Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice

Options
  • 02-12-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

This may sound pretty ridiculous, but does anyone have any particular method for getting themselves to practice their respective instrument(s)?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Do you mean to motivate yourself to practice? Personally I think you're wasting your time if you're doing something you don't enjoy or feel like it's a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Maybe I'm fooling myself but I love the music. I'm learning the Harp and I love the instrument. I've invested over a year into learning the instrument and I'm not giving it up.

I suppose I'm asking do people with a lifetime of experience than I do ever have problems just sitting down and playing a tune for the sake of playing a tune?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Well I only have a few years of experience. At home I tend to only play tunes I'm not up to scratch on and never bother with the ones I can play properly, cause I'd be playing them in the pub anyway. So I suppose I don't play a tune for the sake of it at home, unless I want to change something in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Scráib wrote: »
    Maybe I'm fooling myself but I love the music. I'm learning the Harp and I love the instrument. I've invested over a year into learning the instrument and I'm not giving it up.

I suppose I'm asking do people with a lifetime of experience than I do ever have problems just sitting down and playing a tune for the sake of playing a tune?

Yes. I've been playing for 12 years or so now and study music in college and I still find practice tedious sometimes.

I find what works best for me is setting up a routine. When I practice I start off with tone & breathing exercises. Then if I have new tunes to learn I'll go through the different methods I have for doing that. If I don't have anything new to learn but just want to practice then I would pick a set of tunes (either ones I know well or ones I might not be too great with) and play through them. Then I'd have a listen to a recording of someone else playing them. (In my case it's usually Matt Molloy as I'm a flute player :)) Then I'd play the tunes again trying to throw in different variations, trying to imitate a certain style, trying new things, etc. That's how I stop myself getting bored.

Advertisement