Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert music 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

I think our melody writing is based on classical music rules, so they're fairly strict...unlike modern day composers, barry for example..
    I don't base mine on chord structures, I base bar 5 and 13 on bar 1, bar6 and 14 on bar 2 ,,etc...and i seem to do pretty well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BillabongMad

Ahh, that's not too bad then!
    She explains everything, course there is a limit to explain why you can't do something specifically - It'd just clog up the notes. There are set Rules in Melody writing, follow said rules and you'll be fine. If you don't follow the rules you don't get the marks, even if the melody sounds fine when played you will not get the marks. The examiner is not necessarily play the melody.
    She gives you everything you need and if there's an easy way to do it she'll have it in there. For instance, she has a set structure for melody writing. Chord progression in Harmonies are different, you just need to do loads, some work some don't.
    Your teacher is kinda right, you have to do x, y and z because they're the rules. It's what makes melodies sound good!
    As for the one word answers it really depends on the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Musicboi

I think i'll go with those. It sounds so much better then what we're actually doing in class :P grr the rules are so constricting but, i supoose, they need to be there.

Thanks for all your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DJC Barry

Can anyone tell me do you have to decide before LC music practical on level you are taking.Im doing Higher Elective in performing (one performance 6 songs on electric guitar)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BillabongMad

Are you thinking of dropping to ordinary for the theory side? Like with all the other exams - You can change on the day, however, I'm not sure how this works with your practical, I can only presume you keep the same mark, but your result would be printed Ordinary Level due to the paper side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 DunnoWho

Cydoniac wrote: »
    My main problem with the music paper is composition. I'm very open-minded with music and find it ridiculously hard to stick within the rules. They feel so closed and silly. I'm kind of worried really because I still can't do a good composition and the rest of the paper is absolutely fine.
    Cydoniac i know exactly how you feel!
    being a self-taught musician is definitely a disadvantage in Leaving Cert music (IMHO), you basically have to re-learn how to do everything you subconciously know, but with a million and one rules.

I'm in 5th year now and i'm really regretting taking music, the teacher is fine but i'm constantly lost in class, it just doesn't "click" with me. It's extremely frustrating and it really has me questioning my ability, Music has gone from my most loved subject to my most hated! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AdamH95

Really struggling to think of some practical pieces. Any ideas anyone for good guitar/singing pieces?

Advertisement