Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming our Future-Demonstration Friday 3rd

• 02-12-2010 9:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

The Leitrim branch of Claiming our Future, a progressive grassroots movement for change is holding a demonstration about the proposed cuts tomorrow, Friday 3rd at 2pm in Manorhamilton.
    For more info on the organisation and event pls check out
    http://www.claimingourfuture.ie/?p=653

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

how did it go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

duckysauce wrote: »
    how did it go ?

About 70 or so at the demonstration which personally thought was good considering the weather. There was a positive atmosphere depsite the bleakness of the situation with a good mix of people of all ages and different backgrounds. We also received a very good response from people passing by who were beeping their horns in support.
    In general it was an uplifting experience to know that something was done on a local level and hopefully its just the beginnings of a wider movement to oppose the savage cuts in this budget and in all probability the proposed cuts in future budgets.
    There are also Claiming our future groups active in Donegal and Sligo for those who want to get involved or find out more see the website.

If anyone want to voice their concens immediately Claiming our Future have organised an emergeny petition in opposition to the reduction in the minimum wage. (see link). This is a vital local, regional and national issue. The cut in the minimum wage will affect people all over the country so if this is something that you oppose make your voices heard. As one of the slogans said on a placard at the demo "the poor cant afford to pay".
    Please sign and send around to your friends!:)
    http://www.claimingourfuture.ie/

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

About 70 or so at the demonstration which personally thought was good considering the weather. There was a positive atmosphere depsite the bleakness of the situation with a good mix of people of all ages and different backgrounds. We also received a very good response from people passing by who were beeping their horns in support.
    In general it was an uplifting experience to know that something was done on a local level and hopefully its just the beginnings of a wider movement to oppose the savage cuts in this budget and in all probability the proposed cuts in future budgets.
    There are also Claiming our future groups active in Donegal and Sligo for those who want to get involved or find out more see the website.

If anyone want to voice their concens immediately Claiming our Future have organised an emergeny petition in opposition to the reduction in the minimum wage. (see link). This is a vital local, regional and national issue. The cut in the minimum wage will affect people all over the country so if this is something that you oppose make your voices heard. As one of the slogans said on a placard at the demo "the poor cant afford to pay".
    Please sign and send around to your friends!:)
    http://www.claimingourfuture.ie/

thanks

Although I do support such movements especially now, what with the way the country is and all. I did notice that the majority of the people at this demonstration were people who had never worked a day in their lives and relied on government grants and the dole for everything so it kind of took away from it.

congress3 wrote: »
    Although I do support such movements especially now, what with the way the country is and all. I did notice that the majority of the people at this demonstration were people who had never worked a day in their lives and relied on government grants and the dole for everything so it kind of took away from it.

how did you know that they never worked a day in their lives ?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Because I know most of them. Manorhamilton is a very small town.
    And alot of them that supposedly "work" are people on government schemes getting paid for doing f**k all.

• Advertisement

congress3 wrote: »
    Because I know most of them. Manorhamilton is a very small town.
    And alot of them that supposedly "work" are people on government schemes getting paid for doing f**k all.

are they politicians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

are they politicians?
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

how did you know that they never worked a day in their lives ?
    id have to agree.i went by the day of the protest and it was mostly made up people supported by government grants at present.Such as the North Leitrim Mens group and the Sculpture Centre.Didnt see any 9-5 workers there.

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    id have to agree.i went by the day of the protest and it was mostly made up people supported by government grants at present.Such as the North Leitrim Mens group and the Sculpture Centre.Didnt see any 9-5 workers there.

Yeah it was held at a bad time most 9-5 workers would have been at work.

Advertisement