Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Raoul

Great weekend.

Highlights were Arcade Fire, go team, Japanese Popstars, Underworld.

Lowlights
    Chemical Brothers, Lack of space in the campsite. Price of pints.

Overall a great weekend seen a lot of music will defo be going back.

How is 5 euro too expensive really? A pint in dublin is nearly 5 euro and in some places more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

any of ye call into white lies last night?
    have to say i was pleasantly surprised
    pretty funny when some randomer fired a bag of corn flakes at the lead singer (altho i still think they were rice krispies)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Went to see White Lies last night very good. Had never heard of them before So it was a great surprise.

Was the price of the pints not 5.50 and that was well out of my budget had to stick to warm cans. Its only a small gripe out of a great weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Boys Noize Was unreal! Defo my favourte act of the weekend!

Did anyone else think the sound on the main arena was crap ? Unless you were right up near the front ? Very little bass.. We were beside the sound engineers/lighting platform for the chemical brothers and thought it was lacking loads. The sound in the electric arena was the best IMO, especially when Death in Vegas were on. Brilliant!

Also, Neutronicx was class, Saturday night was unreal there! And the dubstep last night was excellent!
    But I heard someone was stabbed there friday ? Cant find any news on it so its probably Bull.

This was my first EP, and I plan on going from now on. A few mates that have been for the last few years said they noticed a rise in scumbag levels. Anyone else notice this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That was the best weekend ever. Loved Foster the People. The silent disco was great craic.

Great to see a lot of Boardsies there, maybe we should set up a tent for next year :P

How many more days to EP '12? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Pulp’s performance at Ireland’s Electric Picnic Festival yesterday may have been their last ever performance together, frontman Jarvis Cocker told the crowd.

Entering the stage in usual fashion, the band played through their hits as part of an, as usual, crowd pleasing hour and a half set which included hits like ‘Common People’ and ‘Do You Remember the First Time?’. But, despite headlining the festival in front of thousands of fans, Cocker emotionally told the crowd “This may be the last time we're ever all on stage together again.”

He had already previously suggested that the gig could be their last after he told fans “this is the last gig of the tour, if so we start crying or get emotional, you'll understand.” With the tour coming to a close, and the festival finishing, could it be a picture perfect end to their careers too?

Pulp fans will, obviously, hope not – so they can take solace from Cocker’s departing message: “Maybe our paths will cross again.” But, though there’s been no official statement of any kind, it looks like Pulp may have reached the end of the line for now

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Korvanica wrote: »
    Boys Noize Was unreal! Defo my favourte act of the weekend!

Did anyone else think the sound on the main arena was crap ? Unless you were right up near the front ? Very little bass.. We were beside the sound engineers/lighting platform for the chemical brothers and thought it was lacking loads. The sound in the electric arena was the best IMO, especially when Death in Vegas were on. Brilliant!

Also, Neutronicx was class, Saturday night was unreal there! And the dubstep last night was excellent!
    But I heard someone was stabbed there friday ? Cant find any news on it so its probably Bull.

This was my first EP, and I plan on going from now on. A few mates that have been for the last few years said they noticed a rise in scumbag levels. Anyone else notice this ?

serious amount of scum this year, i had to deal with alot of victims of wristband robbing, some people were pretty messed up from the incidents.\

and the main stage sound was dire.

public enemy was poppin tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Maloney33

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Had my bag robbed on the first night in a bit of a strange one because they left all my drink there and I didn't actually realise until the next morning when I went to get changed. Didn't leave it ruin my weekend but obviously was a bit pissed off when I realised my camera was in it.

Apart from that I didn't experience any problems and can't wait for next year. Trinity Orchestra were one of the big surprises of the weekend, as were Cast of Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Had my bag robbed on the first night in a bit of a strange one because they left all my drink there and I didn't actually realise until the next morning when I went to get changed. Didn't leave it ruin my weekend but obviously was a bit pissed off when I realised my camera was in it.

Apart from that I didn't experience any problems and can't wait for next year. Trinity Orchestra were one of the big surprises of the weekend, as were Cast of Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    The only lowlights (if I had to pick some) would be the stream of people shouting "ALAN!! STEVE!!" over and over and over and over and over again, :D

Oh lord, I know you pain.

What a weekend. Missed it last year and it great to be back. Going toi bed now for a while full report to follow.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Here's some footage I took of ASIWYFA.....absolutely class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Upsides: performing two nights, meeting loads of great folks, Trentemøller live, Health, Dave Clarke, Kalkbrenner, loads of techno, not camping, Thai food stall. Downsides: rain, main stage sound, having to leave last night, the girl (probably in a K hole) at Health who kept falling into people, some backstage egos and did I mention the rain. Overall highlight was just strolling around meeting people on Sat afternoon in between showers. I'm not a fan of rain in case you've not noticed :p Enjoyed it overall and no hassle (except for the rain)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clip-Clop

First time EP-er.

Brilliant fun after going down for the day on Sunday - well organised, cool vibe, friendly people and zero problems.

Dublin Gospel Choir were brilliant to pep up the zombies, (and brilliant generally) (aside from us bright eyed day trippers), Japanese Popstars were absolutely phenomenal in the middle of the afternoon, Beirut were deadly (if it doesn't quite translate outside), Underworld - the highlight (along with JP) - starting to wilt from all that dancing but Pulp were still phenomenal.

Danced our socks off, had a brilliant time (shisha tent -deadly), quick cup of tea and back to Dub fo 2am (and nice to see Gardaí out breath-checking late last night).

Fantastic fun and I'll be back - dont know how people do three days though-absolutely destroyed tired after 1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The only lowlights (if I had to pick some) would be the stream of people shouting "ALAN!! STEVE!!" over and over and over and over and over again, the group of six people drinking right outside my tent from two in the morning till about sixish, but these gripes fade into insignificance when you take the full weekend into account, some laugh. :D

heh, that was the talk of the place. I had friends staying close enough to you, they kept on giving out about it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Did anyone see the guy fall out of the tree beside the quiet campsite yesterday afternoon ? he was taken off on a spinal board looked to be in a bad way.

I had a great time at this years picnic, though the amount of pillheads seemed alot higher than in prevous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Maloney33

"ALAN!! STEVE!!" over and over and over and over and over again, the group of six people drinking right outside my tent from two in the morning till about sixish, but these gripes fade into insignificance when you take the full weekend into account, some laugh. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hwLbhpatJo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Absolutely terrible! It really ruined Arcade Fire for me as I've seen them twice before and they were unbelievable. It's a pity they weren't in the Electric Arena instead, the sound in there was fantastic!

My highlight of the weekend was the Chemical Brothers, Disco 2000 by Pulp and Mogwai.

Can't wait for work tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Fantastic weekend was had as per usual, did see stradbally knacks get kicked out quite aggresively by cops and also my mates jager flag was stolen off my gazebo but they are two incidents which didnt ruin my fun.

Too many highlights il try list a few, foster the people (meeting lead singer after gig) at the ed sharpe gig in the woods, trinity orchestra followed by oh land was excellent then leading up to an excellent arcade fire gig, sound was fine were i stood but ep sound at main stage is always hit and miss. Pulp put on a fantastic show too

lowlights Alan Steve, one of my mates wouldnt shut up it was unbearable by sat morning, lykke li was just very underwheleming after my gf insisting i go, the soundcheck lasting a good 40 mins at the ed sharpe gig in forest, also the bass at everything everything i thought i was gettin punched constantly.

Will return next year for sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Mogwai, Warpaint, Santogold, 3Epkano, Health , Yuck, ASIWYFA, Midlake, Edward Sharpe, Body & Soul - all brilliant!

Does anybody know what happened to Ghostpoet's 3am B&S slot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 onelinedrawing

Those Alan! Steve! shouters ruined the audio on an otherwise amazing impromptu session we shot in the campsite with John Blek and The Rats.

Had an amazing weekend, highlights were Adebisi, The aforementioned John Blek session, Arcade Fire, Gordon Gano, M.Ward, Dying seconds, and arriving to the the sights and sounds of a lone Willy Mason entertaining an all to sparse mainstage audience...absolute highlight, girl who spent 3 minutes awkwardly trying to climb her boyfriends back and get on to his shoulders during arcade fire, she eventually did, and the song ended.

Here's video previews of our first 2 days, Sunday to come, followed by a rake of interviews and performances!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anyone see Austra and Zola Jesus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Home not so long ago. Absolutely exhausted but so worth it. Saw so many great performances; Interpol, Santigold, Lykke Li, Warpaint and Zola Jesus (what a voice!) were just some of the best. One tops them all though; I was right up at the front for Arcade Fire and it was hands down the single best gig I have ever seen in my life. It was worth getting there at 6.45 and staying there til 11.30 just to be up that close to them.

Legend status is hereby granted to:
    *Some kid of at most 9 or 10 years old who walked up to me and gave me a high-five because we were wearing the same Interpol tshirt.
    *Some woman, clearly a bit off her head, who ran into the woods calling out to Larry Murphy to "come out from wherever you're hiding." :D
    *Santigold's dancers. And Santigold herself for pulling people onstage to dance for Creator. And for the weird pantomime horse costume she had on at one point.

Only a few lowlights, apart from the rain:
    *As mentioned already by a few people, ALAN! STEVE! stopped being funny after about 10 seconds.
    *After hours of wandering I finally made it to the rave in the woods Saturday night, only for it to end about 2 minutes later. :( I thought it would have gone on longer.
    *As far as the bands I saw wernt, the only gig I left a little disappointed was The Drums. They actually played pretty well but their setlist had some major holes in it.
    *Crowds were generally alright, though some absolute CUNT in the crowd for The Go! Team went around harassing women and then started laying into a fella who told him to back off. Luckily security got him out but I seriously hope that asshole got his tent robbed or got hit by a bus or something since then. :mad:

tl;dr - the highlights definitely trumped the lowlights and it was a fantastic weekend overall. Woot! :D

EDIT: @lordgoat, didn't catch Austra but was up the front for Zola Jesus (not too difficult, considering the tent was only around half full) She was excellent; her voice is phenomenal. It's hard to imagine such a powerful deep voice coming from such a tiny woman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

anyone have wasp issues? everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 onelinedrawing

They're particularly aggressive around early september, death awaits them so they've got nothing left to loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Maloney33 wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I find that video funny, and knew about it before the Picnic, so at least I understood what they were going for, but put simply there were two problems with it:
    1. They were doing it wrong, it makes no sense to just go "Alan!! Steve!!! Alan!!! Steve!!!! Alan!!!! Steve!!!!" over and over again with no pauses!!!
    2. THE SHEER NUMBERS OF PEOPLE DOING IT! Seriously, was lying in my tent one of the nights, heard a group coming doing the alan steve thing, they passed, 2 minutes later a different group passed doing it, 2 minutes later, etc, etc,.

But again, this is just a tiny gripe, didn't let it piss me off too much.

Another highlight, DJ Shadow's lightshow and that sphere.....amazing!!! I really wish I hadn't lost my smartphone the day before the Picnic...was taking pics of it on a ****ty little nokia! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

lordgoat wrote: »

Austra were class! The last set I saw at EP. *tear* Was wrecked though, could barely stay awake or stand up during it, but there was some vibe there to be fair. Only disappointment was they didn't play "Shoot the Water" as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I was on Duty at this so didn't get too see that much acts, was there Friday and Sunday. Friday didn't see that much acts just Foster the People.
    Sunday was brilliant though, seen The Drums and then White Lies the band I really wanted to see so that made the 14 hour shift worth it.

Pulp put on a great show too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

lordgoat wrote: »

Got to see the tail end of Zola Jesus since Clap your hands say Yeah were poor. She was energetic to say the least. Great stuff for a small audience. Would like to see her again.

Had a good weekend except for the warm feeling down the back of my leg during Arcade Fire which turned out to be some scumbag using my leg as a urinal. I flipped.

I only heard Alan and Steve once or twice so didn't annoy me that much.

More scumbags around than there was 3-4 years ago. That was a little annoying. Puts me on edge.

Advertisement