Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yes indeed the some big news coming out of Stradbally includes the news that The Vaccines are to pull out of the festival due to illness. Must not have gotten their inoculations before the tour. Hopefully there is a cure out there soon to get them back on the road.

Killing Joke also won’t be making to to Stradbally so you guys can write both them bands off your must see acts. However it’s not all bad news today. The Salty Dog stage, the faded red ship wreck of a stage hidden amongst the woods of Electric Picnic will play host to a range of awesome bands across the weekend.

Ham Sandwich will be the must see act for me over there. Lord knows what fashion podge can make work with a pirate ship at his disposal. Jerry Fish and his mudbug club will be playing to as will Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros which should make for an interesting spectacle space wise on the deck.

Rubber Bandits will be hosting a Dirty Rave and Might Stef will be closing up shop at the ship on the Sunday. It’s all rather awesome.

http://www.goldenplec.com/2011/08/22/electric-picnic-2011-vaccines-and-killing-joke-pull-out-as-salty-dog-stage-announces-lineup/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

catch--22 wrote: »
    Line up andf stage times for the Salty Dog Stage in the woods is out here

Edward Sharpe play on the Friday at 23.45 which I reckon is a brilliant stage for them to be on! I'm guessing they will be doing a bigger stage elsewhere on the Friday evening and this is an extra gig.

presumably the salty dog stage will be moved this year, or else a few of those acts will also be playing on other stages too? Ham Sandwich get pretty good crowds these days, much bigger than would be able to fit at the salty dog stage if last year is anything to go by...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

presumably the salty dog stage will be moved this year, or else a few of those acts will also be playing on other stages too? Ham Sandwich get pretty good crowds these days, much bigger than would be able to fit at the salty dog stage if last year is anything to go by...

Well Ham Sandwich are playing at 22.15 on the Saturday ... so that could be close to clashing with Arcade Fire which might reduce the crowd. I reckon Edward Sharpe will play one of the larger tents on the Friday evening and then play Salty Dog that night.

Can't see them moving the boat anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

First time (potentially) going to the Picnic. Took the Friday and Monday off and have a few mates going, so I said why not. Been a good few years since I did anything like this, so this thread has been helpful in me learning what to expect and what to bring etc.

Am i right in thinking the EP is a lot different to Oxygen etc (few scumbags, more chilled out, older crowd)? Im 29 and dont fancy spending my weekend in and around 16 year old scobes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

First time (potentially) going to the Picnic. Took the Friday and Monday off and have a few mates going, so I said why not. Been a good few years since I did anything like this, so this thread has been helpful in me learning what to expect and what to bring etc.

Am i right in thinking the EP is a lot different to Oxygen etc (few scumbags, more chilled out, older crowd)? Im 29 and dont fancy spending my weekend in and around 16 year old scobes

Yea its the opposite of Oxegen in almost every single way except for the rip off prices of tickets. The crowd is generally chilled out, no one thrashing tents etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

from the vaccines fb page yesterday:

''hi guys. just to say that the dr has given me some pretty strong medication to help my throat and until i see him again next week, please assume we are playing everything. to confirm - we will be at reading and leeds and rock en seine this weekend and we will be playing london and edinburgh. don't know much more than that until i see him again. thanks for your support and patience x''

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

beartooth wrote: »
    from the vaccines fb page yesterday:

''hi guys. just to say that the dr has given me some pretty strong medication to help my throat and until i see him again next week, please assume we are playing everything. to confirm - we will be at reading and leeds and rock en seine this weekend and we will be playing london and edinburgh. don't know much more than that until i see him again. thanks for your support and patience x''

I was just about to post this. Very confusing altogether. The EP website still includes Vaccines in the music acts section.

http://electricpicnic.ie/lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

threein99 wrote: »
    Yea its the opposite of Oxegen in almost every single way except for the rip off prices of tickets. The crowd is generally chilled out, no one thrashing tents etc etc

Unfortuatley EP still has problems with scum jumping the fence and robbing tents etc. It's not as wide spread or obvious as Oxegen but it still happens. Do not take anything that you can't afford to lose. If you do, use the gig lockers, if you don't use the gigs lockers and get stuff robbed, tough **** Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I'd be lying if I said I know more than a third, maybe a quarter of the acts they have lined up. Im not fussy about anything like that, and there seems to be enough acts there that i am interested in seeing. i am mainly goin just to have a laugh and do something different over a weekend. plus a few friends have said its a good place for birds ;).

any tips for a complete EP novice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Additional note: Due to unforeseen circumstances Killing Joke and The Vaccines have had to pull out of EP 2011.

That is from the EP website.
    http://electricpicnic.ie/inner.php?locID=113009

Strange how The Vaccines themselves are saying they're not sure yet but EP have confirmed they've pulled out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

I'd be lying if I said I know more than a third, maybe a quarter of the acts they have lined up. Im not fussy about anything like that, and there seems to be enough acts there that i am interested in seeing. i am mainly goin just to have a laugh and do something different over a weekend. plus a few friends have said its a good place for birds ;).

any tips for a complete EP novice?

honestly you could spend the entire weekend down there and not see a single band and still have one of the best weekends of your life.

Print off lots of maps and timetables and have them waterproof pouches. very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

The Vaccines are playing Reading and Leeds this weekend and were on Radio 1s live lounge this morning, can't be his throat making them pull out of EP then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

mutley18 wrote: »
    The Vaccines are playing Reading and Leeds this weekend and were on Radio 1s live lounge this morning, can't be his throat making them pull out of EP then?!

Also playing a gig in London tonight. Something very dodgy going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

Also playing a gig in London tonight. Something very dodgy going on here.

Probably akin to professional footballers getting a "knock" in-around international time because they couldn't be bothered!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

No sign of the silent disco on the EP website.
    I take it, that it won't be there this year so?

Found this on the EP fourm http://www.laois.ie/media/Media,7169,en.pdf

Looks like silent disco will be there dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

How do you guys recommend getting to the picnic?

Irish rail looks the handiest, but is the shuttle bus from the train station free?

Past picnic attendees let me know whats the best! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Can I be a little bit cheeky and ask for some help to get me and my friend down?

All you would have to do is give me one little like on the photo in this link?

photo.php?fbid=10150298375379168&set=a.10150298371559168.352768.85480429167&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Does anyone remember if the timetable was leaked early last year? I really wish they'd release it at least a week beforehand so that you can plan who you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

done :) nice photo

Does anyone remember if the timetable was leaked early last year? I really wish they'd release it at least a week beforehand so that you can plan who you want to see.

It will get leaked, if not released officially at some point. I remember having a "crew only" PDF on my laptop the week before in 08.

• Advertisement

Fi H wrote: »
    done :) nice photo

thanks, tell your friends! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Hey people - Just a couple of questions.

I go to picnic every year but have always arrived late on Friday due to work, of course this year I am unemployed :( but that means I can go down early :) for a change. So - how early should I go down - is there a chance that I will get a good parking spot, closer to the gig, the earlier I go - say I arrive at EP for 8 o clock? Or would I have to be earlier?

Also wondering are Gazebos still allowed - I didn't see any last year so thought they might have been banned?

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

big_show wrote: »
    How do you guys recommend getting to the picnic?

Irish rail looks the handiest, but is the shuttle bus from the train station free?

Past picnic attendees let me know whats the best! :)

It's five euro for the shuttle bus - we were told 3 euro but he asked for five. Some of the bus drivers are chancers so don't be afraid to question them!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

I'm unsure of the site layout, but my girlfriend and I need something sorted with our tickets that requires we only enter through the Abbeyleix entrance ("gate 1"). Does anyone know where this is, or how easy it is to get to without a car? (it could well be the main entrance!)

Alternatively, does anyone who has space feel like offerin a lift to a friendly couple who will chip in for petrol etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

^^^ That was the main entrance last year. Probably the same this year.
    No layout map for this year yet. More than likely it will be next week before it's released.

I'm sure if you're getting dropped off by bus (or whatever) that it'll close enough to gate 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭rothai

pyrogenxx wrote: »
    Hi all,
    we've been trying to buy 2 campervan tickets at a ticketmaster outlet and they've told us they're only available online. When trying to get them from the ticket master website, a message popped up saying: not available online. We called ticket master and they said the campervan tickets are currently not available.

Anyone got any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

campervan tickets sell out as soon as the go on sale, sorry dude

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Arcadia are back and bringing their Afterburner structure to
    Electric Picnic 2011
    Arcadia will throw its golden flames 8 metres high into the Irish countryside once the sun starts to set at Stradbally Hall!!

The Afterburner DJ booth.

The central structure shoots giant 30ft flame balls from its spire and 12 surrounding lamppost tree sculptures, along with high-powered lighting, 40K of Thumping Sound, all in time with the music played by a stellar line up of Cutting edge Dj's and Live acts!!

Arcadia will blow the lid off The Electric Picnic 2011

Also back to Arcadia are The Lords Of Lightning!
    The maddest human performance with 4 million volts arcing between their brains.

Your Firestarters for the weekend!!

FRIDAY

20:00-21:30 DJ Jonny Boy

21:30-22:30 Dj Danni rrell

22:30-0:00 ASBO DISCO

0:00-00:45 SLAMBOREE & LORDS OF LIGHTINING

00:45 -02:30 SPITLOOP

02:30-04:00 RUN TINGZ CRU FT BLACKOUT JA

04:00 - LORDS OF LIGHTINING

SATURDAY

20:00-21:30 WORRIES OUTERNATIONAL Mikey Soro & Rankin Rez

21:30-22:30 Malcolm funktion

22:30-0:00 LECTROSOUL Warren K & Rocky

00:45 -02:30 FREEFALL COLLECTIVE

02:30-04:00 -WONKA-VISION

LORDS OF LIGHTINING

SUNDAY

20:00-21:30 ASBO DISCO

21:30-23:00 Dj FEEAR -APE MUSIC- Mike From Slamboree

23:00-0:00 ARVEENE & MISK

00:45 -01:45 Darren Price Dj Set (UNDERWORLD Live)

02:00-03:00 TOM REAL

03:00- Lords of Lightining

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGzbGiCx1hI

The Off License is online now, 50 quid for 24 Heineken :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

threein99 wrote: »
    The Off License is online now, 50 quid for 24 Heineken :rolleyes:

question, apologies if it has been asked already.. Can we bring our own beer?

• Advertisement

novarock wrote: »
    question, apologies if it has been asked already.. Can we bring our own beer?

Yea you can, or you can order it from their off licence and collect it their

Advertisement