Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heritage: Australia's Metrovic XA Diesel class.

• 02-12-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

These were remarkably close looking to our own A Class locos, they were also equipped with Crossley engines which gave trouble. They made the choice to modify their existing motors rather than swich over to GM. (Against engineers advice) At least ours lasted into the mid 90's :p

5 have been preserved.

303leoj.jpg

http://www.hothamvalleyrailway.com.au/xa_diesel_loco.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

wow, thats one ugly loco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sssh it'll hear you and be upset...I like it....and can we see thousands of more train pics on here please...until they give us our own section....

you can see the similarities in the cab windows alright

can someone porst a picture of an A class so we can compare (and annoy JD)

Cie_engine_001_1.jpg
    a3rc.jpg
    header1.jpg

• Advertisement

gibber...slaver....:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

OK one last push to get a 'dribblers' forum but it should only be open to those previously banned by RUI/IRN or the IRRS. :D

Here's one from long, long ago in the deep, dark forests of north Tipperary.

a002s0.jpg

off for a cold shower...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Thurles Beet Sdgs JD? Sorry I just can't avoid asking the question, nice photo:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Thurles Beet Sdgs JD? Sorry I just can't avoid asking the question, nice photo:o

You got it - circa 1985 (?). You'll have to apply for the mod's job in the new forum. :D

• Advertisement

The throttle control "wheel" on the X class is identical to that on the A class, both being from the same manufacturer. The A throttle was changed to 8 notches from the original 10, probably when the GM engine was fitted.

X class:
    XA_Cab_3.jpg

A class (taken by me):
    35180_1338655028230_1286778423_30766813_8238289_n.jpg

Advertisement