and broke up the slices and was throwing them in but the seagulls ate it all before the swans could get to it. I'm going to head down later tonight when the snow dies down a bit because I don't actually live very close by. I'm worried that they're not being fed by many people but my OH says all the people who live on the canal there will be feeding them.

If anyone has seen them being fed regularly enough there can you post? I'm worried about them!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Fed them about an hour ago :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Fed them about an hour ago :-)

Yaaaaay! :D Thanks!

Were there other people there feeding them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

cosmic wrote: »
    Yaaaaay! :D Thanks!

Were there other people there feeding them too?

There were. They've been well looked after. A lot of people making the efforst to get out and feed them because of the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Plenty of people have been feeding them but they're eating everything they get. Maybe they need more!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭eerwegtweg

Don't forget that white bread is not good for the swans though. Give them brown bread if you are giving bread at all - but even better is leafy green vegetables!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Even better, let them eat cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,595 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Nolanger wrote: »

Or cheese...........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Nolanger wrote: »

This is Ireland. Let them eat free EU cheese :D

Fair play for feeding the swans though.

Edit: too late

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Awh! How kind! :)

Now I want to feed them!

There were. They've been well looked after. A lot of people making the efforst to get out and feed them because of the snow.
    Plenty of people have been feeding them but they're eating everything they get. Maybe they need more!

Great! Well I'm heading down after my dinner to give them their dinner!
    eerwegtweg wrote: »
    Don't forget that white bread is not good for the swans though. Give them brown bread if you are giving bread at all - but even better is leafy green vegetables!

I normally give them the fancy seedy brown bread. This baffles my OH but how and ever!
    Saaron wrote: »
    Now I want to feed them!

Do! :)

• Advertisement

Just back from feeding them now. The poor little things wolfed down the bread.

There were loads of people taking photos but no one else feeding them (at the time that we were there).

If anyone else is going down I'd recommend feeding them from the south side of the canal (the one with the high bank) because otherwise they climb out onto the grass and harrass you. A load of them were chasing us around and all I could think was that they were all going to break my arms!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I've seen them being fed several times. I have no idea what they were being fed though as I was on the other side of the canal and wouldn't go near a swan for a bet. I don't know how people can go right up to swans like that, I'd rather hug a tiger!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

well done to all feeders, now go feed some wild homeless humans too for a moral win win ;)

I was down there again today giving them a few loaves of bread and a bag of lettuice. There were two other people there feeding them. It looks like they're being looked after ok. This makes me happy :)

Advertisement