Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw preference

• 02-12-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I was just wondering does anyone have an opinion on Husqvarna saws versus Stihl? I am about to buy one and I'm finding it hard to decide which...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Niteadds

Not sure if you are still deciding on your chainsaws or not. Iv worked in a repair shop in Canada a bit and they sold both brands. And it would be like comparing a firrari to a lamborgini, both are high quality and both are used in the forestry industry. So from that it's down to comparing the 2. Weight, engine size, bar lenth, how often will it be used. And cost on maintenance, parts ect. Iv alway found stihl to be great but then I haven't used too many huskys. So take those point in to factor and chose from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its not as simple as A vs B.
    You need to ask yourself a few questions first.

i) What do I need it for and how often will I use it?
    ii) What maximum size of wood will I be cutting?
    iii)How much do I want to spend (including PPE)

Once you know what size and power of saw you want/need then you can start to narrow the field.
    Say you will be cutting max 24" timber, you can probably get away with a 14-16" bar given that you can cut from both sides.
    most saws of this size will have 35-50cc engines.
    I wouldn't discount other makes as well, Oleo-mac make some very good saws, as do Hitachi/Tanaka, and Komatsu Zenoah, Shindaiwa are good saws as well.
    Stihl have a big name and are well supported, but you pay for the name.
    For most consumer useage a 40cc saw will be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

CJhaughey wrote: »

Once you know what size and power of saw you want/need then you can start to narrow the field.
    Say you will be cutting max 24" timber, you can probably get away with a 14-16" bar given that you can cut from both sides.
    I wouldn't discount other makes as well, Oleo-mac make some very good saws, as do Hitachi/Tanaka, and Komatsu Zenoah, Shindaiwa are good saws as well.

Good advice except for one thing, Komatsu Zenoah saws are pure dung. I used to sell them but i gave up because of all the problems. Efco saws are top class though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Stihl, I have owned three and still have two and they have all been incredibly reliable and robust. The third I sold because of a move. I have yet to wear one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

I do repairs on these for a local tool hire on stuff they cant do themselves, I only ever got one stihl, they are built very well, I can't count the number of times I had to rethread the exhaust bolt threads in the heads of huskies, the exhaust rattles loose and wrecks the threads, I have a jonsard, had it 10 years with a lot of use and flawless, very similar to a husky but I rearly get them in, a good saw in my mind. The best built is the stihl, just built right, but you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

sachs-dolmer were a great saw makita make them now put i think you can buy dolmar new saw one on done deal but dont no is it genuine. i sell sticks and was using my uncles one my self last year and its 25-30 year old and didnt give any bother easy started and great power. bought a stihl ms 311 this year and cant complain. i have a 18" bar on it at the minute and it can power it no bother even in hard timber and the man said u can even put 20" on it.bought it in north it cost around euro500+vat not to bad i dont think

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

I bought stihl ms171 about 2 years geat little saw absolutely zero complaints with it paid 300 for it and would give it again as they say you get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

CJhaughey wrote: »

I have all ready considered all the above....my question was just about opinions on which is better. Bought the husky in the end as it was a fair bit cheaper than the similar stihl...local hire centre had 15% off the huskies too...we'll just have to wait and see how it fairs out! My cousin has the stihl ms250c and bought the 445e, so we can compare performance. Thanks again lads.

Advertisement