Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Class File that is used by the flash file to birth Objects ?

Options
  • 02-12-2010 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Everybody...

I'm relatively new to this and having a difficult time. I have built a image gallery with xml in ActionScript 3.0 that has 2 columns of thumbnails to pick from. Is there any way i can convert my .fla file to an .As file so the class file can be used to birth objects on the main timeline ?

My Xml code is

<? xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<images>
    <image source="images/Image1.jpg" thumb="thumbnails/Image1.jpg">All Smiles.</image>
    <image source="images/Image2.jpg" thumb="thumbnails/Image2.jpg">Enoying the live show.</image>
    <image source="images/Image3.jpg" thumb="thumbnails/Image3.jpg">Dinner Outside.</image>
    <image source="images/Image4.jpg" thumb="thumbnails/Image4.jpg">A couple at the Speech.</image>
    <image source="images/Image5.jpg" thumb="thumbnails/Image5.jpg">Having A Dance.</image>
    <image source="images/Image6.jpg" thumb="thumbnails/Image6.jpg">Having A Dance.</image>
    <image source="images/Image7.jpg" thumb="thumbnails/Image7.jpg">Street Performer.</image>
    <image source="images/Image8.jpg" thumb="thumbnails/Image8.jpg">High Brow.</image>

</images>

My Flash file Code is

var imageLoader:Loader;
    var xml:XML;
    var xmlList:XMLList;
    var xmlLoader:URLLoader = new URLLoader();

var numClips:int=6;
    var columns:int=2;

xmlLoader.load(new URLRequest("data/images.xml"));

xmlLoader.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, xmlLoaded);

function xmlLoaded(event:Event):void
    {
    xml = XML(event.target.data);
    xmlList = xml.children();
    for(var i:int = 0; i < xmlList.length(); i++)
    {
    imageLoader = new Loader();
    imageLoader.load(new URLRequest(xmlList.attribute("thumb")));
    imageLoader.x = 6 +( i % columns )*600;
    imageLoader.y = 6 +(Math.floor(i/columns)*106);
    imageLoader.name = xmlList.attribute("source");
    addChild(imageLoader);
    imageLoader.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, showPicture);
    }

}

function showPicture(event:MouseEvent):void
    {

imageLoader = new Loader();
    imageLoader.load(new URLRequest(event.target.name));
    imageLoader.x = 158;
    imageLoader.y = 6;
    addChild(imageLoader);

}

the code that i am trying to use on my new .fla file so that an .As class file can be used to birth objects on the main timeline is

import classes.interactive.gallery.ImageGallery;
    var gallery:ImageGallery = new ImageGallery("data/images.xml","thumb","full");
    addChild(gallery);

The code in my .As file is just a regular template where i dont know where to begin......

package
    {
    import flash.display.*;
    import flash.events.*;
    import fl.transitions.*;
    import fl.transitions.easing.*;

public class ImageGallery extends MovieClip
    {

public function ImageGallery()
    {

}

}
    }

Please help :confused:.Any feedback would be a great help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

It is possible. At a high level, you need to create a Class for your main Flash file. (You can do this in the properties panel) The second thing is to create a Class that you want multiple instances of.

I'd recommend doing a test, by setting up a basic structure, where you have a main class, and you can create multiple instances of another class, something like a Ball, and use the main class do something like new Ball("blue", 50); with different variables. If you can get to that stage, you can then try create something like an ImageHolder class, that loads a targetted image, and a LargeImage class that contains the full size image. You can then try get them to talk to each other.

I'd suggest you try read up on a few Flash Class/OO tutorials to get you up to speed.
    http://www.flashandmath.com/bridge/intro/
    http://www.senocular.com/flash/tutorials/as3withflashcs3/?page=1
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/actionscript/articles/oop_as3.html

Good luck!

Advertisement