Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen Lakes winter 2010/2011

Options
  • 02-12-2010 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Last winter there was all sorts of activities taking place on lakes across Ireland including lads cutting fishing holes etc. and 1 guy even wanted to ride a motorbike across lough Derg, last done about 50 years ago apparently.

Are the lakes that way inclined yet?

And I know its highly dangerous and I don't recommend these activities but I am just wondering if we are getting that extreme cold that we got last year.

It doesn't really feel cold where I am as the sun is out during the day as opposed to the freezing fog wee seemed to have last winter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

We didnt have the few weeks of bitterly vold weather before the snow that we had last year, so i would say it would be a lot more dodgy. I definately wouldn't chance walking across a canal this time around . .although i didnt chance it last time either!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Remember if you fall into a frozen lake, try and get out the way you came and then take you clothes off and roll in the snow.

I knew watching Bear Gyrlls would come in handy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I was able to walk on Lough Erne last year and jump up and down, and I'm about 17 / 18 stone in weight. Ice was probably 5 - 10 inches think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I remember my granny telling me that her sister pushed her on a kitchen chair across the river liffey in Newbridge sometime in the 40's !!

(Obviously this was before Poulaphoucadam was in operation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

scargill wrote: »
    I remember my granny telling me that her sister pushed her on a kitchen chair across the river liffey in Newbridge sometime in the 40's !!

(Obviously this was before Poulaphoucadam was in operation)

lough sheelin froze over in january, few of us walked out bout quarter of a mile. d brother walked out bout half a mile around an island and back. mite hav few pics of ye think there worth posting??

edit- didnt mean to quote scargill, hit quote by mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

lolie wrote: »
    lough sheelin froze over in january, few of us walked out bout quarter of a mile. d brother walked out bout half a mile around an island and back. mite hav few pics of ye think there worth posting??

I was out there last year and it was lovely. I fish on the lake quite regularly and Im hoping for it to freeze again this year so I can take another trip out for some photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

lolie wrote: »
    mite hav few pics of ye think there worth posting??

photos are always welcome - stick them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Sorry to be a killjoy, but while I can appreciate the attraction of walking on frozen lakes, like drunk driving it is a very dangerous and unwise practise.

Don't do it for a number of reasons; your own safety; children may see you and think it is safe to copy you and put themselves in danger and putting the emergency services at risk when they have to retrieve your dead body from the bottom of a lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Just back from sweden where he temp was -25 and all the lakes are frozen but a lot of them dont have the depth.
    Lakes could have an under current causing the lake to freeze on top but 5cm below its not.
    I was fairly nervous walking on some of them that where 15cm thick and there's not a chance you'd see me walking on lakes in Ireland unless the temp was below -15 for a NUMBER of weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Yeah I fell into a frozen lake in Nora in Sweden a few years back. Luckily I was within my depth & a friend pulled me out. An experience! Wouldnt do it again.In my defense people were skiing and driving on it. Not looking to walk on any lakes here, just take photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

The Foyle was frozen over at lifford where the rivers Mourne and Finn join. The Swilly froze in Letterkenny as the tide receded.5231276065_7227dd4966.jpg
    5231275615_a0fd739873.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Docks in Galway were frozen over completely on Thursday night,so was the Claddagh Basin.I threw a decent sized rock in and it didnt break through the ice.There's been a major thaw here in the last 24/36 hours though but there is still some ice in both.I'll put up pics if it happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Aiel wrote: »
    Docks in Galway were frozen over completely on Thursday night,so was the Claddagh Basin.I threw a decent sized rock in and it didnt break through the ice.There's been a major thaw here in the last 24/36 hours though but there is still some ice in both.I'll put up pics if it happens again.

I posted a thread in January 2009 with pics of the docks frozen over: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055455567

Saw that on Thursday alright, that makes it 3 years in a row the docks have frozen. Lough Atalia was frozen as well on Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Lough Bo in SE Co. Sligo froze last January, probably 5-10 inches thick. It froze again yesterday and is now covered in snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭lolie

took few pics of lacken lake 2day, froze solid. was covered with snow yesterday. took them with me phone so quality not great. heard a story that up to ten cows walked out on the lake and fell through the ice and drowned:eek: however true that is

138901.jpg
    138902.jpg
    138905.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

The skag up North has completely frozen over - Nay fishin for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

There were cars and quads driven on lough salt in lk last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

River Foyle at Lifford 10/12/2010

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Part of the Garavogue river in Sligo was almost completely frozen over earlier this week. Last year it and the lake were completely frozen and you could walk on it. This year however it was only millimetres thick.
    Still impressive to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Did any of the lakes freeze over quickly during this second freeze? Its been down to -12 most nights this week. They must be getting pretty solid by now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The Estuary in Malahide is froze for as far as my eye can see anyway and snowed over after yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

OP any chance of some pictures from around Roundwood?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The "Claddagh basin" totally frozen over in Galway city,bottles of buckie were bouncing off it last night:).About a third of the Docks also frozen although seen a huge ship arrive today so main part is ok obviously.Parts of Lough Corrib are frozen that havent froze since 1963.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Lough Corrib is frozen directly outside my house with snow sitting on top of the ice, looks like a desert. It's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Lough Corrib is frozen directly outside my house with snow sitting on top of the ice, looks like a desert. It's amazing.

Same for the Blessington lakes here - looks like a scene from Dr Zhivago according to a farmer I was talking too today on the phone, pity I'm stuck up in Mayo ATM:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Irish Water Safety has a press release out on ice and how to rescue someone in difficulties without endangering yourself. They could have put it on their home page, but look under November - Ice Safety Alert

With school Christmas holidays starting, ESB wish to bring to the attention of the public, and particularly parents, the serious hazards currently presented by frozen water surfaces at ESB reservoirs in Poulaphouca & Blessington in Co Wicklow, Iniscarra & Carrigadrohid in Co Cork, the headrace & tailrace at Ardnacrusha in Co Clare and along the shore line of Lough Allen, Derg, & Ree on the River Shannon.

The surface ice is very thin in places and not necessarily supported by the water beneath as water levels in the reservoirs and lakes vary for operational reasons.

ESB would like to advise the public that any access such as walking, skating and the use of any mechanically propelled vehicles on the frozen rivers and lakes is strictly prohibited.

Looks like the resevoirs at ESB stations around the country are all frozen. But the ice in resevoirs is never ever safe to walk on because of the changing water depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

A couple of pics from Lower Lough Corrib - frozen with snow on top for as far as the eye can see. Ice thickness was about 5-6 inches, no cracks or noise when you walked out on it.

Thanks for that Zippy.
    Thats an amazing sight to just see a white expanse out into the distance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Lots of frozen lakes and rivers on my trip through central Donegal today, most noticale would be Lough Finn which is totally frozen, looks almost alpine with the steep mountains overlooking the lake.

Both the Finn and Gweebarra rivers are also totally frozen

Advertisement