Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

LCD vs Plasma for 360 gaming

• 02-12-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I posted this already in the home entertainment general thread already and got no reply so since im gonna be using the tv for my xbox mainly i said id try here.
    I want to get a new tv for gaming after christmas, my current tv is 32 inchs which seems so small these days. A 40 0r 42 inch tv is what im lookin to invest in but cant decide on a plasma or lcd. Plasmas seem to be cheaper and from what i read have better picture quailty but is image burning still a big deal these days? My current tv is a samsung 32inch lcd i have it over 3 years and its still as good as the day i got it and it gets bout 10 hours of use most days between me and my brother. So im a bit of a samsung fanboy but iv been hearing good things bout lg alot. Any advice or help is welcome. Or anyone with personal experience with a brand and model would be very helpful, thankssmile.gif
    user_online.gifreport.gif quote.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Plasma "Imaging Burning" is an issue relating to images being static for so long that they remain on the screen. I'm talking about leaving TVs on the same image for several hours at a time. If you're using the TV for xbox gaming this shouldn't be an issue. Most common plasma burn occur in TVs like Banks who leave Sky news on all day when the ticker burns into the screen, airport screens that list departures/arrivals etc.

LCD TVs are fine, they don't suffer from burn in and if you go for a remotely modern model it'll work just fine for xbox gaming. Personally I'm using a 42PFL8404H which is a Philips 42" LCD.

There are many reasons why the issue of burn-in should never arise for the average home user, not too many reasons why it should apart from laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Burnt in Images has been addressed with newer Plasmas, it's no longer much of an issue.

I've also heard Plasmas have richer colours. I'm no tv expert in fairnes though, very happy with my LCD TV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Also response times are never an issue with Plasma, although modern LCDs are now generally very good in this regard as well (as a rough rule of thumb it is generally accepted that iy should be on or under about 8ms or so for gaming).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've a nice 42 inch Panasonic G10 plasma and it's brilliant for gaming. No image burn that I've ever noticed either..I guess it's a question of price really. I'd get an LED next time though as Plasmas are simply too heavy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LG would be considered right up their on a par with Samsung certainly in the computer monitor world.

Philips TV are also good for gaming on and generally reasonably priced, I have a 32" myself that I am very happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I have a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma and its brilliant for gaming. The difference between it and the 32" Phillips LCD I had previously is astonishing.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This is exactly what you want. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

gizmo wrote: »

+1. 600HZ makes for crystal clear fast moving images with no motion blur.

gizmo wrote: »

Nice, that makes me want a bigger appartment :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Well I've my 42G10 in my bedroom and it's perfect :D
    Do it !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement