Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Tests

• 02-12-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

How much study are people doing and how much have you got done in all your subjects revising so far? Mine don't start for another 2 weeks, but

English
    Hamlet act 1 and 2
    Short stories
    Patrick Kavanagh Quotes

Irish
    Geibheann
    An Coras Oideachas
    Aimsir Caite

Maths
    alpha and beta
    equating coefficiants
    surds
    (Dreading this test, theres so much to do :()

French
    Futur simple
    Otherwise nothing because all my stuff is stuck in school

Physics.
    Geometric Optics
    Reflection
    Lenses
    Bit of refraction
    Acceleration
    Displacement
    about half the experiments

Chemistry
    Chemical bonding
    History of the atom
    Electron structure

Biology
    Scientific method
    Characteristics of life
    Food
    Cell diversity
    Cell structure

Applied Maths
    Nothing. I have no notes home and I don't know what exam questions to do. They are all so hard :(

As you can see, I've done a good bit in subjects I like and feck all in everything else. How are the rest of you getting on? BTW I'm a 5th year :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Mine were all put back cause of the weather and hopefully will again.

English - Write about 2 poets, a short story and a functional writing piece.

Biology - Chps 7,8,9,13, 14.

Chemistry - chapters 4 and 5 and the experiment in 6.

Construction - Our teacher gave us the exact questions :rolleyes: G'man.

Maths & Irish. - I don't have a clue what is going on in either of these subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Christmas Tests ,planned on studying every night this week,then the snow came & I will potentially fail half or more subjects now!

Maths-higher level paper 1,for christmas.I haven't done a question in 3weeks.In real danger of failing miserably.
    English-higher level paper 2 , planning on bluffing my way through this,one of the subjects im least worried about.
    Irish-mixture of the whole leaving cert, not to worried fluent in irish.
    Geography-leaving cert paper,haven't studied yet but not worried very easy.
    French-Full leaving cert paper.Due to snow,sports & music activities haven't had a french class in 3 1/2 weeks,llike maths great possibility of failing.
    Business-Full paper again.Genuinely find this very easy,would be amazed if I got less than 75%.
    Economics -One of last year's mocks papers,not a hard subject if studied & thankfully exam is not until 2.30pm on 23rd of december plenty of time to study!
    Music-Only doing a practical exam so,everything is fine,easy A.
    Accounting-let's not talk about that,if I don't think about it,it's not real :D,seriously though easy if ya practice it ,which I haven't.

So in general,putting it politely im f*****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

We did ours last week :)

I can enjoy the snow week in relative bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Maths HL- vectors, complex numbers, line, circle- not going to bother studying for it, simple stuff :D

English - not a clue xD probably comparative essay, comprehensions and something on hamlet - not too worried, not a points subject so rolling in the slackers C

Irish OL- full LC without the comprehensions - I'll just take my F now thanks! xD

French - 2 comprehensions, letter/diary, opinion piece, listening - fun fun test :P

Economics - market structures and factors of production - small bit of revision and I'll be grrand!

Accounting - published, service/club and some others from financial section - small bit of theory to learn and I'll be grand with a bit of practice!

Applied maths - linear motion, connected particles, projectiles and direct collisions - simples! :D

Physics - optics, mechanics 1, light, wave motion, temp and heat and others I forget - disappointed with last result so need to study this a bit I think!

Shouldn't be too horrible.....but I'm waiting to eat my words! 6th yr but started all courses again this year from scratch! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Marthaa

Finished mine today :D wasn't too pushed about them to be honest, would rathar do well in the mocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

Mine are next week (I'm a 5th year too btw :P) They were supposed to be this week so I already have most of my stuff studied :D

Irish
    Geibheann, Caca Milis, Aimsir caite and laithreach and a tiny bit of colscaradh. No aiste on our xmas exam :D:D

English
    Not a lot :rolleyes: I did about 3 of Boland's poems (Shadow Doll, Child of Our Time This Moment) I need to learn Love

Maths(ol)
    Co ordinate geometry of the line, algebra 1 and complex numbers

History
    Rising, War of Independence, Civil War and H.R crisis

Biology
    Scientific method, characteristics of life, food, cell diversity , cell structure, heart and the blood

Chemistry
    History of the atom, arrangement of electrons, rates of reactions, bonding, radiation and periodic table

French
    Mainly vocab and expressions for the journal intime, a tiny bit of grammer on the present tense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Mine start on the 20th. So far I've studied:

English: Nothing
    Irish: Nothing
    French: Nothing
    Maths: Nothing
    Chemistry: Nothing
    Biology: Nothing
    Business: Nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Mine start on the 20th. So far I've studied:

English: Nothing
    Irish: Nothing
    French: Nothing
    Maths: Nothing
    Chemistry: Nothing
    Biology: Nothing
    Business: Nothing

Amazing how our study plans so far look strikingly similar.:D

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    Amazing how our study plans so far look strikingly similar.:D

My study timetable started on the 24th of November! I had such great intentions to get all As in Xmas tests, I'll settle with passing everything at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

My plans for 5 A1s in the Christmas tests are also looking a bit far fetched :( No matter how much I do I never feel like I have enough done to get the top mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Mine are beginning next week, I've already got the aurals done and they went well. :)

Irish (OL) - Not much really, our test is fairly straight-forward.

English - Might write a Hamlet question this weekend, whether or not look over the quotes and a look at the poets I plan I doing (Boland and Dickinson).

Maths (HL) - Complex numbers, matrices, co-ordinate geometry of the circle and to a lesser extent the line

Physics - The light experiments (monochromatic light...ugh) and just wrap us electricity.

Chemistry - Once again, just straightening up and maybe get heat and acids + bases revised again quickly.

Biology - If I could get a quick revision of ecology done that'd be savage. If I didn't, I'll still be fine I'd say.

German - UGGHHHH, grammar, grammar, grammar, vocab, vocab, vocab. :(

So not much really, aiming to hit at LEAST 530 but would be delighted with 550. I guess I've most to do in maths, German and physics maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I have English on Thursday,
    Irish, Maths and Music Friday
    French Geography & Business Monday week..

I have seriously done absolutley nothing.. I feel really bad about it now.. I was told if I got 4 or more A's I could get a Blackberry for my birthday (24th December) but I doubt I will get that. What do you have to study for your tests?.. So far this is all I know..

English- Sylvia Plath, Patrick Kavanagh & Act I & II Hamlet
    Irish- Essays, Caca Milis, Hurlamaboc, Geibheann, Colscaradh and Comprehensions. We have done loads seeing as we're only Ordinary!
    Maths- Arithemtic, Algebra, Co-ordinate Geometry, Complex Numbers
    Business- Management and Communication
    French- ?
    Music- ?
    Geography- ?..

I asked my Geo teacher on Monday what was on our Test, she told me she'd let me know in a week or two.????.. I was like "You nutter our test is Monday" :L

English- Sylvia Plath, Patrick Kavanagh & Act I & II Hamlet
    Is she even on the course for LC 2011? :confused:

Is she even on the course for LC 2011? :confused:

She is for 2012?

She is for 2012?
    Ah, that makes sense. I keep forgetting that this forum is inhabited by more than just sixth years.

Ah, that makes sense. I keep forgetting that this forum is inhabited by more than just sixth years.

I didn't know the poet's changed, I thought it was just the poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Mine were meant to be over yesterday but I still haven't done French, Irish and English. I'm pretty much covered for French, have to go over Caca Milis and grammar in Irish and I need to work on my Kavanagh quotes for English. And yeah, I was aiming for as many As as possible but I never feel like I 've done enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

Namlub wrote: »
    Mine were meant to be over yesterday but I still haven't done French, Irish and English. I'm pretty much covered for French, have to go over Caca Milis and grammar in Irish and I need to work on my Kavanagh quotes for English. And yeah, I was aiming for as many As as possible but I never feel like I 've done enough...

What is this mention of Delicious Cake is it something I should of heard of by now.
    6th year honors Irish student.

What is this mention of Delicious Cake is it something I should of heard of by now.
    6th year honors Irish student.

It's on the 5th year course, we have different poems and pros... plus, we only have 5 poems and 5 pros, and NO stair na gaeilge! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

It's on the 5th year course, we have different poems and pros... plus, we only have 5 poems and 5 pros, and NO stair na gaeilge! :pac::pac::pac:

To be honest, the history seems to me to be pretty much, easy points.

• Advertisement

To be honest, the history seems to me to be pretty much, easy points.

Well now it's not there! And Oral = 40% = Easiest points possible
    Face it, Irish is less awful for 5th years af 2010/2011 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

5 poems?! I thought we had to do ten, whut...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Marthaa

And Oral = 40% = Easiest points possible

Hmmmm I think everyone is underestimating the new oral exam. It will have to be alot harder now to justify the 40% won't it?

Marthaa wrote: »
    Hmmmm I think everyone is underestimating the new oral exam. It will have to be alot harder now to justify the 40% won't it?
    It will, but come on, we can manipulate it all we want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

Anything can be asked in the oral. You can prepare but God knows what the examiner might ask you. I'd rather have the extra percentage for the written, where you can prepare for nearly any outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I asked my Geo teacher on Monday what was on our Test, she told me she'd let me know in a week or two.????.. I was like "You nutter our test is Monday" :L
    That may have been her (slightly smart-arsed) way of saying she wasn't going to be giving hints before it happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Ray Foley wrote: »
    Anything can be asked in the oral. You can prepare but God knows what the examiner might ask you. I'd rather have the extra percentage for the written, where you can prepare for nearly any outcome.

no you don't... preparing for the oral is stupid.. just know a bit and you will be able to work it around someway.. and it'll sound way more natural than trying to recite out a prelearned answer for the oral..

trick to the oral is too be pretty fluent in the language and be able to have the chat with the examiner basically - if your just flowing ****e out of your mouth (be it ****e with good gramar and lanuage :p) it'll be so much more impressive than the same old recited answer that 50 students before you gave...

you guys are so lucky to have 40% for oral - ye have no idea - and no you don't wish you had the old system - ask anyone ANYONE who did the old system which they'd rather do they'd pick the new system with 40% for oral...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

I disagree. The orla is okay for fluent or near fluent Irish speakers. Most of us are plain shít. That's why there is a fear of the Irish oral exam.

It's bad enough to sit in front of some yolk and talk about yourself nevermind trying to talk to them in a "foreign" (strange like!) language.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

CdP, what has your teacher told you will be on it? Ours is on the steering committee for it and is putting some serious work into all of us so some of the weaker students are a big worried. It would be interesting to hear what teachers not in-the-know are doing, this one is mad though, always after her A1s!

• Advertisement

CdP, what has your teacher told you will be on it? Ours is on the steering committee for it and is putting some serious work into all of us so some of the weaker students are a big worried. It would be interesting to hear what teachers not in-the-know are doing, this one is mad though, always after her A1s!

She's doing a topic a week and gives us a test on it like once a month :(

Advertisement