Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Traffic lights in Thomondgate

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

The sad news is, the cretin responsible for all of this is not finished yet, he's(I am presuming it's a he) got more lights to roll out yet, determined to kill this city stone dead, unaccountable public servant gobsh1te.

jbkenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Outside the SVP Hostel thing on Clare Street people used to park and now it has become a free flow area. I guarantee they will still park there blocking the lane and NOTHING will be done.

Next door is a HSE house which has had a lot of problems recently, one being your ones pink Punto getting smashed to pieces. She'll( Im going to assume ) will likely refuse to park anywhere but right outside her door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

The lights on the bridge were turned on middle of last week, they were on for 1 day and traffic was backed up to Arthurs Quay all day long, They've been flashing ever since.

They're not being put in to force people to use the tunnel (which is at the other side of town), it's part of the city orbital route that's being brought in (in conjunction with the tunnel) to allow for the pedestrianisation of O'Connell Street from William to Roches Street.

I'm pretty sure i posted all this before, but anyway it's not a case of some big conspiracy theory, these lights are needed for the orbital route to work efficiently, the problem is that, it appears they WILL NOT arrange it so all the lights work in sequence which would allow a constant flow of traffic through the many sets of lights along the route. I will however agree that there should never be 2 or 3 sets of lights within 100m of each other....that's just stupid. I mean there must be at most 50m between Baals Bridge lights and Abbey Bridge, a stupid idea but then again Abbey Bridge probably shouldn't have been built so close to another very busy junction/bridge, It might not be a main road or a large bridge but i think the planners underestimated the volume of traffic it handles on a daily basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

foinse wrote: »

They're not being put in to force people to use the tunnel (which is at the other side of town), it's part of the city orbital route that's being brought in (in conjunction with the tunnel) to allow for the pedestrianisation of O'Connell Street from William to Roches Street.

I know someone working in the City Council, that told me thats exactly what they are being put in place for - to stop people driving through the city

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

They were on on Friday afternoon, on the bus to town from UL at 3pm and traffic was backed up Clare Street and was backed up all the way to the Hunt Museum at the other side!

WHAT. ON. EARTH!

Whoever gave the go ahead for this should be ASHAMED!

They have also done away with the bus stops at the top of Clare Street.

I am actually irate!

• Advertisement

I decided to test my patience today and left town along Charlottes Quay. I'm amazed the council signed off on this. It was crazy. Now, just so people know as soon as you pass Balls Bridge and head to the 2nd lights(new lights) there are 2 lanes heading straight on but if you happen to stay in the right lane this lane is for turning right at the next lights so all of those people ending up trying to merge left.

The tailback was as far as King Johns Castle and as far as the A1 bar coming the other way. The lights did NOT work together, rather they worked against each other and this created bedlam.

I'm avoiding that area from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Since this was the N7, until the completion of the tunnel, M7, surely it was already an orbital route!?
    All this is going to do is push people back to doing the ratruns they were doing before the tunnel opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Jaysus that clare street\abbey bridge lights are a joke. 20 fecking minutes yesterday to get from clare street to the abbey bridge. Most of the traffic coming from there goes over the bridge and yet the arrow gets assigned the least amount fo time. Crazy, whoever thought this up should be shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yet another reason for people to not bother coming into the town centre to shop, and to just go to a shopping centre or another city instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I've just come down Clare Street from the Parkway roundabout to go straight on at Abbey Bridge.
    Whoever thought having those two sets of lights is a moron and a gombeen, whoever designed it is a lunatic and whoever signed off on it is nothing but a raving psychopath.
    That entire department should be shot, encased in concrete and sunk into the Atlantic.
    Unless of course this is part of an extremely clever and well-coordinated scheme to disrupt traffic in the city, cause gridlock and drive away as many people as possible.
    In that case it is a raving success.
    The argument for taking the tunnel is that you save fuel.
    There is no way on Earth and in Hell that I will save €18/week on diesel by taking the tunnel over the city and if the city becomes impossible to pass, watch out the people on the rat runs, Ima comin'!
    We should start a thread on good rat runs to avoid the city and the tolls, watch this space!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

Last week it took me 25 mins to get from parkway roundabout down to the new abbey bridge lights. Was sitting at the lights for nearly 4 mins waiting to go right over the bridge, before the light went green. Im so angry, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the roundabout that was there, traffic was moving fine then. To have 3 sets of traffic lights within the space of 50 metres is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Its the right light that baffles, most of the traffic coming down that road turn right to go over the bridge and yet its assigned the least amount of time, insanity or stupidity take your pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,341 ✭✭✭✭phog

While I dont agree with the new lights on Clare street can everyone calm down a small bit and at least wait until they are fine tuned.

When the lights were installed on the Condell Rd and Shelbourne Rd juntion and the new ones in Thomondgate they caused tail backs too but with a bit of adjustment they seem to have improved the flow, maybe not back to what was there but at leaset everyone gets the green light now.

I travel from watchouse cross every morning via Hassetts and find it quicker than shooting up New Road to come out near Fraser's corner, that's with me having to go through the new set of lights.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Castletroy to the city centre was an absolute joke yesterday. Easily 30 minutes when it usually takes 15 to do the journey at the same time. Just sitting in a line of traffic.

watch out the people on the rat runs, Ima comin'!
    We should start a thread on good rat runs to avoid the city and the tolls, watch this space!

Me too. Left town at 6pm. Saw the tailback at the Hunt Museum so slinked down by the Granary and slipped down Pennywell and onto the Dublin road avoiding the mayhem.

The only saving grace is that the traffic flow at the Clare St Junction with Pennywell is severely affected by the new lights so nearly all the cars from Pennywell could get through the lights onto the Dublin road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Its time for those of you living in the city to complain to the eejits calling to your doors in the next few days! I doubt people living in the county will have any impact on what happens in the city

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Mc Love wrote: »
    Its time for those of you living in the city to complain to the eejits calling to your doors in the next few days! I doubt people living in the county will have any impact on what happens in the city

Now there's an idea!
    Pity the average politician doesn't listen to what is said, will say anything to get elected and will instantly forget everything he's promised to anyone once he's in power.
    It's a pity that FF have cemented the image of politicians as liars, conmen, thieves, corrupt bastards who would never sell their Granny down the swanney for their own gain if they can sell yours first.
    Terry Pratchett had it right when he suggested that all politicians, once elected, should instantly be thrown in jail.
    It's just easier that way and saves everyone a lot of grief and time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The onslaught of unnecessary traffic lights is to continue with New lights currently under construction at the intersection of Curry Street and the Dock Road...when and where will this madness end..

Advertisement