Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Dropping out in January - what happens??

Options
  • 02-12-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if I were to drop out of my course in January - what happens?
    What fees would I have to pay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭wtrdfrd18

If you leave before January 31st, you will have to pay half tuition fees + registration fee next september.
    Also if you drop out and are in the receipt of a grant, your chances of getting it again next year are not great...

I dropped out of NUI maynooth 3 weeks ago.. so.. trust me i know what you're going through..
    And I've no idea why i'm browsing the UCD forum tbh.. Lol!

Hope that helps anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

wtrdfrd18 wrote: »
    If you leave before January 31st, you will have to pay half tuition fees + registration fee next september.
    Also if you drop out and are in the receipt of a grant, your chances of getting it again next year are not great...

I dropped out of NUI maynooth 3 weeks ago.. so.. trust me i know what you're going through..
    And I've no idea why i'm browsing the UCD forum tbh.. Lol!

Hope that helps anyway :)

Thank you wtrdfrd18!
    I am in receipt of a grant - but I have no intention of doing another course if I drop out.
    So if I drop out before 31st Jan - I pay half the tuition fees? If I drop out after 31st Jan - do you know what happens then??

Sorry to hear you dropped out too - hope you are happy with your choice.
    I am constantly battling in my head as to whether or not to drop out, at this stage I am fighting a losing battle and deep down think I will be but just not sure what way it works, and how much I will owe if I do.
    Thank you for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    If I drop out after 31st Jan - do you know what happens then??

You pay for the full year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭wtrdfrd18

Oh wait a minute..
    If you drop out before january 31st.. but have no intention of doing another course in september.. then you pay nothing! Did you mean what do you pay to UCD??

The tuition fees+registration fee is payable to the next university you would go to next september..but if you don't go anywhere next september... then you dont have to pay anything.

As far as I know, there is no fee to leave UCD, they just deregister you and thats that.. Well thats what happened in Maynooth anyway..

Why do you want to drop out if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

wtrdfrd18 wrote: »
    Oh wait a minute..
    If you drop out before january 31st.. but have no intention of doing another course in september.. then you pay nothing! Did you mean what do you pay to UCD??

The tuition fees+registration fee is payable to the next university you would go to next september..but if you don't go anywhere next september... then you dont have to pay anything.

As far as I know, there is no fee to leave UCD, they just deregister you and thats that.. Well thats what happened in Maynooth anyway..

Why do you want to drop out if you don't mind me asking?

If the OP is paying fees (could be a postgrad or mature student etc), then staying in UCD after January 31st means they will have to pay the tuition fees for the full year. I am saying this as the OP mentioned having tuition fees.

If the OP is an undergrad getting a grant and just paying the student centre levy, then the levy is the only fee you would ever have to pay anyway. There is no fee for dropping out. But it depends on what the OP is doing and what the particular situation is regarding tuition fees.

• Advertisement

You pay for the full year.
    [PHP][/PHP]

Thanks parker kent

If the OP is paying fees (could be a postgrad or mature student etc), then staying in UCD after January 31st means they will have to pay the tuition fees for the full year. I am saying this as the OP mentioned having tuition fees.

If the OP is an undergrad getting a grant and just paying the student centre levy, then the levy is the only fee you would ever have to pay anyway. There is no fee for dropping out. But it depends on what the OP is doing and what the particular situation is regarding tuition fees.

I am a mature student, getting a grant - and my fees were paid too (lucky me i know, but just dont see myself doing this course anymore)

I dont plan on doing another course if I leave!

Thanks for all your help!

Advertisement