Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris or Madrid Marathon

• 03-12-2010 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

Have followed boards for a while, some great advice given out on here. Just wanted to ask people's thoughts on either the Paris or Madrid Marathons. Have you completed them? Would you rate either for someone thinking of doing their first marathon?

I'm tossing up between the two which are both in April.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Hi

Haven't done either of these. But other's on this site have completed these marathon's. From what i've read on this site (and am open to correction). I believe the madrid marathon has more hills in it and may not be the best if you are looking for a particular time or for your first one.

Believe that the Paris Marathon is a fast course and has got good feedback on this site.
    I'm sure someone will be along tomorrow to answer this question for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

I have done Paris (2010) and if it is to be your first I can fully recommend it. In my opinion and it is mine, you should set out to enjoy your first marathon. Yes by all means have a time in mind but be prepared to just let it go if need be. If you do not enjoy it, you will not have another go.

The Paris marathon starts on the Champs Elyse and for the first few kms winds its way through the city. In and around 35km it picks up the river and you get see Notre Dame Etc.

Having never been to Madrid I cannot comment on the sights but where ever you choose remember to look up and around you as you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Haven't ran Paris but I believe congestion can be a problem.

Ran Madrid this year and it was tough. Quite hilly, it is at altitude (not a lot so probably won't notice it) and can be very warm. I would recommend it if you weren't chasing a time. Wheels came off the wagon for me when I hit a monster hill at 20 miles after running through a park for 3 miles with no shade in 30 degree heat.

Organisation etc is very good. Major downfall was the registration process, had to set up an interbank transfer, couldn't register using credit card. May be different next year. If you're entering you will need to do so in the coming weeks (before new year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Well Madrid might be your only option now, I got an e-mail from the organisers yesterday to say Paris is sold out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

groovyg wrote: »
    Well Madrid might be your only option now, I got an e-mail from the organisers yesterday to say Paris is sold out

If that's the case thumbs up for Madrid :)

Belfast marathon is usually a week later. Less traveling involved. I've ran Belfast 3 times and it's OK. Madrid is a bit easier on the eye than Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

is Rotterdam not on the same weekend as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭central park

Paris Marathon has closed for past few weeks but places still available through charities. Check out their website for details. Also they require a medical cert in order to take part. I'm looking forward to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Probably too late now, I did Paris 2010.... Pluses ... Paris scenery , pacemakers,
    negatives. med cert. Required so an extra expense....
    Last detail is both good and bad.... It's huge numbers.... Great when you look over your shoulder at start.... But my previous marathon was dingle so at time

s it was really strange to be constantly surrounded by crowds!...

Advertisement