Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Gil Scott-Heron died yesterday
    He was incredible at last year's EP. He recently collaborated with Jamie XX on "We're New Here". It's pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

He was one of the highlights of last year's EP for me too. Myself and a friend just wandered in to check him out while everyone was at Leftfield & we were blown away by him. It's sad to hear the news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I doubt the big names have all been announced yet. Undoubtedly they went for a very top heavy announcement to try and get a jump on Oxegen but there'll be plenty of well-known bands to be announced in the coming months. I seem to remember July as being a big month for announcements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I wouldn't imagine that there's any more big names to be announced.

It's much tougher to sell tickets these days and there is no way you'd be holding back on some "decision making" acts until now with only 3 months to go.

I'm sure there'll be a few smaller acts that no doubt will please some people but I think you're seeing the bulk of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 wavey1990

Anybody think Odd Future could be added? There playing a show in Northern Ireland just before it so might make sense... not sure if they're a picnic type band but they're playing alot of festivals this Summer. I know they're playing Oxegen but really don't want to go there again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

Anyone think Amanda Palmer will play? She's on her European tour at the time and she has date in London on the 2nd and on the 5th, making her free for the Sat and Sun of EP :D She'd really fit EP well!

Will many more be announced anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 totoro_kid

Hey there,

I was at EP last year and stayed in the Tangerine Fields. They were ok but definitely not worth the money we spend on them.

We are going back this year and are looking at Tipis/Yurts(http://www.hearthworks.co.uk/) and podpads (http://www.podpads.com/book-now-details.asp?festival_id=15) . The prices aren't too bad and they certainly seem to be better value than the tangerine fields.

I'm wondering if anybody has stayed in any of the alternative camping options before and what would they recommend?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

To tell ya the truth this will probably get moved to the bigger EP thread, sorry I cant help you with your query but I found it no problem just camping at the Hendrix campsite myself.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

Stayed in Podpads a few years ago and found it very good. My wife hates camping so she was happy to have a solid structure and a shelf. You also get access to the late bar, complimentary tea/coffe etc.
    I thought if was a bit expensive myself but if you want more comfort its great. They also ask for a €50 deposit which is refundable but when you are looking for it back they suggest giving it to charity.
    You'd think that they could easily afford to give some of the €520 you paid to charity rather than trying to give the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    I know it won't happen but Two Door Cinema Club would be unreal.

God I hope they don't play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

daveyeh wrote: »
    God I hope they don't play.

Yeah, because it would have a huge impact on your life if they did:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Yeah, because it would have a huge impact on your life if they did:rolleyes:

Massive! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Has anybody ever done the volunteering for a weekend ticket? In particular the advance volunteering. Is it worth it for the free ticket?

http://electricpicnic.ie/volunteer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I loved it. Not a doss like, but it's a lot of fun and a cool new perspective on the festival.

The only thing I would say is this - if you're given an instruction, make sure you're absolutely clear on absolutely everything about it, before yo start workYou'll probably be teamed up with somebody, but to a large extent you're sort of on your own out there, so it's up to you to equip yourself with all the stuff you need to know first. Times, locations, contacts, who's going to relieve you, everything. Ask everything then, when you're being briefed, because it can be hard to pin somebody down again and find an answer, once you're actually at your post or doing your thing.

The folks training you in might be pushed for time, or it simply might not occur to them that you're not rigorously familiar with the layout and workings of a festival site, so make sure and be as informed as you possibly can be before a possibly issue arises. Find out who you need to contact if there's a problem, and how you should contact them.

That's pretty much the only issue I had though, and after the first day, it was grand. Like I say though, I loved it.

EDIT:

Oh, and you might get a walkie talkie, but if not, figure out who the nearest walkie-bearer to you is, and keep as close an eye on them as you can. They are your lifeline. Bring your phone and get contact numbers just in case, but coverage can be patchy and people can be busy, so keep it as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Beekay wrote: »
    Has anybody ever done the volunteering for a weekend ticket? In particular the advance volunteering. Is it worth it for the free ticket?

http://electricpicnic.ie/volunteer

Ive been trying to get volunteering with EP since the middle of May, apparently they are full up with them, no harm though to keep trying, as some will opt out of it nearer the time. The only thing I dont like about it is that you wont get your bond back on Sunday when you complete your shifts, they will post it on to you a week or two later, yet other people get free into the festival for doing damn all apart from knowing someone.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Anyone do the fundraise and cycle last year?

Any good ideas for fundraising? I think its 500 euro to be raised

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Anyone do the fundraise and cycle last year?

Any good ideas for fundraising? I think its 500 euro to be raised

Haven't done it last year but doing it this year! Only started collecting money the other day and have €160 raised so far! Have a table quiz as a plan B but might do it anyway!

I am coming to Dublin the night before with my Bike and staying in Christchurch. Anyone have any idea how I can get myself and my bike to Tallaght (where we depart) at 7 on a fri morning??? Has organisers in the past organised transportation from city centre to tallaght in the past?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

neaideabh wrote: »
    I am coming to Dublin the night before with my Bike and staying in Christchurch. Anyone have any idea how I can get myself and my bike to Tallaght (where we depart) at 7 on a fri morning??? Has organisers in the past organised transportation from city centre to tallaght in the past?

Luas?

lordgoat wrote: »
    Luas?

Thought about that but don't think bikes are allowed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

neaideabh wrote: »

cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

from ep facebook
    "The Rapture; Warpaint; James Blake; James Vincent McMorrow; Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes; Clap Your Hands Say Yeah; The Unthanks; John Grant; Gemma Hayes; The Japanese Popstars; The Lost Brothers; Funeral Suits are all heading to Laois this September..."

glad to see jap popstars again also the unthanks are a welcome addition.

Last year in this thread a EP playlist was drawn up by a member any idea who it was or if one this year will be around, i found myself playing it in car alot and still do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

recyclops wrote: »
    from ep facebook
    "The Rapture; Warpaint; James Blake; James Vincent McMorrow; Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes; Clap Your Hands Say Yeah; The Unthanks; John Grant; Gemma Hayes; The Japanese Popstars; The Lost Brothers; Funeral Suits are all heading to Laois this September..."

glad to see jap popstars again also the unthanks are a welcome addition.

Last year in this thread a EP playlist was drawn up by a member any idea who it was or if one this year will be around, i found myself playing it in car alot and still do

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

So happy Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are playing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Great additions!

The Rapture, James Vincent McMorrow, Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros and Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah will be must sees!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

a few more additions that will be going on the "to-see" list, good stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Not to be a complete hipster wannabe, but I suspect the line up is a little ahead of the trends. It's a pretty great lineup, it's just that the names aren't huge. Folks like Twin Shadow aren't big yet, but I suspect they will be shortly.

I know what you're saying but isn't the line-up like that every year? The fact that acts aren't that well known doesn't bother me that much, as long as I like them. I've listened to everyone that's been announced so far & of those I haven't heard of before there's not that many that I think are great. I do like the Twin Shadow album alright, there's 3 or 4 great songs on it, but I don't see him becoming that big. He is good though.

Last year had better 'unknowns' for me personally.

recyclops wrote: »
    from ep facebook

Not much in that either for me but I glad everyone else seems happy with it :)
    While I do like listening to new music and finding stuff I like, I wish they would add more acts that I already know & like.
    My favourite of those is probably James Blake. He played here a few months back didn't he? What's he like live?

EP & End of the Road have about 15 acts in common now. Hopefully Wild Beasts & Austra will be added as well.

Got an email from EP saying that MyHab have gone into insolvency and that anyone who has booked with them should contact MyHab directly.
    They've pulled out of Glastonbury. Full story here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Got an email from EP saying that MyHab have gone into insolvency and that anyone who has booked with them should contact MyHab directly.
    They've pulled out of Glastonbury. Full story here

Glastonbury are covering anyone that booked a MyHab's losses by sorting out accommodation for them at their own expense.

POD and Aikens say "claims for refunds or compensation should be made directly to MyHab Ltd"

No surprises there.

Advertisement