Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Temperatures Thread

Options
  • 02-12-2010 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Just curious.
    What are the effects of different minice tempertures.
    e.g. Would -13 feel a lot colder than say -8?
    It all seems cold to me, so not sure if I could tell the difference.
    Also if it was -13 outside and you were to go for a walk in it , would it be dangerous to your health or breathing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Pangea wrote: »
    Also if it was -13 outside and you were to go for a walk in it , would it be dangerous to your health or breathing?
    No.
    People live in far colder climates than that.
    Coldest I've seen is -26, on a ski holiday at night.
    You know it's cold when the hairs in your nostrils freeze up and your trousers freeze and stick to your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i've found myself, one night when i was skiing, it was -16 in calm conditions and it's a hell of a lot easier to handle than say -3 with a biting wind
    but -13 wouldn't be dangerous for health as long as you're clothed appropriately i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

Have a read of this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11875131

It can get to -60c at this place. To answer the OP, -8 or -13 will not make much difference to you if there is no wind chill and you are wrapped up. add in some wind or worse get wet and even 0c you will start to get hypothermic pretty damn quickly. You will certainly not have any trouble breathing until you get to the sort of temps outlined in the article linked above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I found -16C quite cold last winter but I think if you had it all the time you wouldn't notice it that much.

The start of the current cold spell felt a lot worse than it did a few days into it as one got use to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

LOL ... so u thought that people in sweden, alaska, canada, russia etc dont get out from house during winter ? O_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭ongarite

I was in Northern China bordering Siberia earlier in this year and it was -30C.
    I had never experienced cold like it in all my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Just curious.
    What are the effects of different minice tempertures.
    e.g. Would -13 feel a lot colder than say -8?
    It all seems cold to me, so not sure if I could tell the difference.

Went out in -12 this evening round 11.30. Very very calm, so at first it didnt seem to bad. But when you move and the air is coming against your face it is painful! One thing i noticed is that your breath doesnt fog up before you, not sure why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

doOh wrote: »
    LOL ... so u thought that people in sweden, alaska, canada, russia etc dont get out from house during winter ? O_o
    When did I ever say that :confused:
    I asked
    would it be dangerous to your health or breathing?

The cold is lethal , see the mayo man that perished in the cold last night, body found this morning.
    I was out in the cold yesturday and my hands were so cold that I couldnt feel them, pure red, it defintely wasnt good for my health!!
    Its a genuine question, people with asthma wouldnt want to be walking around in -13 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Wind chill is important, as it determines whether you cool down quickly. Which is why Ireland can sometimes fell cold, although the mercury isn't very low. My Canadian friends don't worry much about temps down to -20C or so, but would below that. I've been out and about in Easter Europe at -17C for hours on end and had no problems, although I had a couple of extra layers that people on Ireland wouldn't bother with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

When did I ever say that :confused:
    I asked

The cold is lethal , see the mayo man that perished in the cold last night, body found this morning.
    I was out in the cold yesturday and my hands were so cold that I couldnt feel them, pure red, it defintely wasnt good for my health!!
    Its a genuine question, people with asthma wouldnt want to be walking around in -13 etc.

yes. the poor man.:(
    he was dropped to the front door of his house and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

yes. the poor man.:(
    he was dropped to the front door of his house and all.

Details weren't given, you'd wonder did he lose his keys or something and couldn't get in???

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

whats the lowest temp recorded in this cold snap and where?

Whats the coldest its been in Dublin too?

Anyone know?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

DeVore wrote: »
    whats the lowest temp recorded in this cold snap and where?

Whats the coldest its been in Dublin too?

Anyone know?

DeV.
    NEA: Baltinglass had -15.9c last night
    PWS: My station had -15.3c
    MET: Carlow had -12.9c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

And Casement -12.0C last night, Dublin AP -8.4C at end of November to give a couple of Dublin figures

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Details weren't given, you'd wonder did he lose his keys or something and couldn't get in???

Don't know. I just hope it was swift.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've been in -27c in an utterly still wind and it felt reasonable, much nicer than sometimes in Dublin! However, inside a minute our jeans were starting to become "crunchy" and stiff. I would not like to have been outside in it for more than a few minutes.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Gerry Murphy said it was -16.4C in Kilkenny last night at Mount Juliet.

Advertisement