Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.ICS Files on Android?

• 03-12-2010 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭

Hi - my girlfriend has just started a freelancing job and is sent a .ics calendar file to her email each week outlining the appointments she should carry out during the forthcoming week. She is currently looking at the Samsung Galaxy Europa as a cheap smartphone with some e-mail and internet connectivity which could be useful to her - especially as it has wifi.

However, is it possible to open and store a .ics file on one of these Android phones without too much difficulty each time? I have found very conflicting reports on this as I search the net - I'm not too clued in on this myself. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

from the Google Calendar Wikipedia entry:
    "The application can import Microsoft Outlook calendar files (.csv) and iCalendar files (.ics, the de facto open calendaring file format)"

If she imports it into her Google Calendar account (you get one with Gmail) it will show up in the Android calendar once you sync them (or should).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Yes I find they sync very nicely into my Gmail account, and then show on the phone without issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Great - thank you. That information is really helpful. Presumably you could use the function in Gmail to grab e-mails from other accounts in order to take advantage of this functionality? As far as I know the e-mail is sent to an address @ the domain of the company in question which she has pop3 access to. I take it she could sync that through her Gmail, onto a google calendar and then on into the android?

Just want to make sure everything works fairly automatically so it isn't too cumbersome for her :)

Advertisement