Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I see the alcohol choice has been broadened slightly, theres going to be a pop up restuarant & wine bar called Crackbird at this years fest http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2011/0718/1224300879420.html I have to admit I love the Picnic but ever since they stopped selling Guinness after the 2007 event its made me less fond of the event, there should be a better choice rather than lager, lager and MORE lager, give the B & S back their alcoholic freedom, real ales, organic cider, microbrewries. Also abolish that stupid rule after the 10.30 bar closing where stewards tell the punter that they have to finish their cans before they can enter one of the marquees.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilNiall

I'd love to see The Streets added. Every chance this is their last year & would like to see them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

LilNiall wrote: »
    I'd love to see The Streets added. Every chance this is their last year & would like to see them live.

i can see this happening.

Bombay Bicycle Club would be great to see too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Explicitx

Great Gig can't wait for it Arcade Fire as a head lining act, just entered a comp for this hopefully I can snag a few tickets. Being a bit hopeful there but skimped after oxegen http://bit.ly/q6EMhZ thats the link if any one cares to try there luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Underworld, Bob Geldof, M Ward, I am Kloot, Foster the People, Republic of Loose, The Black Angels, Everthing Everything, Niki and the Dove, Rubberbandits, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Donal Dineens Parish, Sharon Corr and Ghost Estates added to the lineup

Meh. Very disappointed with that announcement, was expecting something big

Although I do love that Pumped Up Kicks song by Foster the People :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Not exactly fantastic additions. Underworld should be good. We knew the Rubberbandits were playing already.

Does Bob Geldof play Boomtown Rats stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Bit underwhelmed by that announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Very frustrating.. More acts announced and maybe underworld is the only one id like to see..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

nothing that i'd be mad about there, but would go see TPOBPAH, Everything Everything, and Underworld.
    heard Foster the People are supposed to be alright, like that song too.

never really properly listened to I Am Kloot, or M.Ward, so should really check them out before it.

bob geldof and sharon corr :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

bob geldof and sharon corr :confused:

Bit bemused by that too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

They're going to need to add at least one or two more big acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    They're going to need to add at least one or two more big acts.

They have said ... more additions to follow

Underworld is a great addition - amazing show a couple of years ago.

Primal Scream and Bjork would top it off nicely - and would surely guarantee a sell-out. And they should bring back Chic while they are at it! What a show they put on last time

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Curve Music

I liked the line up after the first wave of announcements, I'm a massive Interpol fan though.

Foster the People and The Pains of Being Pure at Heart are two good additions and Everything Everything are fandabbadoozie live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

keith_d99 wrote: »
    And they should bring back Chic while they are at it! What a show they put on last time

One of my top ten EVER gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    Not exactly fantastic additions. Underworld should be good. We knew the Rubberbandits were playing already.

Does Bob Geldof play Boomtown Rats stuff?

No it'll be spoken word apparently. I don't know why anyone would want to see Geldof do spoken word...

Jako8 wrote: »
    No it'll be spoken word apparently. I don't know why anyone would want to see Geldof do spoken word...

Singing as well...

From the EP mailout
    One of the world’s most distinguished Irishmen and music legend, BOB GELDOF, will be treating picnicers to not only his first ever music performance at the Picnic but also to an appearance at our Spoken Word area. The verbose singer, is set to perform tracks from his extensive back catalogue including memorable hits from his Boomtown Rats era as well as music from his latest critically acclaimed album ‘How To Compose Popular Songs That Will Sell.’ The album is his first in over 9 years and has already been declared ‘Album of the Year’ by BBC’s veteran DJ Bob Harris. Renowned for speaking his mind, the Picnic could not hope for a more thought provoking guest at the Spoken Word area. Having already been invited to be SXSW key note speaker and also given an unforgettable emotionally charged talk at this year’s Hay Festival, picnicers may well see another side to his didactic character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Might go now seeing that Underworld are playing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Might go now seeing that Underworld are playing.....

they were excellent two years ago, the usual classics. I'm not big into their Barking album but their live stuff is always worth a visit.

they were excellent two years ago, the usual classics. I'm not big into their Barking album but their live stuff is always worth a visit.

I read somewhere during the week that they're doing a project with Danny Boyle (Trainspotting), think it's a stage version of Frankenstein. They're due to release some material from this in the coming year. They might include some in their set but they're always reliable for throwing out the classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Think Barking was due for release last time but they didn't play any off it.
    Karl Hyde seemed genuinely blown away by crowd reaction to their performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Edgar Eats

Sharon Corr is a big addition in fairness.

maybe Jim will come along and fill a guest lecturer slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Think Barking was due for release last time but they didn't play any off it.
    Karl Hyde seemed genuinely blown away by crowd reaction to their performance.

Playing in the tent helped. The place was jammed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Underworld a good addition. Republic of Loose are OK. As for the rest, a big "meh". Is this going to be that type of thing where we wait and wait for "the big announcement" and it never comes?

Still, worth going for AF, The Vaccines, Chem Bros., Pulp, Austra and a few others, but wouldn't mind one more biggish act to top it off.... :\

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

Edgar Eats wrote: »
    Sharon Corr is a big addition in fairness.

maybe Jim will come along and fill a guest lecturer slot.

WITHDRAW!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

4 of my favourite bands ever are playing it so I'm happy no matter who they add really. Tho one more good headliner type act would be great. The Charlatans, Clap your hands say yeah, the rapture and Midlake are doing it for me. Plus PJ Harvey, Arcade fire, and for the bit of craic you've got Toots and the maytals and a bit of Pulp - lav it!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BananaR

And they should bring back Chic while they are at it! What a show they put on last time

Nile Rodgers fighting cancer unfortunately! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Primal scream playing in Ibiza on the friday...i think we can be fairly certain that they will not make it back for the picnic

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=124

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Primal scream playing in Ibiza on the friday...i think we can be fairly certain that they will not make it back for the picnic

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Well why dont you get them to cancel Ibiza and get them to play EP instead then.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Well why dont you get them to cancel Ibiza and get them to play EP instead then.

why don't you.... DO ONE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Bowlardo wrote: »
    why don't you.... DO ONE!

why don't you?:rolleyes:

Advertisement