Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

some times here:
    http://clashfinder.com/s/ep2011/

not sure if that's the full times as TatM aren't playing that stage from what i can see...

This is from the EP website about Trenchtown:
    "This year Electric Picnic’s very own Jamaican Village, Trenchtown, brings over 50 hours of pure Jamaican Culture to Stradbally’s Woods. 16 Reggae bands including The Barley Mob, Avartar, The Little Beauties, Skazz and The Dirty Dubsters. 20 DJs & MCs representing 6 of the best reggae sound systems, DJ Floydicide from Jamaica’s South West Krew, London’s Reggae Roast legends Ramon Judah and Dub Hunter, Worries Outernational and One World Sound, bring the Islands roots and music alive each night.

During the day relax to Mr Whippy’s Tropical Party, sip non-alcoholic cocktails in The Electric Sun Lounge or take time out to view Jamaica’s legends of the screen and stage- Jimmy Cliff and Toots and The Maytals in the Jamaican Cinema and Acoustic Tent before catching them live on the Picnic’s main stage."

So maybe its only info that you can get on the laminate and programme at the festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Tekken wrote: »
    If someone is dropping you down and not actually going to the gig.
    (someone heading down that way giving me a lift)

What is the closest they will be able to drop us off to the actual site?

You can be dropped off almost at the entrance.

There is a reserved area for drop offs at entrance B on the Cork/Abbeyleix Rd, it will be well signposted and caters for traffic coming off the motorway.

Anybody coming from Athy/Carlow direction can enter and exit car park Z on Portlaoise Rd for drop offs

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Only just realised Kate Tempest (Sound of Rum) is playing in Body and Soul on Sunday @7pm, Love Letter stage. My happiness is complete. Check her out lads if you get a chance, she's an unreal rapper/poet from London.........

saw her at the picnic loads.. she used to always be in chai wallahs with onetaste... I really wish that tent was there this year :(

but yeah.. definitely check her out!

Just seen a discussion on the EP facebook page that only 7000 tickets have been sold for the festival, is this true? Looks like maybe the last picnic, weather forecasts not helping either to shift tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Maloney33

Just seen a discussion on the EP facebook page that only 7000 tickets have been sold for the festival, is this true? Looks like maybe the last picnic, weather forecasts not helping either to shift tickets.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i doubt it but if true then see you ALLLLLLL at arcade fire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Was reported that close to 30000 have been sold. What's your source? Or.the sources source?

Maloney33 wrote: »
    Link?

Cant bloody find it now, will keep looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

DeVore wrote: »
    Anyone used the safety lockers there before??

I'm thinking of bringing down my DLSR camera but its expensive and I want to keep it safe (and dry!) when I'm not using it.

Never been to EP before so figure it might be a good place to snap some pics...

DeV.

They were grand last year anyway. A lifesaver, actually; had my passport and my phone in there. In fact, the biggest risk you take with those lockers is trying to walk up and down the ramp to them without slipping!

Also the staff looking after them last year were lovely.
    Read on the website that "soft furnishings will be allowed in and inflatables and fold up chairs will be available inside". Can hardly see them stopping people with director-type chairs. Is this new or has it always been there?

Heh, when I read this I just had a mental image of someone bringing a sofa into the campsite with them!
    7000? That's pretty bad. I can't imagine it being that low.

But shur, you never know; recessionary times and all that.....besides, I reckon everyone used up their festival budget to go to see Amanda Brunker at Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

AdMMM wrote: »
    Was reported that close to 30000 have been sold. What's your source? Or.the sources source?

Where did you see 30k reported?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Maloney33

Cant bloody find it now, will keep looking.

Ah fine dont worry about it

Read on the website that "soft furnishings will be allowed in and inflatables and fold up chairs will be available inside". Can hardly see them stopping people with director-type chairs. Is this new or has it always been there?

Just seen that as well, can't see them stopping director chairs but as with anything there's always some dingbat out there just waiting to ruin your day.

I've interpreted that as you can bring in your own chairs etc but that they're also available inside which would be good for people to know if they were carrying a lot of stuff.

Likewise I've interpreted toot and the maytals and jimmy cliff appearances in trenchtown as being in a tent but on a big screen. That is to say they'll be showing documentaries or old performances rather than have them perform live in there!

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    AdMMM wrote: »

Where did you see 30k reported?

THE ORGANISERS OF Electric Picnic have said that the festival is here to stay for another few years at least, rubbishing rumours that the event is on the way out.

Site Manager Robbie Butler has told TheJournal.ie that ticket sales remain as strong as in recent years, with an estimated 30,000 people already heading to Laois this weekend. Capacity for the festival is 32,500.

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/electric-picnic-organisers-rubbish-final-year-rumours-214075-Aug2011/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ahh shuck was expecting them in trenchtown, is there no booze in trenchtown? Whats with the non alcoholic bar there...

Jimmy Cliff and Toots and The Maytals in the Jamaican Cinema and Acoustic Tent before catching them live on the Picnic’s main stage
    That suggests to me that yes, they might show The Harder They Come or some of that BBC footage from Islands 40 year anniversary documentary, but it also says Acoustic tent, this also suggests that they mean they will do an unplugged set.

Lots of artists have done two performances at the festival, Janelle Monae 2010- main stage & Body & Soul, Seasick Steve 2010 main stage and Salty Dog stage, The Wailers 2009 Trenchtown & Main stage, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble 2009 one of the marquees either Little Big or Electric Arena & Body & Soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I've heard the same rumours the last two years. About it being the last one.

I'd say the weather might impact last minute ticket sales alright, especially Sunday tickets, if it rains as much as some forecasts predict. But 7k tickets sounds way too low.
    Wouldn't trust the organisers 100% either though, they're hardly going to say there's loads of tickets left. But I'd have a bit more faith in them than some random person on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

The met eireann 5 day forecast rain chart seems to have cleared and it now looks like minimal rain on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The met eireann 5 day forecast rain chart seems to have cleared and it now looks like minimal rain on the Saturday.

party0003.gif

I think I'll join you.

party0003.gifparty0003.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭RINO87

Not looking the worst now at all!!! Kind of like last year without the sunday nite downpour!!

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Stradbally/long.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

re: only 7k tickets sold out same was posted on EP forum and the guy there said the source was a comment on the EP facebook which means some random person probably posted a rumour he heard from a mate in the pub.

As it is the 7k number just doesn't add up. Pretty sure the early birds sold out, Family Camping sold out, Campervan tickets are sold out and a good chunk of the fancy camping packages are sold out. That much alone is going to account for easily 5k.

I will say there has been a shockingly small amount of secondary market tickets for this years EP which makes me think that the numbers are down significantly but also a lot of people aware that it won't sell out (and also probably hoping for freebies / cheapies) are leaving the purchase to the last minute. I know I was in this bracket.

The organisers saying they expect 30k doesn't mean that there is 30k sold now just that they expect a lot of last minute buyers. Anecdotally I think they are right (but maybe not to the tune of 30k with the slightly ropey forecasts going around). I have a feeling the Box Office will be rammed tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

:):):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

I am here in Stradbally you would think its summer out there. Roll on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

6 working hours to go........

Good buzz at work here chatting to other EP goers. We're all preparing for the worst and hoping for the best (weather wise) but either way lets have some fun!!!

3 hours of work then 6+ hours of travelling after...

Really wish there was festivals in Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

danniemcq wrote: »
    3 hours of work then 6+ hours of travelling after...

Really wish there was festivals in Donegal!

Rory Gallagher festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I live 20 mins from Stradbally. Its been very overcast all week, and it looked like it was gonna pIss down any minute, without actually doing so. Then this morning, blue skies!! It's a tiny bit overcast at the minute but i'd settle for that bit time. Even the met eireann forcast has improved.

COME ONNN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

budgemook wrote: »
    Rory Gallagher festival!

Sea Sessions!

dammit forgot all about them!

*makes note for next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Marseepan

I've been lurking on this thread for the past month or so and just want to say hats off to all for the outstanding information and insider tips from everyone :D I'm feeling a tad more optimistic about the weather now, and have the poncho and black bags ready just in case!

Does anyone know if the carparks will be fairly full by around 2pm? I've managed to squeeze a half day out of work so hoping to be down early enough!

Advertisement