Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers - handwashing?

Options
  • 02-12-2010 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have been to two butchers in the last few days and neither washed their hands or wore gloves and both handled my money (and presumably handled their previous customers money prior to my meat). Both very reputable and long established Dublin butchers. I'd much prefer to support my local butcher but find this totally unacceptable.

Other than supermarket butchers and Fallon and Byrne is this the norm?. Am I just too fussy?Any recommendations for hygenic butchers?

While I'm complaining I might as well note that both butchers gave me free bags - no plastic bag tax!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

BSHAC wrote: »
    I have been to two butchers in the last few days and neither washed their hands or wore gloves and both handled my money (and presumably handled their previous customers money prior to my meat). Both very reputable and long established Dublin butchers. I'd much prefer to support my local butcher but find this totally unacceptable.

Other than supermarket butchers and Fallon and Byrne is this the norm?. Am I just too fussy?Any recommendations for hygenic butchers?

While I'm complaining I might as well note that both butchers gave me free bags - no plastic bag tax!

Just for the plastic bag question anyway. They're exceptions. They do not have to charge. Same with fish mongers, filling with ice I think, Pick and mix, not really sure of the definites but exceptions are definitley there.

Id get over the handling of money etc.... a bit ridiculous. About 30% of currency have traces of drugs and an even higher percentage have feacal matter. Or you could try what this guy does:D

bubbleBoy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

BSHAC wrote: »
    I remember previously, the butchers would handle the meat, package pass to the customers etc, and would wear gloves or wash hands (which is fine if they aren't handling anything else) and the customer would pay a different person at a different window.
    Guess this has fallen out of practise along with the reason why.
    eurokev wrote: »
    Id get over the handling of money etc.... a bit ridiculous. About 30% of currency have traces of drugs and an even higher percentage have feacal matter.

I'm gonna call bullsh*t on that one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's a poor practice alright even though you are going to be cooking the meat. There's nothing stopping them using the bag that they're filling the meat into to handle the meat.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I'm gonna call bullsh*t on that one

Certainly not bull I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Certainly not bull I'm afraid.
    Yes, its human!

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2001/en/si/0605.html
    5. The following classes of plastic bags are excepted from the definition of a plastic bag -

(a) plastic bags solely used to contain-

(i) fresh fish and fresh fish products,

(ii) fresh meat and fresh meat products, or

(iii) fresh poultry and fresh poultry products

provided that such bags are not greater in dimension than 225mm in width (exclusive of any gussets), by 345mm in depth (inclusive of any gussets), by 450mm in length, (inclusive of any handles);

(b) plastic bags solely used to contain the products referred to in paragraph (a) where such products are contained in packaging, (including a bag), provided that such plastic bags are not greater in dimension than the dimensions referred to in paragraph (a);

(c) plastic bags solely used to contain-

(i) fruit, nuts or vegetables,

(ii) confectionery,

(iii) dairy products,

(iv) cooked food, whether cold or hot, or

(v) ice

provided that such products are not otherwise contained in packaging and where such bags are not greater in dimension than the dimensions referred to in paragraph (a);

(d) plastic bags used to contain goods or products sold:

(i) on board a ship or aircraft used for carrying passengers for reward, or

(ii) in an area of a port or airport to which intending passengers are denied access unless in possession of a valid ticket or boarding card, for the purposes of carrying the goods on board the ship or aircraft referred to in subparagraph (i);

(e) plastic bags designed for re-use, which are used to contain goods or products and which are sold to customers for a sum of not less than 70 cent each.

In Mick Doyles on the bottom floor of dun laoghaire shopping centre they have a woman at a till to handle the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think you're worrying too much. Any germs or bacteria will get well killed when you cook the meat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Blisterman wrote: »
    I think you're worrying too much. Any germs or bacteria will get well killed when you cook the meat.

Yeah but as a result you're handling money (your change) with traces of raw meat. Not good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

money isn't that clean anyway and you should be washing your hands after handling it too.

Advertisement