Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭sissorhands

There is a chance of AF playing. I was twittering their manager Scott Rodger and he told me that they're not doing oxegen but they are coming back to Ireland and they're doing "something better". They have a gig in Edinburgh on the 1st of Sept, and EP is on from the 2-4th of September. They also mentioned at the o2 that they loved playing in Electric Picnic when Funeral came out.
    Arcade Fire aren't really a band that care about money, they were giving out crap that Dublin o2 ticket cost too much as well! Who knows?

source:
    twitter.com/scottsmethod

(AF's manager is Scott Rodger you will see it on my page)

I'd love to see Portishead, Low, Anna Calvi at EP this year. They all have new albums out this year and they seem to fit in with the type of acts you find at EP. Arcade Fire, will they made no secret of the fact they loved EP last time they were at it, so we can but wish they will play it again this year.
    Check out my last post in reference to AF and EP!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Arcade Fire may not be money driven, but their manager is quite good at securing lots of it anyway - by all accounts, their fee is a bit chunkier than you might think. Suppose that's to be expected when you're feeding half of Quebec though.

Arcade Fire may not be money driven, but their manager is quite good at securing lots of it anyway - by all accounts, their fee is a bit chunkier than you might think. Suppose that's to be expected when you're feeding half of Quebec though.
    Ah in fairness now, he was the writing in the Irish Times about the annoyance of the price for the tickets for the o2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

There is a chance of AF playing. I was twittering their manager Scott Rodger and he told me that they're not doing oxegen but they are coming back to Ireland and they're doing "something better". They have a gig in Edinburgh on the 1st of Sept, and EP is on from the 2-4th of September. They also mentioned at the o2 that they loved playing in Electric Picnic when Funeral came out.
    Arcade Fire aren't really a band that care about money, they were giving out crap that Dublin o2 ticket cost too much as well! Who knows?

source:
    twitter.com/scottsmethod

(AF's manager is Scott Rodger you will see it on my page)

they chose Oxegen over playing EP or a standalone gig because of the money offered to them by MCD. EP had an offer on the table last year but they rejected it because Oxegen was offering more money.

they "complained" about the the O2 gig price despite the fact they were the ones that set the prices (like every single band).

to say they don't care about money is laughably naive.
    in the last 5 years, they've shown they're absolute money whores when it comes to live gigs.

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness now, he was the writing in the Irish Times about the annoyance of the price for the tickets for the o2

that's weird, considering they set the prices for their own gigs, like every other band.

or, shock horror, they're feigning outrage because they know suckers will fall for the "big bad ticketmaster" nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

blah blah blah blah, rumour blah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's worth reading the Jim Carroll comments again, there's a bit more nuance to it than that. Although I do think their tickets here are expensive - and I've seen them nearly a dozen times now, so man, I feel it - the fact that their shows pretty much always sell out is kind of proof that their price points aren't misjudged. People are willing and able to pay it, so why would they charge less?

In their defence - and this will probably seem feeble given the angle of the conversation - if they're going to avoid commercial licensing to the extent they do, you can't blame them for making up the odds elsewhere. Bear in mind they're a largely self financed independent operation, and they are not rolling in hundred dollar bills, I can promise you that. They may have had a US #1, but they got it with less than half a million records; they are effectively dependent on their touring revenue. And the vast bulk of that dough, from one album and tour cycle, goes directly into funding the next, and so on. In the meantime, they do have outstanding mortgages and drive second hand cars. Rather than, y'know, live in solid gold houses and travel in limos made out of hookers laughing at their fistfuls of money all day.

So pricey, yes, but not the kind of fourteen legged Charlie Sheen that might suggest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

neaideabh wrote: »
    meh meh meh meh mehmehmehm !

Please do not post random shi-te like this. Be it true or not. There are no bands confirmed for EP. If you know something either spill or keep it to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Now that POD has got Aphex Twin on their roster for the Forbidden Fruit festival, I think an appearance by the Twin at EP is now long overdue, it would be nice to see.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Now that POD has got Aphex Twin on their roster for the Forbidden Fruit festival, I think an appearance by the Twin at EP is now long overdue, it would be nice to see.

probably not gonna happen if hes playing there in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rosewaterstone

any hope of mumford and sons or laura marling playing EP this year??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Lads anyone know when the tickets go up in price to to the regular ticket price? I want to buy it at the earlybird price but don't have the money at the moment, don't want to miss my chance tho, if anyone knows the date would be helpful.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

There's an announcement on March 10th so until then, I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Bands may set their own ticket prices but it costs the promoter €60,000 to insure the Point/O2 for *one night* that gets passed onto the punter.

The Odyssey in Belfast for one nights insurance? £500.

go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 WPJ33

im just hoping to see caribou playing in body and soul area again

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

arcade fire headlining one of the days. day tickets will also be on sale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

arcade fire headlininig one of the days.

Please God yes.
    day tickets will also be on sale

Please God no.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

arcade fire headlining one of the days. day tickets will also be on sale

Are you hypothesising? I know its likely, but any confirmation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

That's fantastic news that day tickets are going to be available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I don't think it is, I think it will spoil the 'vibe' more than anything. People arriving on a day trip won't be on the same wavelength as people that have already been at Electric Picnic for 2 or 3 days. And cheaper prices will appeal to a scummier element imo.

Just one more nail in the coffin of what was once the best festival in Ireland.....

It doesn't affect me that much though, cos I'm going to be working at the festival this year (body and soul area) and spending the money I save on my ticket going to other smaller festivals instead (Life, Body and Soul, Gateways, NPLD:))

Roll on the summer!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, I'm probably in the minority. :) I'm sure people who are happy with the festival would prefer it to stick with weekend only tickets.

For me it was frustrating that EP was weekend only because I prefer to splash the cash on festivals abroad while going on one of the days to Oxegen for example while at home. I just don't have the money to do the whole EP shebang for a weekend after going to one or two festivals on the continent.

Arcade Fire at picnic..almost heaven :)

day tickets will ruin the spirit of the festival though..seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Not good, it will ruin atmosphere in village during the weekend, full of cars etc

AND theyve moved it to the last weekend in August....SH!TE!!

it's gonna be Poxegen 2..

scaldies and bleedin numpty teenagers wreckin the place....sh!te

david75 wrote: »
    Arcade Fire at picnic..almost heaven :)

day tickets will ruin the spirit of the festival though..seriously.

well they sold day tickets in 2005 and it was grand.
    the spirit of the festival has been ruined by the constant cost cutting by the promoters, with little to no improvements in the festival facilities, not to mention the increasing amount of scumbags there.

no they haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

what was once the best festival in Ireland.....

Isn't that like claiming to be the tallest midget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Unless they sort out the over zealous security guards taking drink off people even when the bars are shut I wont be going this year. Last year was just rediculous with the security operation on drink. It was like going through security in a airport.

Advertisement