Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Traffic lights in Thomondgate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    The word on the street (geddit !!) is that when Sarsfield st is finished they then move on to William st, so these could poles could possibly be for a temporary bus-stop to replace the William st one.
    By the way does anyone remember the road signs and notices in the local papers informing us that Sarsfield st would be closed for 2 weeks for these works.....it was closed for more than 3 months and still isn't finished !!!

You cant blame anyone for that Limerick is built on arches and tunnels, when they were doing the road works they found some of the arches were damaged so they had to be replaced. If they didnt replace them the road would have collapsed near the old bank which is a lovely building.

As regards the nothern ring road thats very much on plan with Limerick CO Co it will be like the childers road a single carriageway arching over to the industrial estate at plassey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

I don't notice too much difference in the traffic since they adjusted the timing of the lights a few days after they going into operation, though they could take away the pedestrian lights near the filling station now to ease the flow of traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

kilburn wrote: »
    You cant blame anyone for that Limerick is built on arches and tunnels, when they were doing the road works they found some of the arches were damaged so they had to be replaced. If they didnt replace them the road would have collapsed near the old bank which is a lovely building.

The reason (excuse) actually given was that one of the underground support walls was running at an angle to what was expected.:rolleyes:
    The original road closure notice was for 2 weeks.....at the end of the 2 weeks they were still erecting barriers and had just started to scrape off the old road surface.
    God knows what they will find under William st. to prolong the works...Shergar's remains maybe:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

underground support arches underground walls same thing pedantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

Think so.

It's worth remembering Thomondgate is a residential area, it shouldn't having a main road running through it. There should be a Northern bypass (actually, is there going to be one with the Moyross link road?) taking all the traffic out of the city centre.

FFS - so WHAT it's a residential area??? you'd still want to be able to get around normally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

monorailmap.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

electron wrote: »
    FFS - so WHAT it's a residential area??? you'd still want to be able to get around normally!

You would, but you wouldn't want your area used a through-way for all National traffic.

I bet if the NRA ran a main road through wherever you're living you'd be annoyed.

Limerick should have a Northern bypass.

Limerick should have a Northern bypass.

It does. It swings west and then south and meets up with the Southern ring road.

You could, up to a few weeks ago, have driven from Coonagh, through Caherdavin, out Longpavement, right at Parteen, through Larkins Cross, out to Gillogue and out the back road and end up at the Northern Campus(Clare side) of UL and out onto the Dublin road. Tightly kept secret by the rat racers.

The Council / UL saw that little trick closed recently though. :D

Berty wrote: »
    It does. It swings west and then south and meets up with the Southern ring road.

You could, up to a few weeks ago, have driven from Coonagh, through Caherdavin, out Longpavement, right at Parteen, through Larkins Cross, out to Gillogue and out the back road and end up at the Northern Campus(Clare side) of UL and out onto the Dublin road. Tightly kept secret by the rat racers.

I know, incredible UL can bridge the Shannon and the NRA can't (north of Limerick city). Sorta glad it's closed, UL shouldn't be a ratrun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That's been closed for well over a year.

• Advertisement

That's been closed for well over a year.

Don't think so, Cllr. Cathal Crowe was saying he'd be keeping it open a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Don't think so, Cllr. Cathal Crowe was saying he'd be keeping it open a few weeks ago.

I recall seeing it blocked off at its entrance to UL last January for certain. Since September UL have painted a yellow box, as people drove to the end and parked there, hopping the muck embankment. I've also seen them clamp cars there

Crowe is going on about the right of way and how he can use it as a mechanism to keep it open.

It was a condition in the planning for Cappavilla student village and the new buildings on the Clare campus that this road be closed off. UL closed it on a "temporary" basis as a result, and now they are seeking to officially extinguish the right of way.

To be honest Crowe can do little when it was stipulated in the planning this was going to happen. Parish pump politics at its best if he gets his way.

I recall seeing it blocked off at its entrance to UL last January for certain. Since September UL have painted a yellow box, as people drove to the end and parked there, hopping the muck embankment. I've also seen them clamp cars there

Crowe is going on about the right of way and how he can use it as a mechanism to keep it open.

It was a condition in the planning for Cappavilla student village and the new buildings on the Clare campus that this road be closed off. UL closed it on a "temporary" basis as a result, and now they are seeking to officially extinguish the right of way.

To be honest Crowe can do little when it was stipulated in the planning this was going to happen. Parish pump politics at its best if he gets his way.

It's not open long enough to be a right of way, afaik. Certainly hard to see how it could be a vehicular right of way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

You would, but you wouldn't want your area used a through-way for all National traffic.

I bet if the NRA ran a main road through wherever you're living you'd be annoyed.

to be quite honest with you, i would take a national road over a cul de sac with speed bumps any day.
    if everyone demanded a *residential area* for their own neighbourhood, there would be no normal roads left to drive at all :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Mc Love wrote: »
    Dont see them getting the funding for that to be honest. And with the Tunnel there, people could and should use that

Nah, feck that. Don't have a couple of hundred of € to spare every year and don't even bother the old "you'd save that in diesel" speech.
    No. No you would not. No way would you save almost €4 in diesel per day taking the tunnel, so I get up a bit earlier and join the other 99% of people who get off at Caherdavin and snake their way through the city center.
    And I'm coming from Ennis direction, going to Anacotty and even then it's not worth it.
    And I'm not exaggerating, out of all the traffic only the very odd car goes through the tunnel but the vast majority of people take the (very inadequate for the volume) exit and head straight for the city.
    I do take the tunnel every now and then, maybe twice a week, three times max, but only going to work, never coming back.
    That way I only spend max €20 a month or thereabouts, but taking the tunnel every day would cost me over €70 a month and for that they can go stick their tunnel up their tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I was thinking recently coming off the bridge turning onto Clare St that it will be a very tight turn for a truck to make which will cause it to slow traffic wishing to turn right into the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm considering a petition to have all 5 sets removed:mad:

ninty9er wrote: »

It's an absolute joke if you ask me,makes no sense there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

It's to make using the tunnel more attractive is my guess.

• Advertisement

not gonna work if you ask me,dropping the price is the only way IMO.
    I for one use it when I'm making trips home,I live 200 metres away from the Clonmacken roundabout and use the M7 as far as Roscrea,so it's pretty good value to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

You can sign me up for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You can sign me up for that as well, Im all for lights where they are needed but those lights are not needed especially at the roundabout, there are way 2 many lights there now...and I for one am sick of trying to travel around the city for work...and no I CANT use the tunnel everytime as its too expensive and doesnt serve the whole city...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Comhrá

You can sign me up for that as well, Im all for lights where they are needed but those lights are not needed especially at the roundabout, there are way 2 many lights there now...and I for one am sick of trying to travel around the city for work...and no I CANT use the tunnel everytime as its too expensive and doesnt serve the whole city...

Add me to any petition you get organised.
    I'm sick and tired of those new and unneccessary traffic-lights ... a waste of money and electricity and only serving to further retard the flow of traffic.

They are a disgrace IMHO.

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Also willing to sign a petition to have them removed or to re-evaluate traffic lights placed in the last year

Seems they are going to be up and running within the next few days,stupidity removing that roundabout

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Twas quite amusing today to notice the amount of people who still drove "around" the roundabout when turning right towards Athlunkard St.

Twas quite amusing today to notice the amount of people who still drove "around" the roundabout when turning right towards Athlunkard St.

The lights were flashing when I went through it yesterday so it was more or less still like a roundabout because you have to yield to the right anyway.

I noticed that coming off the bridge going left the turn is so tight you can barely stay in the left lane and the two(new lanes) heading outbound on Clare St will only cause people to swerve from the left to the right lane and back to the left.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The lights were flashing when I went through it yesterday so it was more or less still like a roundabout because you have to yield to the right anyway.

I noticed that coming off the bridge going left the turn is so tight you can barely stay in the left lane and the two(new lanes) heading outbound on Clare St will only cause people to swerve from the left to the right lane and back to the left.

Yeah they were flashing when I went through too, but I noticed a lot of cars on the approach from Clare St. veering slightly left before turning right as if they still had to actually drive around the wee mound that used to be there for the roundabout.

You're right, it is bananas when you come off onto Clare St. then and you're faced with the two lanes, I found myself doing exactly what you described.

• Advertisement

Yeah they were flashing when I went through too, but I noticed a lot of cars on the approach from Clare St. veering slightly left before turning right as if they still had to actually drive around the wee mound that used to be there for the roundabout.

You're right, it is bananas when you come off onto Clare St. then and you're faced with the two lanes, I found myself doing exactly what you described.

It's a total case of a waste of money,when are they switching the traffic lights on does anyone know?

Advertisement