Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player temporarily banned from playing matchmaking due to quitting

Options
  • 02-12-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭

1260228273452_f.jpg

annoying bull****. haven't quit once, have lagged out of a few games. what a pile of crap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Whats a few? I've quit out of two or three before and didn't get temp-banned...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

TBH I dont even know, I was playing on Wednesday evening and i'd say over the course of about 3 hours... I lagged out of maybe around 3 or 4 games. A warning popped up on the screen after the last one saying that I had quit out of too many games and if I continue to quit i'll get a temporary ban.

Then from about 3 o'clock yesterday I was playing away merrily, played probably about 20 games in all up to about half eight and then I lagged out of one. Tried to go back into the lobby and I was banned!

It only lasted ten minutes, but what a pile of crap.

meh, i guess they cant do much about it really, it does keep the real quitters out of the running for a bit! you seem to be getting unlucky though, because i've been known to lag out of a game or two but usually i just get black screen, and then after a few minutes i get game over, and everyone ELSE is gone and i've won. single handedly. **** yeah :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

It's a pile of crap for the team that lost a player too.
    It's in to punish quitters that ruin matches. Can you not try to improve your connection/settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

It sucks if it keeps lagging out, but imagine how frustrating it is for everyone else in your game who has to repeatedly look at the scores list for 30 seconds while they wait for you to reconnect?

10 minutes doesn't seem too bad, would give you enough time to check the connection status/quality and maybe make a cup of tea. Must be really frustrating for the people who quit just because they don't like the map that's been voted for etc.

• Advertisement

It sucks if it keeps lagging out, but imagine how frustrating it is for everyone else in your game who has to repeatedly look at the scores list for 30 seconds while they wait for you to reconnect?

Why would the others in the game be in black screen? Surely i'd just be running into a wall somewhere or standing still, its not like i'm ever the host. There are times when it has happened mid game, i'll go into black screen for 10-20secs and when I go in a player will have say 10 kills, i'll come out of black screen and they'll be on 12..the game is definitely going on around me.

I'm on 30mb upc, when I go to the connection status the ratings are all excellent with open NAT, dont think there's anything that needs improving really.

What really bugs me is the quota bungie must have for enforcing this ban. I mean, its a maximum of 4/5 games out of the 63 games that I played yesterday and wednesday (Snowdays, there's feck all else to do!). Thats hardly worth a ban.

well there must be somethin goin on there, i'm on 1mb eircom, right at the end of our exchange, and even i dont lag out that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Adam wrote: »
    well there must be somethin goin on there, i'm on 1mb eircom, right at the end of our exchange, and even i dont lag out that much!
    Same, I've been on 3MB DSL and 15MB UPC and haven't had any such problems. There has to be some weird issue with your connection. Do you share it with people who might be torrenting it at the time?

I would email bungie and plead your case. They may do nothing but they might see your side of it. It could be something on the server side, like your exchange dropping your connection momentarily several times a day or something. Lots of ISP's are bad for that. I left vodafone's service last year over it.

Besides, until bungie patches the reach netcode and stops chucking players into laggy games with teams that are 2 players short, they can stick their banhammer up their arse. Do they expect paying customers to sit in a laggy match getting destroyed for up to 30 mins at a time because their game servers couldn't set a game up properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Just got this ban.
    Quited like 3 times in around 4 hours of play because the same stupid map came up 6 times in a row.
    Thats a very good system they have there for getting rid of loyal customers.
    Really stupid tactic there Bungie.
    Thats the end for me and Halo Reach.

• Advertisement

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Just got this ban.
    Quited like 3 times in around 4 hours of play because the same stupid map came up 6 times in a row.
    Thats a very good system they have there for getting rid of loyal customers.
    Really stupid tactic there Bungie.
    Thats the end for me and Halo Reach.

In fairness, you quitting cuz you dont like the map is the entire point of the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

maximoose wrote: »
    In fairness, you quitting cuz you dont like the map is the entire point of the ban.

He's right y'know. You realise you're the one who's in the wrong here, not Bungie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

maximoose wrote: »

Damn right... OP man up and play the damn map... or else get more of your deserved bans...

Well if the same map comes up 6times in a row then that's me quitting. Stupid system!

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Well if the same map comes up 6times in a row then that's me quitting. Stupid system!
    if the same map came up 6 times in a row, how did you only quit "like 3 times in 4 hours"?

Adam wrote: »
    if the same map came up 6 times in a row, how did you only quit "like 3 times in 4 hours"?

Because It only came up "3 times in 4 hours" .:P Anyway Im back playing now and i can assure you the ban was extremely harsh definately not deserved. Think they need to sort out the map selection system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had a few calls bout this in work to be fair.

Granted we have no official information, lagging out games dont count.

If there is an actual physical quit by selecting the quit option this counts, and if its something like 5 times within a certain timeframe.

There is no specific details so that people will be paranoid ever quitting. Good form imo

I got disconnected from three games last night within about 10 minutes and nothing happened so ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Paisley

I tell ya what needs to happen. They need to not punish people for leaving. What about when people troll / deplete your shields or sit there and don't play (no, they hardly get kicked for being idle, maybe over the course of a few games, but I've also seen people with a buggy stick that just moves them ever so slightly and it keeps them from being idle).

If I want to leave a game, Halo should be able to handle that with out having a heart attack every time. People should be able to join in and leave games at will. Punishing me for leaving a game has seriously made me spend far less time playing this game than I might otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Paisley wrote: »
    I tell ya what needs to happen. They need to not punish people for leaving. What about when people troll / deplete your shields or sit there and don't play (no, they hardly get kicked for being idle, maybe over the course of a few games, but I've also seen people with a buggy stick that just moves them ever so slightly and it keeps them from being idle).

If I want to leave a game, Halo should be able to handle that with out having a heart attack every time. People should be able to join in and leave games at will. Punishing me for leaving a game has seriously made me spend far less time playing this game than I might otherwise.

Firstly you still get kicked for only moving slightly or spinning around in circles. Tested this last year on Halo3 with a GH3 controller.

Secondly, no. Most people who want to leave are people who are losing. If you leave it is unfair on the people you were playing with as they are now a man down. If people could leave and join games on the fly like in CoD, it is not fair to the people who have to take an unfair loss because they joined in mid game to a losing team.
    Rage quiting is childish and is unfair to everyone that does not have the mentality of a three year old. To sum it up, if you cannot take a potential loss, do your team a favour and do not play.

And yet that somehow still doesn't help solve the issue of trolls in your game... And no, you might've tested that in Halo 3, with a GH controller, but I've seen a number of people (I have a wonky controller actually), they aren't kicked. At least not within the first two or three games.

And finally, a game punishing you for leaving is a game that lacks confidence towards how fun it thinks it's game is. You should never punish people for leaving, or create some kind of fear for quitting a game. Maybe most people that want to quit ARE losing, on the other hand, the people that just have someone quit (especially annoying with guests), should THEY have to stay in the game and play 2 v 4? No.

• Advertisement

They punish you for leaving and they reward you staying. The end of game credits increase when someone leaves the game early for those who stay.Imo, it is the best of a bad situation.

As for asses on your team. If you want to troll them back, make sure that they are responsible for your death so that they are marked with a betrayal. You can kick them if they they do it often. Also, give them neg rep and set to avoid. You would be surprised how often you would play the same people over and over again.

They punish you for leaving and they reward you staying. The end of game credits increase when someone leaves the game early for those who stay.Imo, it is the best of a bad situation.

As for asses on your team. If you want to troll them back, make sure that they are responsible for your death so that they are marked with a betrayal. You can kick them if they they do it often. Also, give them neg rep and set to avoid. You would be surprised how often you would play the same people over and over again.

Well and that's what it gets to isn't it? Whether or not credits really matter to you. Personally I don't care to customize my spartan (especially in team games, where you're hardly discernable from anyone else anyways, I rarely play 1 vs games).

I prefer Halo's gamestyle to CoDs, but I can't stand Halo's matchmaking. Once you've joined matchmaking and "found a match" you're locked, no leaving early from THAT either. Them killing out my credits doesn't mean **** to me, but don't stop me from playing -_-

And that's a long list of things to do if you get a troll >_> also making sure they're responsible for your death doesn't net them a betrayal, because I've personally killed people who've taken damage (I've also died this way) and nothing but a regular death comes of it. If they outright take me from no dmg being taken to death, then usually they get a betrayal, but even that sometimes doesn't offer an opportunity to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 iHade

Does anyone here play MLG and would be interested in a LAN?

Advertisement