Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

JonT wrote: »
    Does anyone know, with Joe Bananas out of the picture, will there be a camping supply shop on site this year? If not, it'll be the first year without one.

what happened joe bananas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OP the Chemical Brothers is not on that list

The Chemical Brothers Glastonbury 2011 set
    1. Another World
    2. Do it Again / Get Yourself High
    3. Horse Power
    4. Chemical Beats
    5. Swoon
    6. The Swoon Arpeggios
    7. Star Guitar
    8. Three Little Birdies Down Beats
    9. Hey Boy, Hey Girl
    10. Galactic Phase Shift Interlude
    11. Don't Think
    12. Out of Control
    13. Saturate / Believe
    14. Escape Velocity
    15. Superflash
    16. Cherub Clown Harmonies
    17. Leave Home / Galvanize
    18. Block Rockin' Beats

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

M.T. Cranium posted a weather update for the weekend in the weather forum for EP.
    Latest model guidance is a bit mixed, some of the output looks dismal for both Saturday and Sunday, some gives a bit of hope for Saturday.

At this point would prepare for a downpour and hope for the best.

Seems that Irene has a bit of energy left for a frontal system that will be spawned to her south and just to the west of Ireland. The UKMO has the least development on this, the GEM which handled Irene well in the past three days has the most. GFS and ECM are in between.

The worst case scenario would be 25-40 mms of rain over the weekend with heavy bursts on Saturday that could include a bit of thunder embedded. Temperatures will be near 15 C daytime and 10-12 C at night. At least the start of the event should be dry on Friday.

I hope this outlook changes for you, but we're getting into the reliable time frame now. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056366793

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

jandek wrote: »
    Am I the only one ditching the chemical brothers for flying lotus?

Nope. I'll be there for FL.
    One of my must see's.
    Chem Bro's on the main stage in the pissing rain. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Thinking of leaving the smart phone at home. Handy with the apps etc. but a pain going to the charging station. Probably have to go twice and then keep phone off some of the time. Knowing me I'll lose it. Back to the old crap phone for the weekend.

What's everyone else doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Bringing my normal phone, brought it to sea sessions and everything was ok! it's a trusty nokia no touch screen though

I'm sure it's been asked before and direct me to the right place if it is, but whats the jazz with bringing a small gazebo into the campsite to have between a few tents!? is it yay or nay or just gotta wing it!?

-=al=- wrote: »
    Bringing my normal phone, brought it to sea sessions and everything was ok! it's a trusty nokia no touch screen though

I'm sure it's been asked before and direct me to the right place if it is, but whats the jazz with bringing a small gazebo into the campsite to have between a few tents!? is it yay or nay or just gotta wing it!?

No problem.

Get there a bit early to get a nice bit of space for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

budgemook wrote: »
    Thinking of leaving the smart phone at home. Handy with the apps etc. but a pain going to the charging station. Probably have to go twice and then keep phone off some of the time. Knowing me I'll lose it. Back to the old crap phone for the weekend.

What's everyone else doing?

Bringing my smartphone for definite, but going to run all the power saving measures I can, GPS off, brightness right down, pretty much using it exclusively for the map and possibly photos.
    Thinking of bringing the old brick as well, can't be wasting valuable drinking time charging a phone in fairness!! And the two batteries fully charged will definitely last the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

For people wondering how to get cans into arena my recommendation is wear football socks. It's possible to stuff two cans into each sock. Didn't get caught at all last year. Just remember to wait to get out of sight of the security on the gate before removing to put in a bag.
    Or one I was told by a girl is to have a few Tampons etc. sitting on top of stuff in your handbag with the cans/drink underneath...the male security will rush ya through pretty quick if they have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

No problem.

Get there a bit early to get a nice bit of space for it.

Excellent! Heading down by car early friday morning with 3 mates but should be there early enough to work something out. It's nothing big, just a nice area to converse with our chairs and booze even if it is pissing down :pac:

Never forget the rain last year on the last night, i was a good 15 min walk from my tent and previously lost my coat the night before and hat that day! Arrr

as for sneaking booze in, usually ita grand once you go in once to see what the jazz is, i usually switch to spirits to bring in since its a bit easier and theres some beer available in there (till 10, but still), down the wellies or any obscure places you can think of

Usually switch to spirits on the 2nd day or since 2nd day drinkin takes its toll with beer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

OP the Chemical Brothers is not on that list

The Chemical Brothers Glastonbury 2011 set
    1. Another World
    2. Do it Again / Get Yourself High
    3. Horse Power
    4. Chemical Beats
    5. Swoon
    6. The Swoon Arpeggios
    7. Star Guitar
    8. Three Little Birdies Down Beats
    9. Hey Boy, Hey Girl
    10. Galactic Phase Shift Interlude
    11. Don't Think
    12. Out of Control
    13. Saturate / Believe
    14. Escape Velocity
    15. Superflash
    16. Cherub Clown Harmonies
    17. Leave Home / Galvanize
    18. Block Rockin' Beats
    That'll go down nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Two days to go...............:D I'm in a statistics course today but all I'm thinking of is meeting up with everyone in the woods for a picnic. I'm 99.73% confidance that we're going to have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

this paints a grim picture too http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

but feck it.. you only live once...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I've good waterproofs and wellies but the thing I'm worried about is getting the car out of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

From met.ie, sounds pretty rotten
    Showers will be around on Friday morning for much of the northern half of the country. Highest temperatures of 15 to 18 degrees in moderate southwesterly winds. Then more rain will develop in the west and southwest during the evening, this rain will be heavy and will affect much of the country on Friday night and through Saturday. The rain will persist for much of Saturday and there is the chance of some local spot flooding in parts. The rain will push temperatures down with highs of 13 to 16 degrees. As the rain moves away to the east on Sunday morning, another weather front will move into western parts during the day, bringing yet more rain. The outlook for the early days of next week is for more unsettled weather, with rain at times.

Ah well, don't think I've ever been to an Irish festival where it hasn't pissed rain at some stage so I'm not gonna let it ruin my weekend!

Does anyone remeber what time they actually start letting you bring cans into the arena at, I know it's some time after the bars close, around half 10 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

NME.com wrote:
    http://www.nme.com/news/the-vaccines/58942

Unfortunately, the doctor has now confirmed that, this week, he will be operating on my throat for a third time this year. It was the wait for this decision, and no other reason, that meant we were able to complete commitments over this last week and why we will not be able to complete those in the coming weeks.

It continues: In a bid to allow my throat to recover and rehabilitate completely, we will be cancelling all shows, including our trips to North America in September and Japan and Europe in October. We will resume with our touring commitments in Paris on October 26th before supporting our friends the Arctic Monkeys here in the UK. This allows me to have eight weeks of the best vocal therapy available, allowing the best possible chance of complete recovery.

So that definitely rules The Vaccines out. Although I think the organisers had already opted to remove them from the bill regardless of whether they got the OK from the Doctor's.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭totallytrees

Just wondering does anyone have any info on transport to Dublin on Sunday afternoon? The Dublin Buses and Marathon Coaches aren't starting until 10pm till 2am.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

I won VIP tickets that have picnic garden Camping

Does anyone know whats the difference between this and a normal ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

I’ve got 2 identical 2man pop up tents (2000mm rating), haven’t tried it yet but I’d be fairly sure I could pop 1 up inside the other. Surely this would give me a wet free weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

ummmm might work might not, are they 2 skined? as in one mesh part one cover part? or is it just one layer?

If 2 probably won't work as there will be a size difference, one skin could be the same plus you will have the 2 layers touching meaning you'll have that cold skin regardless and moisture will form inside it regardless.

still though thats just what i think i've never tried it so maybe someone else can either agree or disagree with me!

Also i highly reccomend tents with porch areas seperate from your sleeping bit, avoid cheap stuff and you will be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I’ve got 2 identical 2man pop up tents (2000mm rating), haven’t tried it yet but I’d be fairly sure I could pop 1 up inside the other. Surely this would give me a wet free weekend?

nope. the two tents will cancel each other out. You'll get as wet as if you were standing naked in the rain. basic science.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I've never let the weather put me off an Irish festival before (been to every Electric Picnic) but that forecast is making me have second thoughts. Rain is a given - but camping in persistent/constant rain is no fun.
    Showers will be around on Friday morning for much of the northern half of the country. Highest temperatures of 15 to 18 degrees in moderate southwesterly winds. Then more rain will develop in the west and southwest during the evening, this rain will be heavy and will affect much of the country on Friday night and through Saturday. The rain will persist for much of Saturday and there is the chance of some local spot flooding in parts. The rain will push temperatures down with highs of 13 to 16 degrees. As the rain moves away to the east on Sunday morning, another weather front will move into western parts during the day, bringing yet more rain. The outlook for the early days of next week is for more unsettled weather, with rain at times.

Tusky wrote: »
    I've never let the weather put me off an Irish festival before (been to every Electric Picnic) but that forecast is making me have second thoughts. Rain is a given - but camping in persistent/constant rain is no fun.

To be fair, I've been reading a fair few weather reports and that is by far the worst one. Okay, worst case scenario we're going to get soaked but best case scenario is dry Friday and Sunday and a bit of a downpour on Saturday.

BELIEVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

To be fair, I've been reading a fair few weather reports and that is by far the worst one. Okay, worst case scenario we're going to get soaked but best case scenario is dry Friday and Sunday and a bit of a downpour on Saturday.

BELIEVE.

A bit of a downpour, there giving about 19hrs of solid rain between friday night and saturday night. Holy sweet jeebus this could be next woodstock, we'll all be running around in out birthday suits by sunday morning as there be nothing else dry.

Hey but on the bright side the weather forecast could change rapidly in the space of 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just come prepared go to Port West and get that Arran rain suit http://www.portwest.ie/storefront/ListC ... egory=1201 and wellies from Dunnes Stores for 15 euros. Rain suit (jacket & trousers) 15 and wellies 15 total 30 euros. Well worth it kept me dry for the Life festival. Im arriving Thursday morning so will be pitching tent as taut as poss, dont get that pop up sh*t or youll be a drowned rat.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 John_Lennon

Can you buy cans in the Off license at electric picnic or do you have to order them first? Also, is it very busy and very expensive? Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Might go just for the Sunday. Anyone know if you can get tickets at the gates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

anyone know if the carpark is within walking distance.. and not a busride away like Oxegen? If camping is a nightmare, sleeping in the car would be an option. I did in the last festival earlier in the summer and it was life saver!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

Ok well if the tent inside a tent doesn’t work, if I made a tent covering using binliners + duck tape, threw this over my tent when the rain hits surely then the inner tent would remain dry? Pic for reference:

drytent.jpg

Advertisement