Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to force line breaks in Wordpress?

• 02-12-2010 10:38pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

WP is being a little awkward lately. I'm trying to make a bit of space between my paragraphs, I press return, but when I look at it in preview the paragraphs are all squashed again. I've tried putting in some < /br> but they don't work. :(
    Anyone have an idea?

Also having trouble getting the font bigger on some words. The usual <FONT SIZE= etc. doesn't work. Does WP work differently?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

I had the same problem with Blogger and ended up having to put a dash - between paragraphs to create a space; then turning the dash the same colour as the blog background, so it couldn't be seen to the reader. A bit long winded I know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I had the same problem with Blogger and ended up having to put a dash - between paragraphs to create a space; then turning the dash the same colour as the blog background, so it couldn't be seen to the reader. A bit long winded I know.

You can create a space using the html tag   (Non breaking Space)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

dory wrote: »
    WP is being a little awkward lately. I'm trying to make a bit of space between my paragraphs, I press return, but when I look at it in preview the paragraphs are all squashed again. I've tried putting in some < /br> but they don't work. :(
    Anyone have an idea?

Also having trouble getting the font bigger on some words. The usual <FONT SIZE= etc. doesn't work. Does WP work differently?

Thanks

The correct tag is '<br/>', not '< /br>'.

Your stylesheet might be overriding certain visual formats. For example, the '<font size = ' tag isn't used that often anymore.

Find your sites stylesheet and look for the 'p' and 'br' style definitions.

If your site is live, PM me a link to it and I'll have a goo at the stylesheet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks conorcan. My site is www.tuisligh.com

Eventually what I did was put in <h5></h5> tags between each line. It did the job! But if there's something funny going on conorcan maybe you could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

In style.css, under the following definition:

br.clear { margin: 0px; padding: 0px; }

you could add:

br { padding-bottom: 10px; line-height: 16px; }

If it works (i.e. causes a line break), then you might experiment with changing the line-height value.

If it doesn't work, try:

br { clear:both; padding-bottom: 10px; line-height: 16px; }

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Great, thanks!

Advertisement